Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 660 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 07:53 PM   #6591
diyAudio Member

Default Shiga Mounted and Tested Arrived!

Tibi,

The Shiga arrived! Other than to unwrap everything, I have not wired it up and I hope to do that soon.

On inspecting the Sanyo Transport, I noticed that the CD Turntable had been moved down on the motor shaft to the point it that a mounted CD will not clear the Laser Sled. The motor shaft was not bent.

Since this was reported by at least one other person, I decided to take some measurement off 2 spare Sanyo Transports for reference. Measured with a dial caliber from the top edge of the CD Turntable where the CD will rest on, to the top of the stamped metal "chassis", both of my samples measure 19.58 mm.

What I found in adjusting the CD Turntable that came with the kit is that the CD Turntable is not very tight on the motor shaft at all, or for that matter the 2 spare units. All of them are tight enough not to spin on the shaft on motor start up.

I am going to set the CD Turntable to the measured height 19.58 mm and actually test it to ensure it reads a good sampling of CD's and fine tune the height so that the laser head is close to its static position as possible when reading a perfectly flat CD. That will allow it the maximum amount of +/- laser servo travel for reading disc that are not perfectly flat. After that I will create an epoxy step on the shaft so that the CD Turntable remains at the optimal height to the shaft. You could superglue it in place as well.

Anyway, I hope this helps other folks who run into this problem.
Old 26th January 2013, 07:55 PM   #6592
diyAudio Member

By the way...this could be why some folks experienced read error with some disc.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:12 PM   #6593
diyAudio Member

Here is a photo of how the cables were soldered.

Can you please check that I have not connected them wrong?

Thanks again

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIM_1360.jpg (308.7 KB, 734 views)
Old 26th January 2013, 10:35 PM   #6594
diyAudio Member

Yep it was the cable after all.
It seems to operate ok now.

However, the turntable/puck/cd seems to wobble. The shaft/cd stays pretty much level and spins on its own with no significant vibration/noise, so I don t think it is a bent shaft.

The problem could be with the puck. The spindle is smaller than the hole and it plays in it (measuring it 5,83mm instead of 6mm).
It also appears to be off center by 0,1mm

you guys think this deviation is acceptable?

Some CDs seem to play ok but most do not get read only after many trials and play with sound scratches.

Please advise I m very frustrated
Old 26th January 2013, 10:38 PM   #6595
diyAudio Member

Oh and some times the laser eye seems to click. I noticed that is hits the surface of the disc. I guess this is not normal right?
Old 26th January 2013, 10:59 PM   #6596
diyAudio Member

dimkasta...read my previous post and do some measurements.

I am betting the CD Turntable is set to low, which WILL allow the laser to hit the disc and create read errors.

Also, with the CD Turntable too low, the Puck will rest on the motor shaft an will indeed wobble.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:22 PM   #6597
diyAudio Member

Yeah that is what I was trying to do right now.

The distance from the top of the spindle (where the cd sits) to the top of the top metal part of the chassis is 19,53mm in mine

Edited last post. took a better measurement now

Last edited by dimkasta; 26th January 2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:38 PM   #6598
diyAudio Member

Edited last post. took a better measurement using the lower part of the caliper
Old 26th January 2013, 11:41 PM   #6599
diyAudio Member

Regretfully, it is very easy to move the CD Turntable on the shaft...at least on my sample. Just be careful to pull straight up on it.

IF yours is tight, all the better, but then the better option then is to rig up something to support the bottom of the CD Turntable and then lightly tap the motor shaft with a drift pin until you get the CD Turntable to the correct height.

I would suggest the fine tuning I noted before epoxying or superglue application to the CD Turntable/Spindle. The superglue should wick in and set up fine.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:54 PM   #6600
diyAudio Member

Don t know if you checked my last post.
By the way, the shaft is below the plastic level, so it is not interfering with the puck

Hide this!Advertise here!