Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 694 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 08:02 PM   #6931
diyAudio Member

Default My "stock" Shiga so far

Okay. I decided to post some pictures of what I'm calling my "stock" Shiga. This is the ready-made set of parts I got from Tibi. I completed the layout and the wiring and decided to take a few images before starting on the enclosure.

The enclosure will be made of 1/4" red oak for the sides and the back, and 1/4" poplar for the top with braces on the underside to minimize resonance in a sheet this size. You can see in the last couple of pictures the heat sink I got for the LA6541. It's from Masscool; a bit too big for the chip but it has an adhesive back and it works (convenient). Ignore the temporary terminal strip to bring in the AC power. That will be replaced with an IEC inlet, fuse, and switch when the panels are in place. The digital out will be RG187 going to an Amphenol BNC.

I intend this version to be my stock reference, and the second one to be my custom hot-rodded job. I'm going to live with this a bit as I slowly build up the second version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3101a.jpg (342.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3102a.jpg (250.1 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3104a.jpg (319.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3106a.jpg (312.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 17th March 2013, 08:06 PM   #6932
diyAudio Member

Hmm, what should be gorunded to what? Should the PS board, the digital PCB, and transport frame all be grounded together? Should just the frame and digital PCB (at the mounting hole contact pad) be grounded to the green wire of the 120 VAC input?
Old 17th March 2013, 10:08 PM   #6933
diyAudio Member

Nice and Tidy work.

The way you want to go ahead with a second one is the way to go.

Mind you if you modify succesfull you should actually imply it in your stock transport as well (one mod at a time) in order to always have an optimal sounding reference...anyway that is how I build it brings me much info....just a tip
Old 17th March 2013, 10:26 PM   #6934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Yes ,this is good.You can also use twisted pair wires from UTP or take any solid wire cable and twist it much tighter than stranded cable.
Old 17th March 2013, 10:58 PM   #6935
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaigor View Post
Yes ,this is good.You can also use twisted pair wires from UTP or take any solid wire cable and twist it much tighter than stranded cable.
Thanks. I'll give this stuff a try, as I had to buy a couple of remaining parts anyway from Newark. Let you know how it goes.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:00 PM   #6936
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
Nice and Tidy work.

The way you want to go ahead with a second one is the way to go.

Mind you if you modify succesfull you should actually imply it in your stock transport as well (one mod at a time) in order to always have an optimal sounding reference...anyway that is how I build it brings me much info....just a tip
Thank you Erik. I was going to pull out my old spool of lacing cord to lace up the cables going to the transport, but I just didn't feel like it when the tie wraps were so close. Right now it's playing Tibi's test CD in Repeat mode to give it a good running.

If you can provide any guidance on the grounding scheme I'd appreciate it.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:07 PM   #6937
diyAudio Member

Just a note on the ebay mechas. The board and motor markings are quite different from those on Tibi's kit.
Sonically the ebay ones seem to have more distortion across the freq spectrum... It was just a brief test though. I m currently out of town, but I ll post some more when I get back
Old 17th March 2013, 11:33 PM   #6938
diyAudio Member

dimkasta, is this the supplier from the UK?
Old 18th March 2013, 01:21 AM   #6939
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
If you have a scope, write a disk with my test cd vicol audio : support, play trak 13 in loop and have a look on LA9242M pin 41. Post a picture here.

Regards,
Tibi
Tibi, this was difficult to do, but I think I have a picture of what happens when Track 13 palys. I had to hit the "Auto" button on my Tek 2465A in hopes that it got what you need. I also had to really play with the levels and contrast on the image to get it to show up (it's fine on the 'scope display but I had to use flash to get the image, so it's a bit washed out). I placed the probe on the chip side of C41 and the ground on the digital out "-" terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3114.JPG (378.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 18th March 2013, 01:22 AM   #6940
diyAudio Member

Yes the link I posted a few days ago.
It was a pretty fast test though. Just some tracks. I need to do some more testing. I will post some photos when I get back.
Oh and one mech has its shaft bent. Packaging was rather weird.

Hide this!Advertise here!