Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 584 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:10 PM   #5831
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member
 
c12mech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GTMO
Those look nice. Any word on what the price is going to be for those of us signed up for them? I'm looking forward to putting this one together for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:16 PM   #5832
tvicol is online now tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member
 
tvicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bucharest
Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
Those look nice. Any word on what the price is going to be for those of us signed up for them? I'm looking forward to putting this one together for sure.
These are prototype boards and cost us a lot.
When the boards are populated and the project tested, we are going to negotiate final order with PCB factory. Till then I can not give any price.

Regards,
Tibi
__________________
Shiga 2013 GB SHIGA MKII
Vicol-Audio
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:38 PM   #5833
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member
 
CeeVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
Prototype boards are ready. :-)

Regards,
Tibi
Ohhhh sexy !
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:15 PM   #5834
diyAudio Member
 
uncle_leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Czyżeminek, near Łdź
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
Prototype boards are ready. :-)

Regards,
Tibi
Sweet!
__________________
Studio Zy - natural, hand-crafted components for hi-end audio.
"Dare to be different, and you may stumble upon something amazing."
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:31 PM   #5835
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member
 
TheGimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Johnson City, TN
Very nice indeed!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:13 PM   #5836
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW View Post
Hi Fran,

Just to feedback... Thank you very much sharing the Precision Attenuators approach.. I tried it ... yes much better than using resistors alone.. as you can easily dial in and optimise the sound... I ended up with a total of 30db attenuation..

BTW - sorry for not being back here sooner. That's exactly what I heard - and I think the 2 of us are the only people to have tried it out here. Well done!!


tvicol: well done on the boards! when you build one, have you got an original shiga to compare?


Fran
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:51 PM   #5837
diyAudio Member
 
uncle_leon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Czyżeminek, near Łdź
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
BTW - sorry for not being back here sooner. That's exactly what I heard - and I think the 2 of us are the only people to have tried it out here. Well done!!


tvicol: well done on the boards! when you build one, have you got an original shiga to compare?


Fran
I have tried your attenuator too now. I have not finished my tests yet, but I am already convinced that it is better than all the commercial resistor combinations I have tried thus far. The degree of the difference surprised me too - ordinarily, one would have to strain and focus to be able to tell, say an Audio Note's Tantalum from a Kiwame: both rather grainy, and only separated by Kiwame's slight warmth. In the case of the attenuator, the difference is plainly obvious - an across-the-board improvement. Especially, the wide soundstage, great dynamics and instrument separation is very noticeable.

However, the most important comparison (to me at least) I put off till the end - will my own hand-made resistors emerge victorious again? I have my initial impressions already, and I feel I know the answer, but I need to do further listening to make sure I'm not being biased.

At any rate - great find Fran, this attenuator is indeed excellent!
__________________
Studio Zy - natural, hand-crafted components for hi-end audio.
"Dare to be different, and you may stumble upon something amazing."
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:04 AM   #5838
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ste-Agathe des Monts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I have tried your attenuator too now. I have not finished my tests yet, but I am already convinced that it is better than all the commercial resistor combinations I have tried thus far. The degree of the difference surprised me too - ordinarily, one would have to strain and focus to be able to tell, say an Audio Note's Tantalum from a Kiwame: both rather grainy, and only separated by Kiwame's slight warmth. In the case of the attenuator, the difference is plainly obvious - an across-the-board improvement. Especially, the wide soundstage, great dynamics and instrument separation is very noticeable.

However, the most important comparison (to me at least) I put off till the end - will my own hand-made resistors emerge victorious again? I have my initial impressions already, and I feel I know the answer, but I need to do further listening to make sure I'm not being biased.

At any rate - great find Fran, this attenuator is indeed excellent!
Fran, BTW, uncle_leon,
I would appreciate you guide me towards posts or thread, to read more about what you three have done with the attenuators.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:17 AM   #5839
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Hi uncle-leon,
I don't get it, isn't the attenuators are also resistors network?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:41 AM   #5840
tvicol is online now tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member
 
tvicol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bucharest
Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
...

tvicol: well done on the boards! when you build one, have you got an original shiga to compare?


Fran
Yes, we have an original shiga for final comparison. :-)

Regards,
Tibi
__________________
Shiga 2013 GB SHIGA MKII
Vicol-Audio
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2