Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 613 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2012, 10:09 PM   #6121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post

Fran, the switch is built into the CD mech.

But on the original shiga there was a switch that the laser sled touched.... But it mustn't be on this board or else the prototype above wouldn't work....
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:28 PM   #6122
diyAudio Member

This is what I am trying to say - the switch is built into the Sanyo CD mech, you can just about see it on the picture: SANYO OPTICAL LASER LENS SF-P101N (15PIN) W/MECHANISM | eBay
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:52 PM   #6123
diyAudio Member

OK, I think I see the story now. When I've used one of the ebay mechs I've always taken off that bottom board...

I just a did a check there, and the mechs I have are the 16pin versions and they have the switch. I also looked at a mech that I bought with the 3 ball platform (ie no magnetic puck needed) and it doesn't have the bottom board. I probably removed it while testing though.

Sorry for the confusion!!
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:24 PM   #6124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
Wood type will flavour the tone to some extent, and perhaps affect clarity somewhat, but these are generally minor differences, nuances.
Ah, but the nuances are important too! I was referring to the cap construction in this case. So if I am looking for a nuanced movement in the direction of clarity, which wood choice do I make?
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:11 AM   #6125
diyAudio Member

payment sent.
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:45 AM   #6126
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

There are two basic versions of the SF-P101N mechanism. The only difference being the CD mount.

If I am correct, the recommendation is to remove the factory mounting mechanism (left - 3 ball or right - 3 point clinch) and replace it with either a magnetic or mechanical screw clamp assembly.

Note these mechanisms are also available in 15 Pin vs the required 16 pin variant for ShigaClone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony SF-P101N mechanism_1.JPG (176.1 KB, 335 views)
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:52 AM   #6127
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Payment sent.

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:48 AM   #6128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Ah, but the nuances are important too! I was referring to the cap construction in this case. So if I am looking for a nuanced movement in the direction of clarity, which wood choice do I make?
Ebony is your choice then. I did mean it when I said it is expensive though - just enough of it to make one capacitor like my VNM Cap, would cost me about 125. I could make such a cap for you, naturally - but even I would consider it a bit extravagant! Your money would be much better spent getting another VNM cap for use in C9 (C908), or for your DAC input.

Keep in mind, what actually matters is the overall resonant behaviour of the entire component. One could conceivably build an excellent, rigid oak capacitor, that would sound superior to flimsy / poorly made ebony cap. This is not unlike making musical instruments (the famous "pallet guitar" by Bob Taylor proves it's not all about the exquisite timbers). So I settled for sapele, which is an excellent-sounding wood, and pleasant to work with - if not quite the best there is.

The same rule holds true for the entire devices by the way - their resonant properties can have significant impact on the sound, but the way they are built and mounted is just as important as the materials used.
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:56 AM   #6129
diyAudio Member

Hi Tibi,
the invoice you just sent is wrong.

I didn't order an assembled unit but a diyaudio DIY KIT only, see my post #6031.

According to your post #5995, I'd be going to pay 40.45 EUR.

----
For and ONLY diyaudio members we are offering
DIY Shiga KIT - 40.45euro - TVA included
This include PCB; CD mechanic SFP101N-16P; chipset LA9242M, LC78601RE, LA6541, transistor set 2SA608NF, 2SB764E, 2SA1342; custom multiplexed LCD.
Plase also note that you may order any of this parts in any quantity you need. Also note that you need to be registered on the list before 15.July.
This product will not be available via vicol-audio webshop and all the sale will be done trough diyaudio forum - you contact me and Il bill you via paypal.
.................................................. .................................................. .

I'm waiting the correct invoice.

Thank you,

Stefano
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:15 AM   #6130
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Hi Stefano,

You are registered on line 128 with Shiga ready mounted and tested
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZSlNWR2c#gid=0

Ill cancel your invoice and send another one for DIY Shiga KIT.

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!