Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 555 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 08:41 PM   #5541
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

With the resurgence in this project happening, would anyone be interested in the top plate for an enclosure that is machined to fit around the cd mechanism? I'm talking about something like Peter originally used but in different materials. Wood, plastic, aluminum, copper, etc. If there was enough interest I would be willing to make some. The goal would be to do enough of them to keep the pricing reasonable.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:29 PM   #5542
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
With the resurgence in this project happening, would anyone be interested in the top plate for an enclosure that is machined to fit around the cd mechanism? I'm talking about something like Peter originally used but in different materials. Wood, plastic, aluminum, copper, etc. If there was enough interest I would be willing to make some. The goal would be to do enough of them to keep the pricing reasonable.
You bet...I'm interested.
Old 8th March 2012, 10:15 PM   #5543
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz35 View Post
@tonyptony
I'll use a 2mm pin spacing header
jazz
Got it. Thank you.
Old 9th March 2012, 03:15 AM   #5544
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sounds interesting for me too!
Old 9th March 2012, 03:34 AM   #5545
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do. It is not easy to get metal work done in HK.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:42 AM   #5546
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
Latest schematic version.
As now there is more space on the board, we have added one more LT1763-5 regulator. This will split digital power -pin 22 from VCO and XO power - pin 6&62 on LC78601.

Regards,
Tibi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf shigaclone_diyaudio_rev2_08032012.pdf (122.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 9th March 2012, 11:32 AM   #5547
diyAudio Member

Default Shigaclone using RC-EZ51H

I managed to find a BNIB RC-EZ51H for less than £50 which was delivered yesterday. I got the last one from in stock from Power Direct.

I have stripped it down and can confirm that the control board for the transport is the same as the EZ31, with the same marking and design revisions. There are some differences with the interface/lcd board and the power supply but the important bits are the same.
Iíve stripped it down and getting ready for some mods.

Will post updates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120309_122234.jpg (160.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120309_122318.jpg (215.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 9th March 2012, 11:48 AM   #5548
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I like your solid design and (equally solid) parts choices, billo44. Where did you get that cast iron base?
Thanks! I work in a wood stove import company, I have a small but steady supply of reject, mis-ground stove top cooking griddles.... the top surface is finished on a large drum sander, not completely flat but close enough generally.

I like cast iron because it is pretty dead to vibrations and is an excellent heat sink. Easy to drill and tap as well, but it is a dirty metal.

Cast iron cookware could be an option for weird looking audio projects!
I have to admit I am not expecting an overwhelming positive response to that suggestion!

I kind of caught up with this thread (the bits I understood anyway) and put my name on the list for new boards..., very good idea! I had purchased three laser mechanisms a while ago, I have two left.

Bill
Old 9th March 2012, 12:03 PM   #5549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybear View Post
I managed to find a BNIB RC-EZ51H for less than £50 which was delivered yesterday.
Lucky!

I hate to bring this up (especially if it's already been discussed within these 500+ pages! ), but do we know if the SF-P101 mechanism many of us late adopters will wind up using is as good as the original EZ31 that Peter used?

I'd been following this thread for years but never had the guts to try it before. The thing that interested me the most was Peter's indication that this little project bettered (in his opinion) his own ML 31.5 and similar high end transports. I'm hoping the same will hold true for those of us who use the SF-P101.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:20 PM   #5550
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
tonyptony,

SF-P101 is not an ®adopted® mechanism, it is exactly the same cd mechanism used in original Shigaraki transport.
EZ31 and few other boomboxes have same SF-P101 inside.

Regards,
Tibi

Hide this!Advertise here!