Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 573 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 07:52 PM   #5721
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried Corian or similar kitchen counter material? It's relatively heavy, inexpensive and easy to cut with standard woodworking tools (router, saw, drill press).

Also, glass (clear or frosted) in 1/4-inch thicknesses could be a pretty striking feature--though obviously requires commercial-grade diamond-tipped cutting tools.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:37 PM   #5722
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
We can make something like this that utilizes the 9x12 granite.
I can supply the 2 top aluminum plates and wood main body.
The granite base will have to be ordered and drilled by yourself.

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I love this one! - I am assuming in this variant laser mech would be mounted directly in wood...?
I also support the idea of making one's own base - shipping a piece of granite across the ocean would hardly be cost-effective...
Old 27th March 2012, 08:53 PM   #5723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I love this one! - I am assuming in this variant laser mech would be mounted directly in wood...?
I also support the idea of making one's own base - shipping a piece of granite across the ocean would hardly be cost-effective...

Ideally it would be better to mount the laser mech to the heavy base. I will try to draw an exploded view to show how the chassis is assembled
Old 27th March 2012, 09:35 PM   #5724
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 28th March 2012, 04:32 AM   #5725
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not sure how we can drill holes in it (the granite) to mount the laser mechanism.
The diamond drills referenced earlier or carbide tipped drills do well here. Diamond tips used with coolant/lubricant are the way to go for clean edges; carbide drills will leave a fractured edge in granite. If the hole/anchorage is covered this shouldn't be a concern.
The hole for a fastener may be drilled oversize to receive a threaded insert which is epoxied in place with a template. One could make the template or (with care) use the laser mechanism as the template while the epoxy sets.

Quote:
Has anyone tried Corian or similar kitchen counter material?
They would be a suitable materials. Check with your local counter top professional. They will have available the cut-outs from sink installations and be able to assist with the fabrication to suit.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 28th March 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:54 PM   #5726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
Ideally it would be better to mount the laser mech to the heavy base. I will try to draw an exploded view to show how the chassis is assembled
Thanks apoopoo, that makes sense. So the two aluminium parts are for decoration only?
Old 28th March 2012, 04:28 PM   #5727
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
Thanks apoopoo, that makes sense. So the two aluminium parts are for decoration only?
The aluminum pieces are handles for picking up and moving the player
Old 28th March 2012, 11:03 PM   #5728
diyAudio Member

Default Plinth Material

I'm not thinking so grandiose as granite. My current thought is Plaster of Paris. It's stiff, it' heavy, it's relatively dead acoustically. Think concrete without the rocks and gravel. I would reinforce it with hemp (the traditional approach) or possibly the fibers that are used in concrete.

This is a traditional molding material that is used in automotive design studios to cast clay models. It's easy to mold to shape. It's easy to cast in threaded fasteners or pockets for legs. When you have everything fitting properly, you can seal it and paint it. Just don't drop it, because it is brittle. But then again, we shouldn't be dropping the CD play either.

Just a thought.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:06 PM   #5729
diyAudio Member

I hadn't seen Ed's idea of Portland Cement. That the ticket. Portland and Plaster of Paris are kissing cousins.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:13 PM   #5730
diyAudio Member

I successfully used granite for one of my builds. I bought a granite chopping board from my local tesco, and then cut that into 3 using a tile saw. I stacked and then bonded the 3 layers together with silicone. I also added an aluminium layer which I used for legs (the whole thing sits on 3 damped springs). This gives me a very inert and heavy support.

A masonry drill bit in a drill press at reasonable speed and flooded with water made the job very easy. I drilled the holes oversized, then fitted the mech to the 2 standoffs, and then epoxied that into place. In this particular build I also separated the control board from the mech.

I think you all need to consider something more than just mass - I think that mass also needs to be decoupled from the shelf too. I used springs - just one solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3532 copy.jpg (505.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3555 copy.jpg (422.0 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3557 copy.jpg (431.3 KB, 349 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!