Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 687 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 12:40 PM   #6861
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
tonyptony,

Im going to send you parts for one remote and include R52 as well.

Regards,
Tibi
Thanks Tibi! Hopefully I won't fry that tiny little resistor! I'll have to practice some more on some scrap PCBs I have.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:16 PM   #6862
diyAudio Member

Is there any advice for how to reliably get those tiny little plug pins on the end of the multiwire cables that go into the inter-board connectors?
Old 7th March 2013, 07:59 PM   #6863
diyAudio Member

There is no hope!
Old 7th March 2013, 11:36 PM   #6864
diyAudio Member

Hi all.
A replacement for the 78XX and lm317.
the LM2575HVT-adj.

regards
zjaakco

Last edited by zjaakco; 7th March 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 01:38 AM   #6865
diyAudio Member

Here's a picture of the pin connector Tibi supplied with the kit. Is it best to use stranded or solid wire for this? Does the wire get inserted past the large tabs only, or the large tabs and the smaller ones in the middle, before crimping? What's a good tool to use for a reliable crimp? (assume I don't have the actual tool made for this sort of thing - the actual crimp tool costs over 270 Pounds!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3617210-40[1].jpg (4.8 KB, 333 views)
Old 8th March 2013, 05:34 PM   #6866
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring of 6 pin abd 3 pin cables

When wiring these up, do I keep the connectors in the same orientation when wiring across from the pin of one connector to the other, or is one connector flipped over? I hope I'm being clear. If I expect to run the wires all in parallel from one connector to the other, do I orient the connectors back to back with the same side (of each) facing up, or one of them flipped?

Never mind. I see woodturner_fran answered this a little while ago. The connectors orient back to back with the same side facing up.

Last edited by tonyptony; 8th March 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 08:04 PM   #6867
diyAudio Member

Default No voltages at V1-V4?

Can I check anything on the PCB with just the +8V connector inserted, before I plug in any other cables?

D@mn it! D@mn it! D@amn it! Since I was looking at the upper side of the board I mistook the location of the "+8V" on the PCB as denoting the location of the actual positive side of the voltage rail. I didn't even see the "J6" label on the PCB. I realized that is the alternate method of also identifying Pin 1, but only when it was too late. So for a short time (~10 seconds?) I had the voltage feeding the PCB reversed!

Once I powered down and reversed things the board and display seem to have come on okay. I measure +4.94 VDC at all four testpoints. But I have the bad feeling I probably damaged something. I caught the slightest hint of burning something just before I pulled the power. If anyone can tell me what would happen when this PCB is fed with reversed voltage I'd like to know - but I suspect I won't be happy the hear it.

Last edited by tonyptony; 8th March 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:40 PM   #6868
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I finished making all the cables and started checking things one by one after plugging in each cable. The PCB test points seem okay. I powered down and then plugged in the three pin cable for the front panel. The display seems to do what it's supposed to do. Then powered down again and plugged in the 6 pin motor drive cable. As soon as I powered back up the mechanics of the sled started slamming against the stop closest to the hub. I pulled the power immediately.

The sled has had its shorting blob removed and the laser cover is off.

I made that cable by laying out the six wires in parallel, between the connectors which were back to back, both showing their guide bars pointing up.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:47 AM   #6869
diyAudio Member

I'm attaching a photo of the setup. Right now I have it built on a slab of hardboard so I can get it up and running quickly for testing and evaluation.

If you expand the image to full size you can see that on both ends of the 6 pin cable, at the connectors, I circled the same wire at each end so you can see the orientation. It's a black circle in each case so it may be a little hard to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3087.jpg (360.7 KB, 289 views)
Old 9th March 2013, 12:45 PM   #6870
diyAudio Member

I tried both of the mechanisms I got from Tibi and they are both slamming at the stops.

Anybody?

Hide this!Advertise here!