Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 554 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2012, 09:45 PM   #5531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
I appreciate that we are trying to improve over the original, and having extra options to choose from is certainly great. But still, the most common digital interface (by far) is SPDIF over RCA, so I would propose to keep this as our "basic" solution. I heartily support Tibi's proposal to design an extra (optional) PCB for all the more exotic connectors and reclocking.

I would like to reiterate my appeal to try to keep this project friendly to the less skilled DIYers, and also reasonably cheap. There is nothing to stop us from designing a new player after this one, with some much more advanced solutions, or hardcore choices.
I'm of two minds about this, uncle_leon. While I appreciate and agree with your statement about keeping this DIY friendly and in keeping with the original concept, history often shows that the "next, enhanced version" sometimes never comes to pass. Given how long it's taken for Peter's (and others') brainchild to come to its current state, I'm not sure a subsequent version with this extra capability will ever have the same momentum behind it.

I would offer that if this base design is considered good enough to be used as a foundation for its own improvements, any such improvements should be considered within the context of being able to fit into said design. If it can be done in a way that allows for these features to be incorporated as desired then I think it will keep the DIY-friendly aspect intact. But such improvemnts may wish to be considered now to see if it will require small perturbations to the current design, to allow for later implementation.

As for RCA out, yes it is the most common interface. Perhaps if there were a way to fit the PCB with the pin and pitch layout for either RCA or BNC it would then leave the builder with the opportunity to fit the interface to support their need? It would then allow for a proper 75 Ohm output to be inherent on the board. For sizing purposes I'd recommend something like an Amphenol 031-70221.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:08 PM   #5532
diyAudio Member

I see what you are saying, tonyptony, and you do have a point.

Another thought has just occurred to me - why any connectors should be mounted on the control PCB in the first place? Most people, I suspect, will prefer to have the connectors mounted to their cases - hence my proposition is, let's leave the digital output "bare", similar to what we had with the original Shiga. The choice (and wiring) of connectors will be then up to the constructor.
Old 8th March 2012, 01:32 AM   #5533
diyAudio Member

That sounds reasonable. As long as it can be done in a way that would not compromise the ability to get a true 75 Ohm signal path to the back panel. I expect AES/EBU Type I could be done the same way. Optical of either sort would have to be board mounted, I think.
Old 8th March 2012, 03:10 AM   #5534
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

If this is a laser/Diode output, and not the receiver photo-diode/phototransistor, shouldn't it be relatively insensitive such that a section of something like RG-174 wold be sufficient as long as one was talking about a couple of inches (<6" / <15cm)?
Old 8th March 2012, 04:59 AM   #5535
diyAudio Member

hi,
I put a jvc rcez 31 on ebay,I didn't want to sell it ,but need the cash,I hope someone will enjoy it and forgive me mods for posting it here but I thought everyone would see it here,Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120872864639...84.m1555.l2649
Old 8th March 2012, 06:50 AM   #5536
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I prefer BNC as well, the others might be optional. I also support the idea of having the PCB on its own.

Brgds
Old 8th March 2012, 07:11 AM   #5537
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
vicol-audio.ro
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tvicol Send a message via Skype™ to tvicol
The board we are currently designing will have digital output only trough a small PCB connector.
Is up to end user which connector will use.

The reclocking board who will support all possible connectors and interfaces: BNC, XLR, RCA, TOSLINK, AT&T ST glass is part of this project, but well design this later.
A lot of investigation need to be done on the reclocking circuit, AES/EBU trafo, Toslink and especially on AT&T ST glass.
Some extensive tests and measurements need to be done as well.
Therefore this board will come later to complete this project.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi
Old 8th March 2012, 09:35 AM   #5538
diyAudio Member

Default Just got a BNIB EZ51

I managed to find a BNIB RC-EZ51H for
Old 8th March 2012, 04:44 PM   #5539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
The board we are currently designing will have digital output only trough a small PCB connector.
Is up to end user which connector will use.

The reclocking board who will support all possible connectors and interfaces: BNC, XLR, RCA, TOSLINK, AT&T ST glass is part of this project, but well design this later.
A lot of investigation need to be done on the reclocking circuit, AES/EBU trafo, Toslink and especially on AT&T ST glass.
Some extensive tests and measurements need to be done as well.
Therefore this board will come later to complete this project.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi

Thank you Tibi. That's good enough for me. Can you tell us what the PCB layout and spacing is for the board mounted connector?
Old 8th March 2012, 06:50 PM   #5540
jazz35 is offline jazz35  Romania
diyAudio Member

@tonyptony
I'll use a 2mm pin spacing header
jazz

Hide this!Advertise here!