Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2012, 07:13 AM   #6381
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
Goods arrived yesterday. Much thanks Tibi !
A question : some cd's play not very well ( scratch... not fluid ... ) : must the focus be adjusted? I have tried other lasers and they are all different : some of them don't even read the cd's. So what could be the problem?
But the sound is very good after a little burn-in.
You are welcome !
If the CD is scratched than is normal to hear some noise.
LC78601 error correction is very basic and will perform CRC at some degree. In fact this is a main point why this transport is sounding so good.
Other DSP chips are performing very strong error correction but adding also significant jitter. For example, LC78622 have better error correction, but the magic is lost.
Normally you should not adjust anything, as the optics are already factory adjusted. Just use good CDs.

Regards,
Tib

Last edited by tvicol; 25th October 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 25th October 2012, 07:32 AM   #6382
sigurd is offline sigurd  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Ok, I understand, but what's the reason that some lasers read very well and other lasers read bad on the same shiga print ? I have now 4 lasers and only 1 (or 2 of them ) read the cd's well. ???
Old 25th October 2012, 07:47 AM   #6383
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
Ok, I understand, but what's the reason that some lasers read very well and other lasers read bad on the same shiga print ? I have now 4 lasers and only 1 (or 2 of them ) read the cd's well. ???
I really hope the one that is reading well is from me.
There are several manufacturers who made this transport. Some of them are using original laser and pin diodes from Sanyo, others not.
Have a look in datasheet page 12.
http://vicol-audio.ro/docs/DA11VZ.pdf

During operation you can measure the voltage on J1 connector between 11 and 12 and adjust other mechanics the same.
Please let me know the results.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 25th October 2012, 09:25 AM   #6384
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

You need to measure on working CD mechanic and adjust on the other ones which are not working.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 25th October 2012, 12:24 PM   #6385
diyAudio Member

tvicol, Thanks for sendding me the transistor so promptly. I finally got the shiga working it is very picky with CD and only playing some after warming up but other than that it sounds pretty good. Thanks again will post my further adventures in the future.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:49 PM   #6386
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworm View Post
tvicol, Thanks for sendding me the transistor so promptly. I finally got the shiga working it is very picky with CD and only playing some after warming up but other than that it sounds pretty good. Thanks again will post my further adventures in the future.
You are welcome !

With which CDs is picky ?
Are these original ones or CD copy ?

Regards,
Tibi
Old 25th October 2012, 12:56 PM   #6387
diyAudio Member

It really does'nt like Nora jones sunrise(original). I would consider it very un-scientific to use burn'ed CD's for testing purposes. althou saying that I'm not sure to what point CD pressing plants respect red book standards... It will play fine after the shiga has been on for a while. I guess the next step will be to case her up and see if this issue resolves itself with burn in.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:10 PM   #6388
SteB is offline SteB  England
diyAudio Member

Note that i dont own this Sanyo transport.
I've had to adjust the laser power on an old xbox which got iffy when reading cheap writeable audio discs, it worked for the xbox, lost the guide about 4 hard drive crashes ago, but theres vids on you tube - search "benq laser pot tweaking"
Old 25th October 2012, 01:36 PM   #6389
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I have tried six or seven burned CDs and all but one worked. They were mixed manufacturer, and mixed systems in that they were all sent to me by friends so they were not burned on the same CD-R mechanism.

All of the CDs I have tried (10-12) have worked flawlessly. The original problem I had was trying to read a bonus DVD with the CD player .
Old 25th October 2012, 06:04 PM   #6390
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Tibi,
How's the progress on the fully mounted and tested shigaclone? How many had been ship out already.

Best regards

Hide this!Advertise here!