Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 720 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2013, 01:51 AM   #7191
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure if I should use a Bobken or a P-A SSR01 for the separate 5V supply. Posting here instead of in my own "killer" thread since this one gets more traffic for maybe helping me with this choice.
Old 9th May 2013, 02:25 AM   #7192
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Why don't you kill us all, and then enlighten us with the results??
Old 9th May 2013, 07:18 AM   #7193
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The source was JVC RCEZ51, and I was very impressed by the quaility of the transport.
I do have a JVC RC-EZ51... new in the original box...
Make me an offer...
Old 9th May 2013, 08:05 AM   #7194
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offer. I just have bought a working JVC RC-ST3 for 21 shipped. There is a Sanyo mechanic inside (hopefully), will see.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:53 PM   #7195
diyAudio Member

I have added a 47uF cap at the output of salas to reduce the ripple and I have moved the salas ground connection from the 7808 ground to a close point on the pcb. The cap is directly connected there.

Click the image to open in full size.

Noise has dropped to about 10mV from 40mV. Nice one, but I believe it can go even lower... plus I m getting some ringing so I need to check this a bit more...

Next step is to check it with a 100uF cap.

Sonically its quite nice atm, but I am trying an electrolytic at C8 which is still breaking in, so I will avoid making any direct comments on the sound part...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salassss.jpg (77.3 KB, 936 views)
Old 11th May 2013, 08:55 PM   #7196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Guys can you have a look at that?
It seems to have different mounting holes...
New Genuine Sanyo SF P101 16P Deck Old Version Laser Head Optical Pickup | eBay
I got my two today. They look very nice. They look just like the picture in the ad; motors are marked Sanyo with Sanyo part numbers. The deck height is identical for the two, and dead on what it should be based on the specs. Based on looks alone they appear to be the genuine article.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:18 PM   #7197
diyAudio Member

Easter holidays here so things have been slow at the post office... Hopefully I ll get mine on Monday...

Any first sonic impressions?

Further to my tests with the salas psu, I have added a 47uF cap at the sense lines which eliminated the 5Mhz 200mV ringing and brought it up as straight 200mV random interference. To fight that I replaced the cap at the shiga entrance with a 1000uF and problem solved.

I don t think I can get it any lower than that...

Again, it s late so I cannot comment with certainty on the sonic change, but some low level listening shows significant clarity increase, especially in the mid frequencies separation. For example the reverb on pink floyd guitars is much much more easy to follow. There is the primary tone, and you can clearly hear at least two distinct delayed repeats, while before there was just a vague sense of depth...

Before wrapping everything up I think I will up the CCS current a bit too

Next stops: new mecha (like in previous post), spindle motor smoothing caps, test a very fast and small teflon on the sled motor, new 75R interconnect, lower inductance output resistors on a 75R-75R 14,2dB attenuation T pad, new wooden puck and finally chassis...
sigh... too much things to do...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cccccccc.jpg (65.3 KB, 937 views)
Old 12th May 2013, 12:21 AM   #7198
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Easter holidays here so things have been slow at the post office... Hopefully I ll get mine on Monday...

Any first sonic impressions?
No, I'm afraid not. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my B&K 707 tube tester this weekend. I thought I'd be done by now.

Since no one seems to be chiming in about the Bobken, I think I'm going to go with Per Anders' SSR01 super regulator for my 5V choice. I ordered that Linear Audio volume where they did the super reg measured and listening tests. Interested in seeing what they have to say.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:55 PM   #7199
diyAudio Member

OK guys... if you are still using an rca socket on the shiga side REMOVE IT and solder a proper 75R interconnect directly to the attenuator.

I have replaced my crappy interconnect with some properly terminated Belden 83264 (removed the BNC from one side) and while it still is freshly soldered and pretty much non broken-in, the increase in stage width and depth is amazing...

It still has some rough points like a bit fluffy bass, but I will give it a few days before judging it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqN,!icE-onHq5oeBPwCm9tjm!~~60_3.JPG (75.8 KB, 317 views)
Old 13th May 2013, 07:09 PM   #7200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have replaced my crappy interconnect with some properly terminated Belden 83264 (removed the BNC from one side) and while it still is freshly soldered and pretty much non broken-in, the increase in stage width and depth is amazing...
If you're going to go this route, make sure the cable from the PCB digital out to the back panel is also 75 Ohm. One assumes you switched the output connector on the Shiga to a BNC. It's too late from the sound of it, but if you replaced one end with RCA to get to your DAC, you'd have been better off keeping the BNC and using a good BNC-RCA barrel (like a Bomar or similar).

Hide this!Advertise here!