Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 07:11 PM   #711
Badge is offline Badge  United States
diyAudio Member

model 31 question. Do all the function buttons work after the mods? Program, Repeat, start/stop/pause, etc. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2008, 07:13 PM   #712
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Badge
model 31 question. Do all the function buttons work after the mods? Program, Repeat, start/stop/pause, etc. Thanks.

Yes they do work .
Old 29th April 2008, 09:31 PM   #713
quan is online now quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default shigaclone

My Shigaclone died last night-the pad at digital out lifted after too amny times fiddling and also C906 postision after trying to remove the large Auricap.
WRT extracting direct digital output from the chip-Peter can you help? How to go about it?
Old 29th April 2008, 09:44 PM   #714
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: shigaclone

Quote:
Originally posted by quan
My Shigaclone died last night-the pad at digital out lifted after too amny times fiddling and also C906 postision after trying to remove the large Auricap.
WRT extracting direct digital output from the chip-Peter can you help? How to go about it?

just trace that trace from digi out pad to chip

as stated in pdf ( first several posts of thread ) PD drilled pcb and soldered wire much closer to chip , if not on exact pin ;
Old 30th April 2008, 12:32 AM   #715
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default RCEZ32 Update

A couple of mysteries resolved:

Changing the value or removing C950 seems to change the sound for the worse.. I reinstalled the original 1000uF cap in this location, had not yet replaced C949 (470uF) and sure enough the sound reverted to the more controlled, tight bass, I thought I remembered, and an overall more relaxed sounding (less mechanical) presentation. I did this on both my mechanisms and the result was the same.

Edit:
C915 may not be the tracking cap, but I'm not sure and I'm too tired to figure it out tonight.
Old 30th April 2008, 01:48 AM   #716
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: shigaclone

Quote:
Originally posted by quan
As you can see in a datasheet here: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../LC78601E.html the DOUT on LC78601 is pin 29. Pick the ground somwhere close to the chip.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 30th April 2008, 02:12 AM   #717
diyAudio Member

so, finally got started tonite and things are going well. I accidentally removed C930, so I need to figure out which value this is so I can replace it. Removing the 4 SMD caps was a bit tricky, and at this point they all measure as shorts when I measure across the remaining pads using the continuity check on my meter. I'm assuming this isn't too accurate. Is there a way to verify that these caps were removed successfully? I'm a bit worried about this, as there was a piece of one of the caps left under the heatsink and I removed it with a fine wire cutter... yeah... Also, for the clock it's hard to tell, but it looks that two of the pads are shorted together, but I cannot tell if I did this or not. Is this correct? Finally, what are people doing with the "Cap 6", whose function is unknown... removing, or keeping it?

Such precision work. I cannot image how Peter drilled though the PCB to gain access to that pin!!!!
Old 30th April 2008, 02:50 AM   #718
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by luvdunhill
so, finally got started tonite and things are going well. I accidentally removed C930, so I need to figure out which value this is so I can replace it. Removing the 4 SMD caps was a bit tricky, and at this point they all measure as shorts when I measure across the remaining pads using the continuity check on my meter. I'm assuming this isn't too accurate. Is there a way to verify that these caps were removed successfully? I'm a bit worried about this, as there was a piece of one of the caps left under the heatsink and I removed it with a fine wire cutter... yeah... Also, for the clock it's hard to tell, but it looks that two of the pads are shorted together, but I cannot tell if I did this or not. Is this correct? Finally, what are people doing with the "Cap 6", whose function is unknown... removing, or keeping it?

Such precision work. I cannot image how Peter drilled though the PCB to gain access to that pin!!!!
Get a strong magnifying glass and check all of those locations before you apply power to the board. With a reasonably good meter not set to the diode setting most ports will read a couple of hundred K, anything above a couple of K probably means you are ok.

Refer to the schematics for the RCEZ31 for the value of C930..

I am confused by the frequent complaints about how hard it is to remove smd parts. I do it all the time with a conventional iron, replacing them takes somewhat more skill I will admit. I usually apply enough solder to simultaneously heat both ends of the smd cap or resistor I am trying remove and apply the tip along the top or side of the package, wait a few seconds and push in a direction (usually sideways) where there are no close parts. Follow up with solder wick.. Some skill is required so practice on a junk board first..

Mine is sounding great. I think I am very close to finishing the electrical mods at this point.
Old 30th April 2008, 03:28 AM   #719
diyAudio Member

also, a few more questions.

What does the green square in the second picture refer to? (lower right corner)?

Looks like C930 = 100uF? So, I have a short and a tall 100uF capacitor, both with the same working voltage. This is the cap left of E2 in the first picture. Can anyone confirm?

Also, remeasuring using resistance, I am still getting shorts across the removed SMD capacitors. Nothing obviously wrong looking via a magnifying glass... looks nice and clean. Can anyone verify/explain this? I have not put the new/upgraded components in, so all the parts that are marked for removal / replacement are not installed as I measure.

Oh, also can someone comment on if two of the crystal pads are tied together or not?
Old 30th April 2008, 04:07 AM   #720
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by luvdunhill
also, a few more questions.

What does the green square in the second picture refer to? (lower right corner)?

Looks like C930 = 100uF? So, I have a short and a tall 100uF capacitor, both with the same working voltage. This is the cap left of E2 in the first picture. Can anyone confirm?

Also, remeasuring using resistance, I am still getting shorts across the removed SMD capacitors. Nothing obviously wrong looking via a magnifying glass... looks nice and clean. Can anyone verify/explain this? I have not put the new/upgraded components in, so all the parts that are marked for removal / replacement are not installed as I measure.

Oh, also can someone comment on if two of the crystal pads are tied together or not?
Two words: crappy meter... I have several very expensive lab meters, and none of these measure open, and I surmise your meter can't tell the difference between a short and a high impedance in this mode. All bets are off if your meter turns on the substrate diodes in the chips. (No damage, just a misleading reading, probably just what you are seeing.) Visual inspection is fine, and if you see no shorts then you should be fine. Get a better meter..

Hide this!Advertise here!