Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 91 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2008, 05:33 PM   #901
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just a quick tip to those using the JVC transport as standard (i.e. with the puck). You get a slight increase (OK then, I guess this falls under the 'perceived' banner ) in quality by taking the magnetic out of the puck, applying a tin layer of cork (or rubber mat) to the underside to protect from scratching the CDs, and reducing the magnetic 'pull' slightly by creating a slight gap between magnet and CD. No more oscillation, and - I think - this means less work for the servos/error correction circuits, which MAY result in an increase in sound quality.

Worth a try at any rate - it's free
Old 10th May 2008, 05:51 PM   #902
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default spring resonance calc

don't forget to divide the suspended weight by four to account for the use of four springs.
Old 10th May 2008, 06:49 PM   #903
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default Ace is the place?

The Ace hardware store's selection of springs was numerous, just not right. I also saw that any spring in the size range of interest would be ~$3-4 each.
I'll chip in for a dozen or more of the McMaster-Carr #9657K101.

Would any of you be interested in 4?..this is a one-time offer, pm me if so.

I'll let this idea run for a few days before I place the order....shhhh...be verwy, verwy qwiet, don't want to provoke the moderators into moving this into the marketplace.

As to the use of o-rings: I'll use them as tensioners. I'll look for the x-section, length and number needed to compress the springs in order to kill resonances.
Old 10th May 2008, 08:16 PM   #904
diyAudio Member

Default Re: spring resonance calc

Quote:
Originally posted by okapi
don't forget to divide the suspended weight by four to account for the use of four springs.
oops......

Ed:

I'll take the other 4 springs, provided that you can throw a few other parts in your order for me as well.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:17 PM   #905
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: shigaclone

Quote:
Originally posted by quan
Hi guys, need help -again ,accidentally i destroyed the pad for positive 8v in -position -old choke was removed-was using a drill to widen the hole but went too far thus stripped all pad!!
How do i go about fixing the problem.
Could direct connection to C902 work?
Quan:
The board is single layer, and yes a connection to C952 (Not C902 which should be a small smd cap totally unrelated to power.) should work fine. You haven't explained why the cap burned - did you put more than 10V power into the board? (C952 is only rated for 10V, with derating should not see more than 8V on a continuous basis for reliability.

Johnm:
I think my RCEZ32 based clone significantly outperforms my media server in some ways. It seems generally a touch more refined - nothing earth shattering as the server is quite good, and the differences aren't immediately apparent in casual listening. I think one particular area where the clone really seems to stand out is in the frequency extremes, the bottom octaves are extremely well defined, controlled and convincing, and in the very top octaves this is some of the cleanest "undigital" sound I have heard from cd.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:12 AM   #906
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hayenc
Thanks for the spring reference. Amazon has similar through Small Parts if you don't want 12. Ace did not quite have anything with a diameter that large.
Could this Small Parts P/N be suitable?

CSMW-0269

Thanks
Old 11th May 2008, 01:16 AM   #907
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could this Small Parts P/N be suitable?
I think so. Please note this spring is depicted as having a closed, but not ground, end. This means it will not rest upright on a flat surface. If you can accommodate that into your build, you should be fine. This says nothing about the balance between the spring rate and the weight of plinth upon it.

Click the image to open in full size.

The spring referenced earlier from McMaster-Carr has closed as well as ground ends. See below.

Old 11th May 2008, 01:52 AM   #908
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default balance

For the last couple of hours I should have been mindful of other things. As it was, I remained distracted with thoughts about the plinth. This is only a concept, I welcome comments and suggestions.

I see the plinth carrying the cd drive and laser mechanism. The plinth is made from a dense wood like hard maple, up to 2" thick. I see the springs countersunk into ~1" diameter holes near the corners of the plinth. It is likely rectangular in plan view. The countersinks are not equidistant from the corners of the plinth. Close, but offset just a little.

My mention of o-rings earlier (shoot, they could be rubber bands, just more of them) includes them being angled from vertical. Equal numbers of them in opposition to lend torsional stability to the mix. The points of attachment and number of them to be determined as the assembly becomes complete.

The sub-base for all of this receives the bottoms of the springs and provides the lower points of attachment for the tensioners. It is at least 1/2" thick baltic birch with slotted holes to allow adjusting it's position within the case. luvdunhill suggested the use of die spring screw caps for holding the ends of the springs. See below. Something like that will be needed.

We all know what happens to rubber bands over time. Their use can provide a solution for a time, I think. My thoughts for o-rings anticipates their longer lifespan.
Old 11th May 2008, 02:24 AM   #909
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed LaFontaine

I think so. Please note this spring is depicted as having a closed, but not ground, end.
Correct. This is something to consider. Thanks for advise
About the O rings honestly I cantīt figure how they go with springs assembly since I didnīt see a pic so far in this thread. No rubber bands at all, they wonīt last six months.

Time to bed now
Thanks again and later
Old 11th May 2008, 04:23 AM   #910
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question shigaclone

Thanks Kevin for the reply,
i have tried to connect the PS thru C952 which meant to removed anyway from RC-EZ31.
The problem is that- no power onto the transport board, the C902 which i think is a voltage regulator gets very hot and then smoke. It is not the cap that smoke.
The other thing that i noted as well that the transformer from the power supply start to hum or oscillate?.
Where should i check next?.

Hide this!Advertise here!