Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2012, 11:55 AM   #5661
tonyptony is offline tonyptony  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking work. I did have one question: would it be possible to orient R50, R51 and Dout so that they are close together? I'm not sure, but for those of us who will be using a 75 Ohm coax cable directly to a BNC out having the 75 Ohm resistors right near the Dout pins may make for an interface with lower reflections.

OTOH, given the distance on the board and the Dout connector itself, the gains may not be as large as I think.

Last edited by tonyptony; 19th March 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:10 PM   #5662
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Nice looking work. I did have one question: would it be possible to orient R50, R51 and Dout so that they are close together? I'm not sure, but for those of us who will be using a 75 Ohm coax cable directly to a BNC out having the 75 Ohm resistors right near the Dout pins may make for an interface with lower reflections.

OTOH, given the distance on the board and the Dout connector itself, the gains may not be as large as I think.
Yes, it is possible, but ...
... we have ¨adapted¨ the board a litle to our future transport who will have front display very close to board. If we move the connector on the same part with display it may be a problem if coax cable is a little thicker and, as you mentioned, the gain for 2 cm is disputable.
Instead, I would focus my resources to very high quality for R50, R51.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 19th March 2012, 12:11 PM   #5663
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use a resistance iron for this job?

I've been thinking about how to put this board together. As I don't have a SMD workstation or a way to do a solder flow bath , I've been looking at the tools I have. I have a number of standard soldering irons of course, but I also have an adjustable resistance iron. I suspect using a regular iron for SMDs is a bit challenging. My resistance iron has a tweezer type handpiece where I can offset the tips to account for each tip being at a slightly different height. I thought this might be ideal for holding down the SMDs with one tip, and having the other tip make contact with the solder pad on the PCB. If this could work, the beauty of it is that I can stop the current flow through the iron after the solder joint has been made but continue to hold on to it until the joint is set.

Does anyone know if a resistance type iron can work for this sort of SMD soldering?
Old 19th March 2012, 12:13 PM   #5664
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
as you mentioned, the gain for 2 cm is disputable.
Instead, I would focus my resources to very high quality for R50, R51.
Thanks Tibi. I suspected this had been considered.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:14 PM   #5665
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=billo44;2949021]

I was trying to put together bobken regs last year and couldn't find the 15R caddock MP330 among other components.

I probably couldn't find it because I should have been looking for a MP930 Caddock ... I have made a few corrections to my BOM. But still can't find a MK132 caddock with a 428 value?

Any advice?

Cheers
Bill
Old 19th March 2012, 12:20 PM   #5666
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
I´m using a Velleman 30W standard iron, with ceramic heating element.
All you need is a little practice and a very good solder.

Regards,
Tibi

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:52 PM   #5667
Manolo47 is offline Manolo47  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default SANYO LASER DRIVE Mecahnism flat cable

Hi:

I need to replace the flat 15 pin ribbon connector in my Shigaraki transport and would like to know where to get it. It seems that there are a lot of variations of this cable 16 pin, 12, 24 etc. but I cannot find the 15 pin with the appropriate length of arond 9 to 8"

Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 01:57 PM   #5668
jazz35 is offline jazz35  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo47 View Post
Hi:

I need to replace the flat 15 pin ribbon connector in my Shigaraki transport and would like to know where to get it. It seems that there are a lot of variations of this cable 16 pin, 12, 24 etc. but I cannot find the 15 pin with the appropriate length of arond 9 to 8"

Thanks
Try this code at Digikey: HF15U-08-ND

jazz35
Old 19th March 2012, 03:03 PM   #5669
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
I´m using a Velleman 30W standard iron, with ceramic heating element.
I guess I could use my Hakko FX-888, but I don't have any tips small enough for SMD work. Anyone know what the right tip size would be for this sort of work? Would chisel be better than ball or pointed tip?
Old 19th March 2012, 03:14 PM   #5670
commstech is offline commstech  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo47 View Post
Hi:

Thanks
if u cannot find exactly what u want,just snip off the additional pins at both ends with a sharp cutter. i did that and it works perfectly.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone storyHide this!Advertise here!