diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/120229-finally-affordable-cd-transport-shigaclone-story.html)

tvicol 29th March 2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarnera (Post 3872173)
I would like the top plate only. Is that possible?

Yes, I think so.
I still wait for some prices and minimum order quantity.

Regards,
Tibi

tubo 29th March 2014 02:53 PM

I would like a chassis if its available. Thanks

Turbon 29th March 2014 03:07 PM

I am interested but want to see the price first.

Regards

dimkasta 31st March 2014 08:53 AM

I would be interested for the top plate too. The black part, not the silver one

angcl 2nd April 2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimkasta (Post 3874721)
I would be interested for the top plate too. The black part, not the silver one

Like also ,see the price frist.

Almeg69 2nd April 2014 09:39 AM

I would be interested in a full chassis kit :-)

tvicol 2nd April 2014 09:44 AM

I'm currently discussing with manufacturer different options for top and bottom in order to make price more accessible.
In any case, minimum order is 50 pcs. therefore a GB need to be run.
As soon I get complete offer, I'll open a separate thread for GB.

Regards,
Tibi

dimkasta 10th April 2014 07:56 PM

We ve been living in the GB constellation lately... Time to get back to discussing improvements and propositions. Unfortunately my experiments have halted for a while now since work is pwning me hard. I hope to get back in track this weekend.

Earlier this week, I came across an article talking about how vibration can induce noise on an oscillating crystal. The issue if you want to look it up is called "Vibration induced phase noise" and it seems to affect crystals, since they are more or less piezoelectric in principle.

Actually the entire vibration analysis made some sense about Peter's initial observations about how the chassis and bolt attachment affected the performance and sound. In a few words my thoughts are that the large metal slab has a high frequency resonance which is more easy to mechanically dampen (for example with wood), and allows some extra mass dampening. At the same time, attaching the turntable with only two bolts keeps the mecha sturdy enough to prevent it from moving around too much making the eye lose focus or track, but at the same time allows some elasticity which but keeps the high frequency vibrations coming from the motors, away from the rest of the devices (crystal or capacitors).

Now how can we make this work even further to our advantage? We all have heard about wood treating caps... well the next step should be treating the crystal. As a first experiment I would suggest some extra mass around the crystal. For example some rubber bands around the metal can. The more the mass, the better it should behave. It should be really easy to test and verify as a theory. And if this proves effective, perhaps moving to more active treatments like wood, or wax or whatever floats your boat as dampening material.

I plan on testing it myself this weekend, but I thought I should share it earlier as a theory since I am pretty curious.

tubo 10th April 2014 09:42 PM

hi Dimkasta,

what about using some blu tacks. heres the link, Amazon.com: Blu-Tack Re-usable Adhesive: Everything Else

can wrap the motor body, crystal, and wherever you think would benefit from it.

dimkasta 10th April 2014 10:27 PM

As I said whatever floats your boat.
Bluetack acts more or less like wax, so it should work.

However, I would not use it for initial experiments. It is oily and leaves some nasty residue. I would prefer something cleaner and more easily removable for experimentation. Like a rubber or mdf disc.