Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

jims said:
Audio1st,

Beautiful job. I want one just like it. How does it sound? What changes di you make to the board.

JimS

Hi, It sounds the most natural to me so far.
I ended up with a single 8V supply because it sounded better to me.
Also kept the original oscillator and C906, but changed all the other mentioned caps with low cost Rubycon's of similar values.
I expect my "Monarchy Audio delux 18b" DAC may be the weak link now?

Attachments

• slopein.jpg
    slopein.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,917
Yes we took the trouble of taking a motor carefully apart and getting rid of the coils etc...and use it in its empty housing...

We mounted it (you have to buy 2 boomboxes...1 small tiny white wheel per machine ...hahahahaha) with a second motor this time one powered and with a little tension on the belt.....and GO

Obviously it was an experiment and although it worked it had loads of jitter....(a lot of difficulties to overcome....first spindle/platform/belt/second spindle ..it all has to be perfectly straight but it is NOT....etc etc)

I will not go as far as making a better spindle (couple of mm thicker) with ball bearings and oil etc etc....We reckon it most certainly will work but the mounting as I have planned will suffice more than enough for me...

I probably have still some photo's of this experiment at home..I will search...

audio1st said:
Hi Erik, have you tried tuning the PS.?Here
I know you like to experiment and you also have the ears for it:worship:
I'm sure it has made a difference to mine..

No I have not although I do use the wimas in other positions..

Today I took some time to built the mock-up to get a good feel for sizing and design...

This way I know later on how to exactly use the expensive ebony/copper/acryl....etc.

The powersupply is imitated by the crosswood between the frontlegs..

The height is approx. 75 cm.

Attachments

• model.jpg
    model.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,510
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Metal Source

Peter Daniel said:

The bars have been cut on table saw and smoothed out on belt sander, they are connected with 10-32 screws (two per each corner). The size is approx 7 x 7.5 x 1.25" There is 3/16 copper plate attached on a bottom and it holds the mechanism:

<SNIP>

Ok, I am over my summer model aircraft frenzy and ready to build my Shigaclone. I want to do a Peter Daniels-style bronze/copper frame and am looking at metal sources. So far I'm looking at OnlineMetals.com. Any other sources worth seeing before I place an order?

Also, for another project, anyone know of a good online source for Corian sheets?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi