Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 663 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 06:15 AM   #6621
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Hi Tibi,
Seems to have problem trying to download the full image on the SHIGA case drawing and Corel Draw file, I am using IE8 and the screen just go blank. Can you provide a zip version?

Thanks
Compresed files.

http://vicol-audio.ro/img/shiga/case.7z

Regards,
Tibi

PS. An IT advice. Use Firefox or Chrome, are faster and safer.

Last edited by tvicol; 29th January 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:07 AM   #6622
syklab is online now syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
Compresed files.

http://vicol-audio.ro/img/shiga/case.7z

Regards,
Tibi

PS. An IT advice. Use Firefox or Chrome, are faster and safer.
Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 06:27 PM   #6623
diyAudio Member

I've been reading through the last several pages as I've been getting ready to put my own unit together (BTW, got the package last week, Tibi - so far things look fine but I wanted to bring home some ESD bags from work before I start handling the boards). The problems discussed about mounting the transport mechanism got me thinking...

If it looks like using one bolt is not ideal, and using multiple bolts raises the concern of torsion or stress on the drive, would it be possible to create a semi-rigid or decoupled mount for the drive? Maybe a multi-point mount (multiple bolts) but the drive either spring loaded or bushing mounted on those bolts?
Old 31st January 2013, 03:07 PM   #6624
diyAudio Member

Tony, the mounting as such is not a problem at all. You can mount it any way you like, or just leave it lying on the floor, and it will work fine. The problem is in that the mounting has a strong, and not yet fully understood influence on the sound.

Mounting with one bolt would probably cause the mech to bend under its own weight, so is certainly not recommended. So far, the optimal (sonic-wise) solution is to attach the mech rigidly, with two bolts, to a rigid, heavy structure, that conducts vibration well, but does not ring very much - preferably a slab of copper or bronze. Mounting the mech non-rigidly results in muddiness and loss of detail. Using more than two bolts also results in degraded performance.

So far the best mounting, in my opinion, has been proposed by Tony X: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - the idea of using spacers is certainly a very good one.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:22 PM   #6625
syklab is online now syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi uncle_leon,

I have try mounting with 4, 3 and 2 bolt2 and confirmed that 2 bolts is the best may be because it is easier to balance the laser with 2 bolts and putting less stress on the metal frame. I will need to find a copper slab to replace the current 3mm aluminium plate and mount it with M8 bolts.

The Sanyo laser is very selective on cd-rom, try burning cd's using various software and blank cd-rom but haven't had a consistent result yet. Only 1 out of 4 can be played with Sanyo but no problem with my oppo at all.
Old 31st January 2013, 05:32 PM   #6626
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Hi uncle_leon,

The Sanyo laser is very selective on cd-rom, try burning cd's using various software and blank cd-rom but haven't had a consistent result yet. Only 1 out of 4 can be played with Sanyo but no problem with my oppo at all.
To write CD's I'm using a PlexWritter Premium unit.
Best medium for blank cd-rom is Taiyo-Yuden. Sony and TDK are also OK.

Under Windows use EAC for CD ripping.
Under Linux use cdparanoya or Asunder and write with cdrecord by Jrg Schilling

Regards,
Tibi
Old 31st January 2013, 05:47 PM   #6627
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
So far the best mounting, in my opinion, has been proposed by Tony X: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - the idea of using spacers is certainly a very good one.
Thanks uncle_leon. I was looking at that but wondered about the precision needed for the spacer rods. I don't have access to any kind of precision machining tools. I wonder if we could find a place online that sells precision cut hardened hollow metal rods that could be slipped over the moutning bolts?

Oh, and BTW, I got as a second kit from Tibi one with just the SMDs installed. That leaves me open to consider your custom devices for a supercharged model. Please PM me with info on your latest recommended devices.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:46 AM   #6628
diyAudio Member

How about this for the transport?

McMaster-Carr (look at the Male-Female Threaded Hex Standoffs)

Length accuracy seems to be pretty good (0.005").
Old 1st February 2013, 01:07 PM   #6629
diyAudio Member

Default Transport Mounting

Regarding the standoff length repeatability, the Transport sheet metal stamping is anything BUT flat, with easily +/- .010" to .015" of run out using a dial indicator to check flatness. That said, use standoffs that are of uniform length and you have done pretty much all you can do.

Uncle_leon is correct...whatever you can do to reduce ringing and vibration in the stamping from the motors, etc, is likely to improve the sound and resolution of the transport, such as rigid mounting it via the 2 recommended standoffs to sink vibration to a base material that damps and kills vibration that he mentioned.

Has anyone mounted the Transport with the standoff using a damping washer arrangement to kill vibration at the sheet metal stamping?

Or applying damping material directly to the sheet metal stamping to kill vibration at the source?

I suppose another option is maybe mounting it on springs, but that does not deal with killing the vibration in the sheet metal stamping, or conducting it away via rigid mounting of the standoffs to the sheet metal stamping.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:18 PM   #6630
diyAudio Member

McMastr Carr sells sorbethane gaskets that could be used as spacers on the standoff. It would allow for firm but even pressure.

Hide this!Advertise here!