Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2008, 07:28 PM   #801
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Audio1st. Wanna buy an amp to match ?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...x/BlueLeds.jpg
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:34 PM   #802
diyAudio Member

I was always of the opinion that you could upgrade a mediocre CD player with a decent DAC. But now it seems you get a better upgrade by adding a better transport to a mediocre DAC. The old rubbish in rubbish out situation applies to digital? YES!!!
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:46 PM   #803
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anyone we know just bought the EZ51H on ebay for 11.50 ?

Audio1st. that'll be a no then!
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:19 PM   #804
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

i've been watching this thread since the first post... i dont know if its already been suggested. does anyone have tried to used separate 5V supply?
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:26 PM   #805
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
The circuit Kevin posted for the 32 has 3 different regulators for the required voltages. I have my supply done following that schematic and it uses a separate supply for the 8 volts driving the assembly. Should be hooking it up tomorrow. But of course, I won't have much to 'compare' it with.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:32 PM   #806
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

ahh ok... i may have miss that part...the transport only needs 8v but the 5v for the chipsets (IC901 & IC902) were from the internal regulator of the LA6541 chip..so i think using dedicated 5v supply will have some improvements..
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:45 PM   #807
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Peter tried a seperate 5v supply and said he didn't like the sound. I think he says this on Page 1.

- John
Old 4th May 2008, 12:57 AM   #808
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Peter tried a seperate 5v supply and said he didn't like the sound. I think he says this on Page 1.

- John
I would stick with something close to what Peter recommends - he's pretty sharp. My mod documentation is for the RCEZ32 based version which uses chips from the same chip family but has an outboard micro-controller. The micro requires a 6V supply which is always on, and it manages everything including power to the mechanism. There is a 12V regulator and the 8V regulator that runs the mechanism - these are switched by the micro. I added the 12V regulator in order to mitigate the led flicker when the motors in the transport draw lots of current during seek and acceleration modes.

I have not modified the internal 5V supply on either of my mechanism/board sets because I found some odd sensitivities to configuration here - everything I tried here made the sound worse, not better, so I have even reinstalled the stock 1000uF and 470uF caps in those locations.

Today I did upgrade the caps on the output of the 8V supply to 1000uF standard black gates (16V) - I did hear a pretty significant improvement.

I also tried a 4A/12.6V filament transformer and thought I heard subtle improvements in bass heft, unfortunately this transformer will not fit in the available space, so I will be looking at the highest rated EI that will fit the space. (Probably 3A or so)
Old 4th May 2008, 01:05 AM   #809
diyAudio Moderator

I should mention I had a friend over here yesterday and he thought it sounded pretty good. The inevitable and unanswerable question was asked about why such a cheap piece of hardware could perform that well was not something I could answer with much more than the remarks that it was a fortuitous accident and the IC designers who designed these chips really knew what they were doing.

Edit:
I'm not sure this mechanism was designed with battery operation in mind, but power consumption does not seem excessive except during rapid disk seeks and acceleration at the start of disk play. I'm assuming that this helps by keeping modulation of the grounds and supply to a relative minimum.
Old 4th May 2008, 01:19 AM   #810
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hayenc
The circuit Kevin posted for the 32 has 3 different regulators for the required voltages. I have my supply done following that schematic and it uses a separate supply for the 8 volts driving the assembly. Should be hooking it up tomorrow. But of course, I won't have much to 'compare' it with.
Hi Hayenc,
Check it over closely several times before you first apply power. Errors with this micro-controller can be fatal to same..

Mine has been working for several weeks now without incident. I avoid disturbing the display and mcu board if possible. When I finally have the casework sorted out I'm going to add push button switches wired to the display board for play/stop/forward/reverse, and rely on the remote for access to all other functionality except power on/off.

Hide this!Advertise here!