Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

The Birch-Lead-Birch-Lead-Birch plateau will provide a nice platform to keep the trannies and some electronics quiet...:shhh:

Attachments

• birchleadsandwich.jpg
    birchleadsandwich.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,330
shigaclone

Hi Erik , my hat to you:drool: -look at all those tools and the workshop-my tools are primitive!!!
Just a problem since replace the new cd platter, certainly the gain in focus and imaging are a lot more sharper but i am having problem with certain disc where it would refuse to read?
I have tried to make sure the distance from disc to laser to be exact . The problem is more likely to be happened with warped disc.

Hi there!
First I want to thank evrybody for sharing the shigaclone story, specialy Peter Daniel. He inspired me to make me one too.

Had some troubels in the beginning! But now it runnes, and how! Before I had a modified Parasound C/BD 2000, that was allready sounded very good.
Before that I had a Marantz CD80, modified and a Teac VRDS 10 SE modified. With all models I made a step forwards in music. But now the shigaclone! And only running for a few minutes allready, beats them all. Specialy in air, details and dynamics. What I did! I Got my C/BD 2000, pulled evrything out of it and got the new setup pulled in. I will sent some pictures when I am ready, at all.

Thanks again evrybody for sharing this knowledge. Teake

brgds said:

Could you describe the character of these changes please, just to know what to concentrate on when listening?

Just like audio1st I didn`t calculate the exact value needed, but just whacked in all the values I had laying around. mkt and mkp wimas from 0.1 to 0.022 uF.

At first the sound seemed less blooming, and to have lost a bit of the instrument colour. the greatest of this affect occuring with the 0.022uF.

the highs also seemed a bit less extended, and the overal sound became somewhat louder.- I still cant explain why the highs arent more extended , as there is more air present for sure. -

this all didn`t make any good sense until i went back to 'no capacitor' and all the bloom and instument colour was back. the amount of details were seriously reduced, and somehow i just kept skipping cd`s and songs. it were all very nice round tones, but there was something left to desire.

when putting the 0.022uF back in, I knew what i was missing; Loads more details, air, better precense, better articulation, better micro dynamics. at the cost of a bit of instrument colour, bloom, and perhaps macro dynamics (not quite sure about that though)
the overal discription for me would be "more transparent'

For me, I`m letting that cap in place, for me its making the music much more interesting.

This is a great mod that costs hardly a dime, and if you put some time into trying some values out, can get you either a nice tuning of the sound of your liking, or perhaps that last bit of extra details and air you always wanted ;-)

thanks for the tip Audio1st!

intense-tavda said:
Again! Hi Rikkert. I also put it together with the stuf I had layin around. Elna cerafines, silmic II and vishay mkp 1837. I have it runnin now for the night, and will see if something changed in sound tomorrow. I will let you know! Mojo, Teake

let us know if you discover anything interesting teake. The clone has suprised me serveral times very favorable ;)

Jims; the link that Audio1st posted is the capacitor I changed.

Hi

I have searched quite a bit for an american supplier of an rc-ez31b, or rc-ez51 and nothing. I ordered an rc-ez31b few weeks ago from partstore.com, it was suppose to be a refurbished unit they listed it as in stock. But after 1 month they told me that it was delayed indefinitely.

Sorry

JimS

Hi

I have searched quite a bit for an american supplier of an rc-ez31b, or rc-ez51 and nothing. I ordered an rc-ez31b few weeks ago from partstore.com, it was suppose to be a refurbished unit they listed it as in stock. But after 1 month they told me that it was delayed indefinitely.

Sorry

JimS

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jims said:
Hi

Sorry

JimS

The '31 is pretty close to impossible to find in the USA, although it is apparently still readily available in Canada and elsewhere. (I know, I tried very hard to procure one here in the USA about 8 months ago.) Someone on the thread can probably be persuaded to help you get one. Definitely worth it.

Mine is based on the similar, but considerably more complicated RC-EZ32, but at this point it is probably unobtainium here as well. Should you find one of those refer to my RC-EZ32 posts for instructions on modification - other than the appropriate chipset family it is not that similar to the RC-EZ31, but does offer stunning sonics once modified.