Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 692 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 11:12 PM   #6911
diyAudio Member

I seem to remember (but can't find) a discussion about twisting the wires going from the PCB to the mechanism. Did we decide if individually twisting each of the three pairs of wires made any difference to the sound?
Old 13th March 2013, 11:33 PM   #6912
diyAudio Member

I was the one that posted the article. I have not tested it, but it's good practice with motors. Like the caps
Old 14th March 2013, 07:57 AM   #6913
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Erik, how does the top to bottom extension, control, and recreation of space compare to the Vishays?
It sounds cliche...but you do not even pay attention to that..

The way it went..I will tell you...

We listened to a track of Vivaldi HQ cd ánd Lauri Anderson Bright Red with the Allen Bradleys in.
We went back to the beginning of the track for a minute...trying to memorize what we heard...

The Invisistors went in (took a minute)...track was put back on and both immediately said ....yeah this is better full stop.

So lets say you put the Vishays Naked Foils in and you are convinced you have the best
(top end-depth-pinpoint-realism... you name it).........................you don't

We had a piece of paper on our lap to make remarks for each resistor but it is so present with the invisistors that you do not have to take notes.
Old 14th March 2013, 03:10 PM   #6914
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
The Invisistors went in (took a minute)...track was put back on and both immediately said ....yeah this is better full stop.

So lets say you put the Vishays Naked Foils in and you are convinced you have the best
(top end-depth-pinpoint-realism... you name it).........................you don't

We had a piece of paper on our lap to make remarks for each resistor but it is so present with the invisistors that you do not have to take notes.
Sigh. I was afraid of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
Regarding the Pi-pads, I did a quick test, and I am quite confident that my suggested Pi-pad values (i.e. 125-139-125) perform better than 100-300-100. I am yet to try the solution suggested on the Polish forums.
So, uncle_leon, if there are more of us crazy enough to want to buy those Invisistors, have you setlled on the optimal configuration and values?
Old 14th March 2013, 09:17 PM   #6915
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosures again

So is there enclosure out there which is remotely close to working with the Tibi design? It would be nice to be able to get it shipped to the U.S. I saw this one

L 2207 Full Aluminum Amplifier Enclosure Preamp DAC Case DIY | eBay

It's about the right size, but would require some machining (which I'm not very good at).
Old 14th March 2013, 10:07 PM   #6916
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I had that enclosure and it resonates like crazy. If you even remotely consider "creating a killer high end transport" don't even think about using that "can"

OTOH, I've seen a very smart enclosure created without any special machining skills:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/phy/cdp.jpg
6moons industryfeatures: Bernard Salabert of PHY-HP
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th March 2013, 11:06 PM   #6917
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I might be able to do something with wood. Even though it was for test purposes only, my first Shiga is already mounted to 3/4" hardboard - which is fairly dense. I was thinking of getting some 1/4" kiln-dried red oak to build sides and a top. If I get enough wood I might eventually be able to fashion the opening for the laser head.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:08 AM   #6918
diyAudio Member

I received the ebay mechas today and just hooked one up.
Nice one. No more wobbling and reads all my CDs. It s just that some copies are skipping for a split sec some times. And the sled motor makes a really weird and loudish noise... Quite different from the sound that the one Tibi sent me. Kind of liek whistling when micro-correcting and loudish kinda like vibrating when switching tracks.
I m quite tired now to check it or try a second one...
Tomorrow I ll try to find some time to do some proper listening and perhaps add the caps and the twisted pairs on the motor cabling...

Damn... there are too few hours in a day...
Old 15th March 2013, 01:20 AM   #6919
diyAudio Member

dimkasta, check the platform height per my post a bit further up.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:40 AM   #6920
diyAudio Member

What does that tiny little screw on the small circuit board adjacent to the laser lens do?

Hide this!Advertise here!