Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Someone stole the boombox off of my front steps after it was delivered and before I got home so I guess I will not be building one of these as soon as I had hoped. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I didn't think my neighborhood was crime central, but it appears I was a little too trusting. No it wasn't insured and no signature was required to my surprise - but I did not instruct the seller to do that either. So it is largely my fault. :cannotbe:

I've talked to the local police and the USPS and there is not much either can do to help me.

The world is full of dishonest people which should come as no surprise to anyone.. :whazzat:

Edit:

I just bought the last one available from this vendor. Requested signature confirmation on shipping.

kevinkr said:
Someone stole the boombox off of my front steps after it was delivered and before I got home so I guess I will not be building one of these as soon as I had hoped. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I didn't think my neighborhood was crime central, but it appears I was a little too trusting. No it wasn't insured and no signature was required to my surprise - but I did not instruct the seller to do that either. So it is largely my fault. :cannotbe:

I've talked to the local police and the USPS and there is not much either can do to help me.

The world is full of dishonest people which should come as no surprise to anyone.. :whazzat:

Edit:

I just bought the last one available from this vendor. Requested signature confirmation on shipping.

this is terrible! Maybe they were hoping for a real 47 Labs transport!

brgds said:
I've found this 10n (100n original) as the most critical of all caps.
I've tried something like 10 various types, including paper, teflon, ero, even mica, and the clear winner in my setup is MultiCap RTX 10n. YMMV.

Yes indeed, that location is very critical (C906). I tried different caps as well, including BG NX, V-Cap, polypropylene Panasonics, other types of ERO, and also RTX and in spite the exotic nature of some of those caps, the original 0.1uF electrolytic was actually better.

Only with ERO I could find improvement in the direction that I liked.

MIT RTX is a fine cap, very detail and neutral, but to me ERO is more emotional although not as refined.

1837 is a bit rough on the edges and bright. 1830 (I'm using 0.01/63) is smoother.

I'm also not crazy about the highs with RTX, they are bit too forward, lacking texture. And that's not only with application in that particular case but also everywhere else I tried them (mostly in coupling).

However, I only tried 0.1uF here and will see about 0.01u whenever find a chance to dissasemble the unit again.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:

this is terrible! Maybe they were hoping for a real 47 Labs transport!

:D Thanks!

No doubt some little criminal saw a moderately big box sitting on my steps, and couldn't resist taking what was not his. I shouldn't be too surprised given the impersonal, unconnected, and immoral/amoral society that is modern America. I should have known better, this isn't some backwater rural community, we have gangs, petty criminals, murderers, and roving packs of bored teens with nothing better to do than get into mischief. Given this it was probably inevitable that something would get stolen from my property - I'm actually rather lucky it wasn't one of the countless items I had shipped here in the past that was worth substantial money. All they had to do was open my front gate and walk 5 meters.

I have ordered a replacement RCEZ32 which hopefully will get here intact. They aren't too easy to find. And believe me I will make this one work regardless of whether or not it has exactly the same board set as the RCEZ31.

Peter,
in my system the influence of this cap is not so subtle, as you describe, comparing to other caps - only with MIT the sound stage is far wider and a bit deeper, sources’ localization is very well defined, the whole stage is a step back, the sound is airy and easy, and bass reproduction is (probably) best I ever had.

I've been working on a display last evening and this is what I came up with:

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5,328
So I did try MIT RTX 0.01uF today and got similar impression as previously. It is fine cap, but for my taste it sounds a bit "extreme": the highs are exagerated, the bass is overblown, the ambience noises do not sound natural and overall it's a bit edgy. It sounded better in my setup with outer foil on + (C906 location).

Now, ERO 1830 do sound nothing like audiophile cap: it's a bit flat, does not impress in highs or bass (although it's not bad either), and while it does not excell in presentation of specific sounds, it portrays very well the atmosphere of the musical event. I couldn't get it right with RTX.

ERO is also sensitive to orientation: I choose the position with less forward highs and more emphasis on the midrange.

Thanks for the heads up on this project Peter. After the pleasant surprise I had using the PS1 as a CD player (with a couple mods) a while back I'm looking forward to this one.

Does anyone know if there's a place in England I can order that Citizen crystal, and the LM7808 regulator from or - better yet - one they could send me if I paypal them the cost?

I know Farnell stock the LM7808, but not the crystal and I don't want to order just one item. The RS website appears to be down as well.

Many thanks.

- John

Peter Daniel said:
ERO is also sensitive to orientation: I choose the position with less forward highs and more emphasis on the midrange. [/B]

so, I looked through my parts to get all the .01uF caps to play with, and found a yellow cap that says:

REL-CAP
.01uF+-5%200V
RT103J2A

looks to be a polystyrene and tin foil, according to Percy's catalog. I remember playing with these in a RIAA filter and they had a very sweet sound to them. Any experience with these?