Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Ok managed to get the amp back i used for troubleshooting and it is working fine on this so it look like its something to do with the pc, i have tryed the digtal in on my onboard sound and my audigy 2, both say they have a 44.1hz signal and that it is a valid signal and that it is has a lock on it but no audio from my apeakers so ill have to look into that.

Really glad that this is working, not being too knowladgable you tend to second guess yourself to much and expect the worse so im chuffed that its ok, i have a dac project there waiting to be sorted so i guess ill have to crack on and get that sorted aswell!

Well good news all round, managed to get the spdif in working on my audigy 2 and now my shigaclone is playing as i type through my sound card and out of my gainclone.
All mods are in place apart from the power supply, allready im impressed... im not one to claim i can hear subtle differances in music but i know songs ive listened to regularly seem to have more life to them. The difference i found in the guitar solo in status quo's sultans of swing is incredible. Im hoping the power supply brings with it some more great improvements, as soon as i get a new transformer i can put my psu to use!

Kevin if you really want to do the motors like me ...do not forget to take of 1 mm of the copper tube facing the laser...otherwise they come in contact...also saw a cut to tight fit them..and file a few very small gaps in the copper tube on locations where the plastic comes thru the board...

Attachments

• filecopper.jpg
    filecopper.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,505
Haha, that pitbull logo rocks :D

Btw, I got my clone up and running! The whole 8 volt problem was solved with the help of audio1st. Thanks.

I also got to replacing all the caps that are in the pdf, but the small ceramic one. I also replaced two caps in the stock power supply, and the results is great. I`m getting loads of detail and much more air.

I`m still also using very el cheapo metal film resistors at the digital out, hope replacing them will add to the sound also.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Puffin said:
Your linky no worky?

His link works fine, perhaps non USA IP addresses are blocked.

SteveSun:

The unit in question is a Philips and I would doubt it has the Sanyo mechanism and chipset.

Many of the Canadian members here are still able to get their hands on rcez31 models and have helped members here in the USA. So perhaps just ask some of them..

The rcez32 will also work extremely well, but is considerably more work. This is the model I used and I am beyond pleased with the performance. This model is pretty rare here as well, but I was able to get a couple of them. (See my contributions to the thread on the '32 if you are able to get one.)

I2S Please...

@ All, been reading the threat with lot's of interest and on the Dutch forum with Erik, very nice job.

Getting ready for the upgrades and am looking for a nice NOS DAC for use with this clone.

Now I'm getting pretty serious for trying the dddac without the Spdif unit. Directly to the I2S on the chip. Is this a possibility?

It would reduce jitter, save me some pesos for a better upgrade and better sound quality.

Please help me, and keep it up!!

BossR/René

Attachments

• dddac154mk2-basic-setup.gif
    dddac154mk2-basic-setup.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,162
Peter Daniel said:

Referring to page 16 of service manual: http://www.ferdsaudio.com/RC-EZ31.pdf

8V is connected right after choke L901 (the choke is recommended to be removed).

There is also 5V supply, based on Q902. If you want to use one super regulator you should probably start with 5V supply; in that case remove transistor Q902 and connect 5V wire from regulator to collector pad, the ground from regulator connects to negative pin of C916.

I just want to report that I tried this method of connecting a separate 5V supply but couldn't get it to work. The disc would spin for a while but when it stopped the display showed zero and the disc wouldn't play.