Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 586 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2012, 11:13 PM   #5851
diyAudio Member

Great news Tibi. Will your parts tweaking also consider whether some changes improve the overall sound, or is the tweaking limited to getting it to work properly?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:11 AM   #5852
diyAudio Member

Default JVC for sale

Hi,
I have a spare JVC RC-EZ31 for sale. I built one and wont need the spare. $40 US plus actual shipping. I removed it from the box after confirming remote, ect worked. Ships from Seattle Wa USA 98126
Old 19th June 2012, 07:40 AM   #5853
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by valo View Post
NIce work, cant wait to get my board
We are still waiting for LCD samples. The datasheet was signed by us last month. These should arrive in max. 2 weeks from now.
If LCD samples are OK, we are going to give green light for LCD batch production. This will take another 3-4 weeks.

Starting with 1st August our webshop will be open.
You´ll have the option to chose between full mounted and tested shiga or kit with hard to find parts.
Everyone will be served, but diyaudio members who are are registered in GB list will have priority.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 19th June 2012, 07:51 AM   #5854
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but diyaudio members who are are registered in GB list will have priority.

Nice move ...
Old 19th June 2012, 08:08 AM   #5855
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Great news Tibi. Will your parts tweaking also consider whether some changes improve the overall sound, or is the tweaking limited to getting it to work properly?
Regarding parts Peter did already a great job.
We have added more space on the board for that parts and now is more easy to tune it.
However, compared with original shiga, we have 6 extra low noise regulators who push shiga performance even further.
For your convenience a list with best parts is already in BOM.

¨fine tuning¨ means that we are changing few components values to match original board, correct schematic and adjust PCB board for best routings.

Best Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by tvicol; 19th June 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 19th June 2012, 02:53 PM   #5856
diyAudio Member

Default attenuators

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I have tried your attenuator too now. I have not finished my tests yet, but I am already convinced that it is better than all the commercial resistor combinations I have tried thus far. The degree of the difference surprised me too - ordinarily, one would have to strain and focus to be able to tell, say an Audio Note's Tantalum from a Kiwame: both rather grainy, and only separated by Kiwame's slight warmth. In the case of the attenuator, the difference is plainly obvious - an across-the-board improvement. Especially, the wide soundstage, great dynamics and instrument separation is very noticeable.

However, the most important comparison (to me at least) I put off till the end - will my own hand-made resistors emerge victorious again? I have my initial impressions already, and I feel I know the answer, but I need to do further listening to make sure I'm not being biased.

At any rate - great find Fran, this attenuator is indeed excellent!

Uncle leo, when you say you've used single resistors, what exactly do you mean? The attenuators indicated by Fran use a Pi scheme (http://217.34.103.131/pdfs/HAT-6-75.pdf). Have use used the resistors as such? You can calculate them here: Pi Attenuator Calculator

Otherwise, how were you using the resistors?
Old 19th June 2012, 03:32 PM   #5857
diyAudio Member

General computer audio comparison question

Hi all,
I suppose some here have compared their shiga clone to one or more computer based transports. I know that these things can vary a lot, for each one has his own mods and way of mounting the shiga clone; and a computer audio server can be many things. I believe this is an interesting comparison, because there are too many people, especially in computeraudio forums, affirming uncritically that CD players and transports are dead. My experience is that an optimized macmini using audinivana sounds better (provided that the cd was properly ripped, which is far from obvious) than many CD players deemed to be excellent. That said, it does not sound better than a reasonably well implemented shiga clone. So CD transports are not dead, but computer audio is taking the whole thing to a higher level. My experience has been with a macmini, which though heavily tweaked and optimized, I know is not ideal. Apparently things can get much better with a proper dedicated PC and a good USB/SPDIF converter (which can be very/too expensive). At any rate, I wonder if there is any interest on this issue in this thread. I really wish CD transports/players can keep up with what's going on "on the other side", at least from a purely sonic perspective. My impression is that it is possible (without spending $40k for the stupid no-matter-how-good-it-sounds spectral player...), but some constructive comparisons and experience exchange would be necessary lest projects like this (ie the shigaraki cloning) become another idiosyncratic hobby of a few fanatics. This thread is so long and rich of information, and there has been so much effort from many individuals with this project that it would be a pity not to bring everything to the larger context of what today people understand as digital audio.
Old 19th June 2012, 04:09 PM   #5858
diyAudio Member

A question about the Shiga player.
Does anyone know how to fine tune or adjust the sample-rate of the player? The dac I'm using has a VCXO and it is not locking with the shiga, which means that the player's SR must be slightly off. I need to adjust it to be -+150ppm. Anybody knows how to do it?
Old 19th June 2012, 05:32 PM   #5859
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mods, perhaps a new thread?

Why not search for general DIY transport projects ... and if not found then create one, where your question can be answered without ending up way off topic?Better yet, I'll create one.

I have some interest in this. In fact I have an old Panasonic CDRW with Firewire out marketed by Que!Fire in it's own enclosure that I think could make an excellent transport. I also know that there are a few folks that have used complete soundcards in a separate powered enclosure. It makes sense that these could be combined into a complete single chassis "cd player". I suppose there must be a few folks interested in this.
Old 19th June 2012, 05:53 PM   #5860
diyAudio Member

Hi Nanook,
I'm not sure I understand your reply. You mean create a new thread for my question about sample-rate issues?
The problem I'm having is specific to the shigaclone, so I don't get your suggestion.

If on the other hand you're referring to my post about comparing computer transports to the shiga, I'd be also confused...

Hide this!Advertise here!