Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 665 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 05:17 PM   #6641
endia is offline endia  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Hi Sean, hi Tibi, thanks..
i checked cable pins and they seem ok. i will try another cable but i have no chance within this week..
Tibi, the flat cable is twisted to access motor board but has not any bending, nevertheless i will relocate processor board closer to the motor mech.. so, i will report again after those changings..
thanks a lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03_19-06-55_358s.jpg (447.2 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-03_15-06-40_302s.jpg (568.5 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by endia; 3rd February 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: attachments
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:37 PM   #6642
diyAudio Member

Tibi,
it's not clear on the previous picture, this is how i connected the 16 pin flat cable, is it wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040266s.jpg (222.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg P1040268s.jpg (252.7 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by endia; 3rd February 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:15 PM   #6643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I recommend a 75-Ohm Pi-pad, which requires one 125R resistor and two 140R resistors.
Hi uncle_leon,
where do you suggest implementing pi-pad, directly on the output jack or on the output pads of the board? i'm planning to put dac board in the same chassis with transport, so i'll not use any jack, should i still need pi-pad resistors and does it make sense if i implement them on the output of transport or input of the dac board?
thanks..
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:51 PM   #6644
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endia View Post
Hi Sean, hi Tibi, thanks..
i checked cable pins and they seem ok. i will try another cable but i have no chance within this week..
Tibi, the flat cable is twisted to access motor board but has not any bending, nevertheless i will relocate processor board closer to the motor mech.. so, i will report again after those changings..
thanks a lot
endia, what's the blue device and the board next to it?
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:02 PM   #6645
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
Hi Tony, I recommend a 75-Ohm Pi-pad, which requires one 125R resistor and two 140R resistors. All of these are available from me, in both the cheaper and the "extreme" variety.
I thought from the mention of this earlier that the desired solution was to have Dout see a bit of a higher load impedance. Also, with those values isn't the signal attenuation fairly high?

A Pi-pad on the order of 1300-8.66-1300 would meet the requirements for current drive capability of Dout and have minimal attenuation of the signal.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:05 PM   #6646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
endia, what's the blue device and the board next to it?
it's a pcb type transformer and connected to Peter Daniel's nos dac..
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:14 PM   #6647
diyAudio Member

Default CD Sled Cable position

endia,

The CD Sled Cable appears to be fine. While it is better to have the cable not twisted, that is not the cause of the CD Sled not stopping its travel.

For whatever reason the processor is not seeing the "home" switch close, pins 5 and 6, which stops the motor and starts the CD read sequence. You need to move the CD Sled to close the switch and confirm it is closed with a meter and then trace the signal to the processor board at least to the "Motor" connector soldered connector pins.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:34 PM   #6648
diyAudio Member

Sean,
for me it's impossible to measure anything within 2-3 seconds..
as seen on the video, 2-3 seconds later power on, it's arriving to cd turntable and starting to noise. i'm disconnecting the power in hurry to prevent something to get damaged.. firstly i will try another "motor" cable and move to processor board closer to the motor mechanism.. i hope it's because of the cable..
thanks a lot..
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:58 PM   #6649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
I thought from the mention of this earlier that the desired solution was to have Dout see a bit of a higher load impedance. Also, with those values isn't the signal attenuation fairly high?

A Pi-pad on the order of 1300-8.66-1300 would meet the requirements for current drive capability of Dout and have minimal attenuation of the signal.
Actually, shunt values of 1130 and a series of 10 Ohms will produce an exact 75 Ohm impedance with a very low attenuation and excellent return loss (~119 dB). It also exceeds the minimum load of 390 Ohms as indicated by GSI (post #6232). An exact impedance match and very low return loss should make for a excellent digital signal transfer.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:49 AM   #6650
diyAudio Member

endia,

You do not need to have the CD Transport powered up to check for the switch being closed.

You can manually move the CD Sled by turning the gear drive to the point that the tab contacts the switch and closes it. Assuming the switch closes, you can test for continuity through the cable and all the way to the processor board.

Hide this!Advertise here!