Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 627 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 03:21 PM   #6261
diyAudio Member

Congrats! You seemed to have combined wisdom and wacky, hippy dippy and scientific. Quite a combination.
Old 11th September 2012, 07:15 PM   #6262
diyAudio Member

Would an AMB gamma 1 dac (offers S/PDIF input standard) be a decent companion for this?
Old 12th September 2012, 10:57 PM   #6263
diyAudio Member

Just an update on my spider-mod: I am currently waiting for a dry, warm day so I can go out and collect more spider webs: I intend to coat all my spare mechanisms with webs as well.

When I was writing the description above, I have only listened to a few songs and did not appreciate the full effect of the mod. Now I consider it anything BUT subtle. I have been going through my CD collection today, with my mouth agape most of the time.

It is hard to describe what exactly is better. I mean, it's not like "wow, there's more bass!" or "hey, I could swear the treble is cleaner now!". Rather, everything is more real: there is depth, there is air, there is texture... The sound is smoother, but at the same time more dynamic; it's direct and intimate, but never in-your-face. Oh, and guess what - I heard many details for the first time today

I used to do almost all my listening at the same, moderate volume because I disliked the somewhat shouty/harsh character of my system at louder volumes. After the spider-mod, I found I prefer to listen at a noticeably higher volume then before (+ 2.5dB), which not only sounds more realistic than softer volume, but also I never feel any shoutiness any more. So I think I can say that the spider-mod extended the dynamic range of my system in a way.

All in all, a fantastic mod, and what's best, it's virtually free
I was trying to think of an explanation for this surprising improvement, and I think it is mainly thanks to two factors:
- the rotating mass is much lower, which means less inertia, which means better control over the movement of the disc - obvious.
- the sticky silk acts as a sort of suspension on which the CD rides: firstly, it dampens vibration, and secondly, because the CD is not clamped from above, it has a small degree of freedom which - in combination with the centrifugal forces acting on the CD - may naturally smooth out the vertical movements of the disc.

It is my best explanation anyway
Old 12th September 2012, 11:04 PM   #6264
diyAudio Member

I wonder if any reusable adhesive might have the same effect? Regards
Old 12th September 2012, 11:08 PM   #6265
diyAudio Member

Maybe some teflon?
Old 12th September 2012, 11:25 PM   #6266
diyAudio Member

Teflon is non-sticky, which is exact opposite of what we want - not to mention it is extremely difficult to coat anything with it.

I was thinking of a Post-it note kind of glue. It is not necessary to have the coating on the entire platform, so perhaps cutting two glue strips from Post-it notes, tensioning them on the platform and finally taping the ends to the underside of the platform would work. Post-it glue is a lot weaker than spider glue, but it is worth a try I guess.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:31 PM   #6267
diyAudio Member

Maybe double sided foam sticky tape, like they use to hang mirrors. You could cut it down in width just enough to hang on
Old 12th September 2012, 11:46 PM   #6268
diyAudio Member

I thought of that too - but it's probably too strong, and it's definitely too thick. The distance between the disc and the laser must be maintained. Although, if you feel comfortable adjusting the platform mounting height on the motor spindle, you could try it...
Old 13th September 2012, 12:01 AM   #6269
neoinc is offline neoinc  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Try 3M ahesive spray use for photo and card mounting? It gives a tacky feel and just nice for paper stuff. I will try it when i got my machine from Tvicol. Thanks for the idea Uncle Leon.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:30 AM   #6270
diyAudio Member

Default CD Turntable interface materials

I have been reading the dialog on various CD Turntable interface materials and there was some mention of thickness of the material potentially causing issues with the laser focus on the CD.

While there certainly is a limit to the up and down travel of the laser head travel to focus on the CD above it, double sided tape and other sticky interfaces that are not excessively thick will not be a problem for the laser servos to deal with. The travel in most laser heads is on the order of +/- .060" or greater and this one appears to be no exception.

That allows for a lot of experimentation on interface materials...so have at it.

Hide this!Advertise here!