Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 664 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2013, 02:48 PM   #6631
diyAudio Member

I seem to remember (and a quick but admittedly incomplete search indicates) a difference of opinion between a soft/sprung interface to the transport frame and a rigid mount, even if only through one bolt. I think Peter Daniel eventually settled on something of a sprung mount, but there are so many broken image links back in the early part of the thread that I can't say for certain that's true. I do seem to recall him indicating that a rigid mount across the entire frame resulted in a very uninteresting sound.
Old 1st February 2013, 03:20 PM   #6632
diyAudio Member

Since I have several Transports, I think I will try damping material, such as Dynamat, on one of the stamped sheet metal frames to do some back to back comparisons. That testing needs to include rigid mounting at 2 points and compliant mounting using E-A-R isolation mounts on the metal frame at 2 points.

One could go nuts on what base material is best to use to mount the standoffs on, but mass that does not ring would seem best.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:17 PM   #6633
diyAudio Member

Hi uncle Leon,

I read the last 100 pages or so and became interested in your 300 and 100 finest handmade resistors and your 0.01 cap.(c906)

I have a good gutfeeling about them and would love to experiment ( I have also the nudes Vishay).

Can I buy them from your site or....please advise...pm is also okay but I post this here out of sheer respect that you pick those things up.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:01 PM   #6634
diyAudio Member

I was wondering about the resistors as well, but wasn't there a feeling that a pi resistor set up, with the output of the chip seeing a higher impedance, as being a better solution?
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:41 AM   #6635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Oh, and BTW, I got as a second kit from Tibi one with just the SMDs installed. That leaves me open to consider your custom devices for a supercharged model. Please PM me with info on your latest recommended devices.
Hi Tony, I put all of my latest recommendations in my Compiled Shigaclone Guide. Of course, not everything is covered (yet!), so please feel free to ask about any particular positions.

As for my advice on supercharging the Shiga - apart from installing the best caps / resistors you can afford, separate power supplies and good mounting, I found great improvements from these unorthodox mods:
- wood modding electrolytic caps (all the PSU caps, C916 / C43 etc.). How much more natural they sound after the mod is hard to describe.
- the "spider mod". Ok, it is crazy, but it is cheap and honestly one of the best mods I have done to my Shiga. The start of the story is here: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
- getting rid of all the ceramic bypasses (see this section of my guide). This may be controversial with some of the more engineer-minded folks, as it is considered "good practise" to put bypasses across all electrolytic caps. However, listening tests were ruthless, the sound is much better without them, sweeter and much less "digital".

Naturally, I am happy to help you with implementing any of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Voorst View Post
Hi uncle Leon,

I read the last 100 pages or so and became interested in your 300 and 100 finest handmade resistors and your 0.01 cap.(c906)

I have a good gutfeeling about them and would love to experiment ( I have also the nudes Vishay).

Can I buy them from your site or....please advise...pm is also okay but I post this here out of sheer respect that you pick those things up.
Thank you Erik I can send you my hand-made 300/100 resistor pair for testing, so you can compare them with your resistors on equal terms - please pm me your address. As an ultimate solution however, I definitely recommend a 75-Ohm Pi-pad configuration instead.
Regarding my capacitors, I am happy to send you a sample as well - just keep in mind these caps are physically very big (10cm long, excluding leads), so please check first if you have enough space for them.

Last edited by uncle_leon; 3rd February 2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:35 AM   #6636
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I can send you my hand-made 300/100 resistor pair for testing, so you can compare them with your resistors on equal terms - please pm me your address. As an ultimate solution however, I definitely recommend a 75-Ohm Pi-pad configuration instead.
Thanks uncle for all the information, but as far as this goes, are you offering a Pi-pad solution or do we follow the recommendation from where that was discussed in this thread a while back?
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:46 PM   #6637
endia is offline endia  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Hi,
i have a strange problem with motor.. when its powered on its trying to go on the rail and and doesn't stop..

i take this video to a better explanation..
2013 02 03 14 58 34 732 - YouTube

what can be the problem? what should i do?
thanks..
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:07 PM   #6638
diyAudio Member

Default CD Sled Limit Switch

endia...On power up, the CD Sled should move to toward the CD Turntable, where a tap on the bottom of the CD Sled contacts and closes a limit switch to "home" the CD Sled and then start reading the disc.

Check that the contacts are actually closing with a meter at the Transport Motor connector pins and likewise at the "Motor" connection pins on the processor board. IF you have a closed contact signal to that point, then the problem is in the processor board, but I am betting it is the cable or poor pin contact at one end or the other of the cable connectors.
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:52 PM   #6639
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Thanks uncle for all the information, but as far as this goes, are you offering a Pi-pad solution or do we follow the recommendation from where that was discussed in this thread a while back?
Hi Tony, I recommend a 75-Ohm Pi-pad, which requires one 125R resistor and two 140R resistors. All of these are available from me, in both the cheaper and the "extreme" variety.

Another option is to have a manufacturer make a batch of resistors to order, although this typically requires a group buy for prices to become feasible. The diy-ers from the Polish forum audiostereo.pl are pursuing this approach, following my suggestion. I am convinced that in all but the most extreme cases a Pi-pad made with inferior resistors will outperform an L-pad made with good audio-grade resistors.
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:34 PM   #6640
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by endia View Post
Hi,
i have a strange problem with motor.. when its powered on its trying to go on the rail and and doesn't stop..

i take this video to a better explanation..
2013 02 03 14 58 34 732 - YouTube

what can be the problem? what should i do?
thanks..
Endia,

You have twisted the 16 pin flat cable. Mount the cable in such way is not tension
and leave the mechanics to operate free.

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!