Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2012, 09:43 AM   #5651
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW View Post
Hi Fran,

Think I'll give your RF attenuators recommendation a try.. I just like to know currently which combination works best for you... 10dB + 15dB ? Another question, instead of putting the 2 RF attenuators in series, have you tried putting the 2 attenuators at either ends of the DAC and Shigaclone.. and any difference ? .. my rack's quite close to the back wall.. might be a tight squeeze if I put the 2 attenuators back to back.

Right now I'm using a 20dB at one end of the cable and a 15dB at the other end. I did try them directly in series but I couldn't tell any difference. I'm using a buffalo dac (one of the earlier ones) and it stays locked no problem at that level. I think if I were ordering them up I would order a few - maybe get a 2 x 15db, 10 and a 6 as well. That would give you many combinations. That 25+15 was the highest amount I could go without causing dropout on the spdif line, so if your dac needs a slightly higher signal to lock on, then it might not work with that much attenuation.

Fran
Old 18th March 2012, 11:13 AM   #5652
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Hi Fran,

Thanks a lot for the information... I'm using the Buffalo 2 with Diyhif Supply UTS... so should be quite similar to your set-up. I'll arrange to buy some of these attenuator as per your recommendations to try out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Right now I'm using a 20dB at one end of the cable and a 15dB at the other end. I did try them directly in series but I couldn't tell any difference. I'm using a buffalo dac (one of the earlier ones) and it stays locked no problem at that level. I think if I were ordering them up I would order a few - maybe get a 2 x 15db, 10 and a 6 as well. That would give you many combinations. That 25+15 was the highest amount I could go without causing dropout on the spdif line, so if your dac needs a slightly higher signal to lock on, then it might not work with that much attenuation.

Fran
Old 18th March 2012, 06:40 PM   #5653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post

Fran
I wonder just how much better the attenuators are from the resistors you've tried. I have recently made my own resistors, which literally transformed my Shiga sound when installed at the output. Would be interested in a little comparison, Fran?
Old 18th March 2012, 09:54 PM   #5654
jazz35 is offline jazz35  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi,
This is the design proposal for our shiga pcb.
As you can see in the schematic provided, this board will accomodate different types of components. For an easy identification the alternative/additional components (ex: LTs regs & additional components, TentLabs oscillator, etc) are marked with an white rectangle.

Bottom side
Click the image to open in full size.

Top side

Any sugestion ?!
jazz35
Old 18th March 2012, 11:55 PM   #5655
diyAudio Member

Fantastic work on the design!
Old 19th March 2012, 12:37 AM   #5656
diyAudio Member

Jazz35: not qualified to offer any opinion, but it looks great!

Uncle leon: sounds like a good idea! I was using rikens in there before, the blue ones with the gold leads. How do you suggest to proceed?

Fran
Old 19th March 2012, 02:24 AM   #5657
diyAudio Member

If you order a transport from youpay do not forget to order the cable, i forgot, duh
Old 19th March 2012, 07:37 AM   #5658
tvicol is online now tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkert1978 View Post
Fantastic work on the design!
Thank you !

We are going to move further with power supply board and display.
For display well use a three digit one. Two digits for cd track and one for other signs. Ex: for play - P; for pause || etc.

If you have any suggestions/observations/critics please express them now.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 19th March 2012, 08:17 AM   #5659
diyAudio Member

what would be freq of Xo2
shiga oscillator Is 16.934MHz but CD audio works with 11.289 MHz
Old 19th March 2012, 08:32 AM   #5660
tvicol is online now tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoloko View Post
what would be freq of Xo2
shiga oscillator Is 16.934MHz but CD audio works with 11.289 MHz
XO2 is 16934400Hz

In general any CD transport will use an oscillator with multiple of 44100Hz (CD sampling rate).
In our case 384 x 44100 = 16.934400MHz

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!