Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 693 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 09:52 PM   #6921
diyAudio Member

Is there a way to know for sure if the laser is working? Some voltage that can be checked or something? I'm having trouble with one of them. Keeps reading "00" with each disk. Solder short has been removed.
Old 16th March 2013, 01:39 AM   #6922
diyAudio Member

Tibi, I think this mechanism is toast. The first one of the pair I got in my bundle from you works fine. This one, no matter what I do to adjust the platform height, yields nothing. I can definitely confirm again the solder blob has been correctly removed.

I even tried a third unit I have (a three ball chuck version that I bought before we got everything worked out with the puck) and it too works fine. I'm pretty sure this one is dead. It's unlikely to be an ESD problem as I've treated all three (the two I got from you and the three-ball version) the same way, using an anti-static mat and the same care in handling after the blob was removed.
Old 16th March 2013, 05:19 PM   #6923
diyAudio Member

When laying out the components for permanent arrangement, would it be better to locate the toroidal transformer near the PCB, or near the transport mechanism? The xfrmr would be within 1" of one or the other.
Old 16th March 2013, 06:02 PM   #6924
diyAudio Member

Hiostorically, the reasons for a 00 in the display have been a problem with the clock or the solder tabs - and after that the actual mech itself. I had one like that too and chalked it up to learning! At least you've proven its not anything else which in fairness would be harder to fix.

Can't tell you about the Tx location - I just don't know.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:23 PM   #6925
diyAudio Member

What sort of field is given off by a toroid, I wonder? I was thinking that maybe I don't want whatever field emissions it gives off being too close to the digital PCB. OTOH, do I wan't it to be otherwise near the transport, potentially affecting its reading/error quality?
Old 16th March 2013, 09:54 PM   #6926
diyAudio Member

Default Too much pressure on the digital cable?

I decided to put the toroid up by the transport mechanism. I might build a copper shield around it, but for the moment I think this is a better place than right by the PCB.

The next question is whether there is going to be too much pressure on the digital cable when it is at the end of a CD. I have two pics attached - you can see that when the read head is at the end of a CD the cable bottoms out on the hardwood base. Will this put too much counter pressure on the head, leading to a higher incidence of read errors as it progress across to the end of a CD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3098a.jpg (197.3 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3097a.jpg (204.6 KB, 258 views)
Old 17th March 2013, 02:57 AM   #6927
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
I seem to remember (but can't find) a discussion about twisting the wires going from the PCB to the mechanism. Did we decide if individually twisting each of the three pairs of wires made any difference to the sound?
In my experience the sled motor circuit does not like added inductance.When I have used ribbon cable everything was fine.When I made longer cable ,until I twisted the poles together I got strange jittery sound coming from loudspeakers.If you use any ribbon cable where individual poles are not separated it will be OK since by given construction the inductance is low.I am using around 0.5m of magnet wire so by twisting them together I get pretty capacitive cable so the length isn't problem regarding inductance and everything sound like there is no three times longer motor cable than usual.I never twisted the short run of cable ,just used short ribbon two poles.
As Dimkasta stated additional capacitive filtering might be useful but test have to be done.I hope this help.
Old 17th March 2013, 08:54 AM   #6928
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

I have exhausted all possible combos of 2 mounted/tested kits and 4 transports. I couldn't get any one of them to get pass 00 ..... Tested with pressed CD's only, so not CDR issue for sure. Adjust the cd table higher and lower also had no luck. Any suggestion what to look for next?

Thanks,
Old 17th March 2013, 12:08 PM   #6929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaigor View Post
In my experience the sled motor circuit does not like added inductance.When I have used ribbon cable everything was fine.When I made longer cable ,until I twisted the poles together I got strange jittery sound coming from loudspeakers.If you use any ribbon cable where individual poles are not separated it will be OK since by given construction the inductance is low.
Something like this?

135-2406-306 - AMPHENOL SPECTRA-STRIP - RIBBON CABLE, 6COND, 24AWG, 300V | Newark
Old 17th March 2013, 06:55 PM   #6930
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchw View Post
I have exhausted all possible combos of 2 mounted/tested kits and 4 transports. I couldn't get any one of them to get pass 00 ..... Tested with pressed CD's only, so not CDR issue for sure. Adjust the cd table higher and lower also had no luck. Any suggestion what to look for next?

Thanks,
A slight good news, I dug out a 3 point transport that I ordered some time ao. It worked and finished reading the TOC almost instantly. So, I can focus on the transports now ...

Hide this!Advertise here!