Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 513 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2011, 03:42 PM   #5121
diyAudio Member

For both Vishays and Caddock, I suggest Michael Percy (percyaudio.com) - he has the full range of Vishay values available, and stocks all flavours of Caddocks as well. Ordering is a bit awkward (you have to send him an email listing the parts you want, and wait for reply which can be a few days), but his prices are very good on most items and he accepts PayPal.

If you only want two resistors, this might be a bit expensive though because of postage etc... Check with Michael first - if it's too expensive, let me know and I will send you mine (if you don't mind second-hand). I have recently moved entirely to hand-made resistors, which are in every way superior - and have no intention of going back to commercial stuff, so I don't need them any more.
Old 20th November 2011, 04:24 PM   #5122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
For both Vishays and Caddock, I suggest Michael Percy (percyaudio.com) - he has the full range of Vishay values available, and stocks all flavours of Caddocks as well. Ordering is a bit awkward (you have to send him an email listing the parts you want, and wait for reply which can be a few days), but his prices are very good on most items and he accepts PayPal.

If you only want two resistors, this might be a bit expensive though because of postage etc... Check with Michael first - if it's too expensive, let me know and I will send you mine (if you don't mind second-hand). I have recently moved entirely to hand-made resistors, which are in every way superior - and have no intention of going back to commercial stuff, so I don't need them any more.
Problem is I only need 1set. I actually don't mind secondhand. But thank you for link this shop is amazing..I think I wrote to you in the shorter version of the shigaclone. If you tried the Duelund Alexander cap in c906. I have one o,1uf but haven't used it yet. I have read all your test but ended with silmic ii in c916 did not try Elna stargete because I could not locate a reseller, but silmic was in my setup prefered over oscon..I guess I found it to light/hard in sound but with good resolution. I think this changing caps is quite a part of the shigaclone fun
Old 20th November 2011, 10:54 PM   #5123
diyAudio Member

It is fun indeed - or at least it used to be, until I heard a setup based entirely on wood-modded Black Gates Since then, I kind of gave up searching, because I don't believe I will find anything better - not within the next ten years anyway... I still do a bit of cap listening every now and then, "pro publico bono" so I can help those who cannot afford Black Gates (Black Gates can still be bought, only their prices are extra-orbital).

Regarding your cap comments - I also initially liked Silmic. It has a pleasant, smooth signature. But on more critical listening, especially rich, well-recorded classical music, I found that its weakness is not just resolution. It's actually poor response to micro-transients in general. This affects the reproduction of attack phase (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre#Envelope) and ultimately leads to a sound that is smooth, but never really true to life...

Os-Con in C916 does not "flatter" the sound, but I do think its tonality is largely correct. It is much more likeable when used with Starget in the PSU - Starget warms up the overall presentation, making it more "natural" and less "neutral".

If you find Os-Con thin and hard sounding, then I do think you would like the combination of Starget + Os-Con in the PSU, in conjunction with another Starget in C916. You can buy Stargets on eBay, or from me - send me a PM if you are interested.

Regarding Duelund caps - I was actually entertaining the thought of buying one 0.01uF Alexander cap for comparison in C906... Expensive, but it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my hand-made VNM Cap. Another cap I was considering was Jupiter HT Beeswax. Similar price to the Alexander, but I don't really want to buy both... anyone wants to lend me one for testing? :P
Old 21st November 2011, 07:35 AM   #5124
diyAudio Member

Default Spdif Output

Attached is the output from my Shigaclone
Any faults with the waves?
How can the quality be improved?

0.5v/Div
0.1us/Div

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050826.jpg (405.2 KB, 442 views)
Old 21st November 2011, 02:29 PM   #5125
diyAudio Member

hi,
out of interest, could you please tell me if you have made any mods to the board.
Old 21st November 2011, 06:05 PM   #5126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
It is fun indeed - or at least it used to be, until I heard a setup based entirely on wood-modded Black Gates Since then, I kind of gave up searching, because I don't believe I will find anything better - not within the next ten years anyway... I still do a bit of cap listening every now and then, "pro publico bono" so I can help those who cannot afford Black Gates (Black Gates can still be bought, only their prices are extra-orbital).

Regarding your cap comments - I also initially liked Silmic. It has a pleasant, smooth signature. But on more critical listening, especially rich, well-recorded classical music, I found that its weakness is not just resolution. It's actually poor response to micro-transients in general. This affects the reproduction of attack phase (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre#Envelope) and ultimately leads to a sound that is smooth, but never really true to life...

Os-Con in C916 does not "flatter" the sound, but I do think its tonality is largely correct. It is much more likeable when used with Starget in the PSU - Starget warms up the overall presentation, making it more "natural" and less "neutral".

If you find Os-Con thin and hard sounding, then I do think you would like the combination of Starget + Os-Con in the PSU, in conjunction with another Starget in C916. You can buy Stargets on eBay, or from me - send me a PM if you are interested.

Regarding Duelund caps - I was actually entertaining the thought of buying one 0.01uF Alexander cap for comparison in C906... Expensive, but it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my hand-made VNM Cap. Another cap I was considering was Jupiter HT Beeswax. Similar price to the Alexander, but I don't really want to buy both... anyone wants to lend me one for testing? :P
Hi changed some things. I did some of the okapi stuff and as Peter changed c908 into a Wima and c939 and c929 into oscons, and changed the c916 to nichicon fg 49/10. Psu still nichicon FG 2200 and cerafine 1000uf (this will be changed to oscon). C906 still csr tftf 0.047uf. Shinkohs still in place. I must say this config improved it. I can't compare with black gates and kinda gave up finding them. I think next improvement will be some changes on my dac. Would still love to have the 300r naked vishay. Found the caddock in dk.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:11 AM   #5127
Tham is offline Tham  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
Look better, pins 6/22/62 are feed from pin 11/IC903 (regulator +5VDC output), so all supply for IC902 is +5VDC. So for start you can carefully lift pins 6/22/62 from pcb, connect them together in one single point, and inject +5VDC from regulator of your choice. But, remember two things:

1) you should prevent IC902 from latch-up, meaning IC902 should not be powered up before IC901 wich send digital signals to IC902...you see, first supply signal then power up, that's how you prevent from latch-up. Find post from ilimzn at digital section about latch-up, and all will become clear how to deal with it.
Hi,

I am thinking of giving this a try but am unsure of the "latch-up" arrangement. I will use the std 7808 supply and a separate +5V for the pins indicated. Do I need to power up the +5V section (with a separate switch) after the +8V?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:48 PM   #5128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j baldam View Post
hi,
out of interest, could you please tell me if you have made any mods to the board.
No mods done
What's your interpretation of the waves
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:55 PM   #5129
diyAudio Member

Hi sorry not an expert but others who are now know that it is a standard player.
I for one would be interested in comparing before and after mods.
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:36 PM   #5130
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tham View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of giving this a try but am unsure of the "latch-up" arrangement. I will use the std 7808 supply and a separate +5V for the pins indicated. Do I need to power up the +5V section (with a separate switch) after the +8V?

Any help will be appreciated.
Attached pic shows how to connect separate 5 V supply; no "latch-up" arrangements are needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track5v.jpg (98.9 KB, 374 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 22nd November 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!