Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 07:05 AM   #6251
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
syklab,

See attachment for IR pcb.
For switch dimensions please refer to
TACTM-69N-F NINIGI - Switch: microswitch | Transfer Multisort Elektronik

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dimensions_Shiga remote_22082012.pdf (18.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf Tsilk_Shiga remote_22082012.pdf (20.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by tvicol; 7th September 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 9th September 2012, 12:57 AM   #6252
Dimitris
diyAudio Member

I was wondering if anyone has tested the transport with a minimal non-oversampling non-filtering dac like a 47 labs clone or something.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:19 AM   #6253
diyAudio Member

Dimkasta, you might want to check out Peter Daniel's NOS DAC - non-oversampling, non-filtering and passive I/V output stage - simplicity incarnate. And it works great with Shiga
Old 9th September 2012, 10:47 PM   #6254
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I bult one of Peter Daniels NOS DAC from a kit a couple of years (?) ago.
Sounds really good to me! The boards are not available currently, but there is a thread about an updated version here which would have to be built P2P.

Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC
Old 10th September 2012, 08:55 AM   #6255
diyAudio Member

Yes, Peter's updated DAC is excellent; in fact, the best I've heard... The latest version is is just two chips with their separate power supplies and a couple of resistors - quite easy to execute even on a generic perfboard, just use a DIP version of the CS8412.
Old 10th September 2012, 03:57 PM   #6256
diyAudio Member

Where is info about Peter's updated DAC?
Old 10th September 2012, 04:00 PM   #6257
secanbj is offline secanbj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC
Old 10th September 2012, 04:04 PM   #6258
Dimitris
diyAudio Member

Check the link above

Unfortunately as per Bobken's sayings, this dac is very difficult and very component dependent (page 9).

I wish Peter had his kits still available
Old 10th September 2012, 07:38 PM   #6259
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Check the link above

Unfortunately as per Bobken's sayings, this dac is very difficult and very component dependent (page 9).

I wish Peter had his kits still available
Can we please take the DAC related matters to Peter's thread mentioned above? There, if not Peter, then Bobken or I will do my best to help. Just to clarify: while I agree that Peter's DAC is very component-dependent, this is true for any audio device really. Also, there exist reasonable substitutes for most of Peter's parts choices.

Now, getting back to the Shigaclone, I am happy to share what is probably the craziest mod I have done so far (and boy, have I done some crazy mods ):

I mentioned a while back, that I felt that with some sticky coating on the CD platform, Shiga should be able to operate with very lightweight, non-magnetic puck. As I find natural materials sound better than artificial, I was only looking for natural substances.

At first, I thought of natural latex rubber. You can buy this stuff in liquid form (it is used for advanced make up, creating artificial scars etc.), which should work for coating the CD platform. Indeed, I will probably try it at some point.

But then, a thought occurred to me - so crazy, I initially dismissed it, and only came back to it in a "what the hell, might as well try" moment: spider silk. It is very fine and lightweight, so will not upset the mechanism balance; it is tacky, but does not glue permanently. Seemed perfect, just kind of difficult to collect and let's face it - wacky.

So I went to the garden with a bent piece of some plastic frame and spent a very sticky half an hour collecting spider webs. I tried my best to avoid debris, but still, the end result looked anything but appetizing:

Click the image to open in full size.

Thankfully, the CD platter is small enough that I managed to find a suitable, reasonably clean section of the "super web":

I first stuck the entire web on the platter and then I cut a large circle around it. The web collapsed and shrunk as soon as it lost tension, wrapping itself nicely around the platform edges. Here it is with a CD on:

The web seemed pretty sticky, so I decided to try it with no puck whatsoever. I just pressed the CD firmly, reset the player and...

...it worked! I was really thrilled The CD takes noticeably less time to accelerate on start-up, and the motor clearly has an easier time spinning it.

But the most important question is, of course: how it sounds?
The stock puck has a bit harsh and kind of edgy sound, I think everyone agrees on that. The few makeshift non-magnetic pucks I tried all had smoother sound, but I felt they were introducing their own colourations. The "spider puck" on the other hand, has smooth sound with no apparent colourations at all. What's more, the sound got very refined in a subtle sort of way. It got airier, with more definition and depth. It is a very subtle difference, but of the kind you instinctively feel is right. I never had the chance to try a really well made puck (such as the ebony ones Fran made a while back), so I can't say which is better... Spider puck is really good though.

I have only done this mod today, and obviously I am unable to comment on its long-term reliability (which is probably poor, to be honest). Certainly it's not convenient for swapping CDs - the web is very tacky and the CD has to be carefully peeled off the platform every time (otherwise, the web would tear). I don't really mind though.

All in all, it is a mod as crazy as it is successful, and while I do not expect a massive crowd of followers, I thought it would make an interesting read at the very least

Last edited by uncle_leon; 10th September 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:37 PM   #6260
Dimitris
diyAudio Member

By far the wackiest mod I have seen

Hide this!Advertise here!