Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Dan_ed said:
You guys are really ******* me off! :bawling:
I guess we Yanks (well, most of us anyway) will have to look elsewhere for a good, cheap, tweakable transport. ;)

Come again...

:confused:

I Think Peter made a terrific statement that it is possible with this device........it is (as always) up to you how much further or how expensive you want to go....;)

Hi Erik,

I think I didn't make myself clear. I'm having a very hard time reading about how you guys can find the JVC players to get the transports and controllers to build the Shigaclone. They are impossible to find here in the US.

So it is like torture reading about how much fun and success you guys are having! I'm glad for you all, but sad for me. :(

Dan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erik van Voorst said:

Come again...

:confused:

I Think Peter made a terrific statement that it is possible with this device........it is (as always) up to you how much further or how expensive you want to go....;)

RCEZ31 is almost unobtainable here in the USA.. That is what Dan_ed is complaining about.

The '31 was discontinued more than a year ago and for whatever reason JVC has a plethora of newer models available here which are not useful for this mod because of chipset changes. I think JVC "dumped" the older models in other markets, unfortunately the increased functionality came at the expense of possible performance upgrades. (And our Shigaclone project) Chips with the mp3 decoder are not suitable.

I had a hard time getting RCEZ32 for my mods, and most others here got their '31s from Canadian forum members who helped us south of the border types...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dan_ed said:
Hi Erik,

I think I didn't make myself clear. I'm having a very hard time reading about how you guys can find the JVC players to get the transports and controllers to build the Shigaclone. They are impossible to find here in the US.

So it is like torture reading about how much fun and success you guys are having! I'm glad for you all, but sad for me. :(

Dan

Hi Dan,
If you ask nicely I bet there are a couple of Canadian forum members who might come to your rescue and help you get your own RCEZ31 or ship the mechanism to you. A number of people offered to help me out by email as well, but I was able to score the slightly different RCEZ32 on eBay which worked out very well after a lot of additional work - all details posted here in this thread. The effort of acquisition of either version is worthwhile in view of the end result, and not too expensive.

Keep an eye on eBay and Amazon for these models - they show up from time to time, but very sporadically.

dantwomey,

Please, please, please think of me when you get things sorted out! I will make it worth your trouble. I double checked my profile to make sure my email is up to date, so just send me a note when you can get your hands on one or two of these.

kevinr,

I've followed your adventures with the '32. It seems to me that there could be some advantages to the '32, even though it may be more work.

Either way, this would be exactly what I need to compliment a DAC project I have in mind. I'll keep scoping ebay as well.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dan_ed said:
dantwomey,

Please, please, please think of me when you get things sorted out! I will make it worth your trouble. I double checked my profile to make sure my email is up to date, so just send me a note when you can get your hands on one or two of these.

kevinr,

I've followed your adventures with the '32. It seems to me that there could be some advantages to the '32, even though it may be more work.

Either way, this would be exactly what I need to compliment a DAC project I have in mind. I'll keep scoping ebay as well.

I shipped two transports overseas and they're late and haven't arrived yet. This 'issue' is discouraging me from doing anymore volunteering. If and when that 'issue' is resolved I'll look at buying and shipping more.

Regards,
Dan

Hy ShigaCloners!

I just want to show my "new" CD-Player based on a transport you all know well;)
The NOS-DAC is in the same housing.
No switches and knobs - everything is remote controlled which is fine for me.
The transport is mounted on a aluminum plate.
This plate covers a sand-filled ( 2 KG ) wooden frame...

I was searching more than one year for a good sounding "cheap" transport / DAC - Combo.
I don´t search anymore:D

Keep on with this very nice and inspiring thread!!!

Markus

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As I say, the only way to find out is to jump in with both feet. I am in the same boat. I little about digital domain stuff, but I have a buffalo DAC kit on order and a JVC -31 in parts on my bench. I will be ordering the BG caps and associated parts soon. B-day money is coming in and going right back out.:)

Should be interesting if nothing else. The other joy is watching the reaction of my sister in laws husband who has spent about $45,000 on his system when he hears mine. I think he has spent more on cables than I have on everything, and he prefers the sound of my system. Of course there is no marketing material or white papers about my stuff, so it can't be good.:whazzat:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
DaveM said:
As I say, the only way to find out is to jump in with both feet. I am in the same boat. I little about digital domain stuff, but I have a buffalo DAC kit on order and a JVC -31 in parts on my bench. I will be ordering the BG caps and associated parts soon. B-day money is coming in and going right back out.:)

Should be interesting if nothing else. The other joy is watching the reaction of my sister in laws husband who has spent about $45,000 on his system when he hears mine. I think he has spent more on cables than I have on everything, and he prefers the sound of my system. Of course there is no marketing material or white papers about my stuff, so it can't be good.:whazzat:

At least he is honest, perhaps one day he will be smart enough to ask you for help in designing a system that serves music.. :D

Most people who see my system are just puzzled, there is almost nothing the average person would recognize. The complexity and largeness of it all, and the many tubes and sources confuse. (A very crowded rack full on homebrew electronics. 7' tall x 3' long) I've had a few non technical audiophile types over who for whatever reason had difficulty accepting that a hobbyist could design and build almost everything from scratch and achieve a good result. One fellow left in denial, only to call me a few days later to inform me that I had totally ruined his enjoyment of his existing audio system and that he would probably have to start over.. :D I don't know if he ever did..

Actually that was the reaction I was expecting from this guy. He looked down his nose at my NAD silver line integrated and cd player. In the end I have found that he has better ears than I do and moved the speakers around a bit in the room and moved the chair and then sat there with his jaw open. "How is it that you have more high end details and a better image than I do?" Answer.... Nelson Pass, Best parts available, Blood sweat and tears, trial and error.

As I thought about this a bit, I believe that he spent as much on cables as I did on everything running in my system presently. hehehehe...:bigeyes: