Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 509 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2011, 08:08 PM   #5081
diyAudio Member

ahhh I see,
If it's ok without I'll see how bright it is and drop a resistor in if it's blinding

cheers
Old 27th October 2011, 08:09 PM   #5082
takili is offline takili  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

With the EZ51 the display board is shorter than that for the EZ31 so never needed to be shortened for easier mounting. The pot as far as I can remember, (like you I may have read somewhere but there was a lot of reading was just so that the LED brightness could be reduced if wanted. led's generally operate off 5V so as long as the LED gets it's 5V, +ve to +ve all will be well. The original mod file in pdf format showed a connection to the power supply... which probably simply used a small resistor to drop 8V to 5V.
Trevor L
Ah woops ya beat me to it
Old 27th October 2011, 08:14 PM   #5083
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have the 51 one and haven't shortened mine. I believe if I remember correctly that 680R was the recommended value - but do as you like on this one but remember that it draws unnessesary current from the main board if you go for full brightness...
Old 27th October 2011, 08:18 PM   #5084
diyAudio Member

cheers trevor,
feel a bit more confident about it now, don't like unexpected wires about the place.
Funny thing happened when I opened up the EZ51, I was looking at a metal chassis inside and for 5 minutes I thought I'd bought the wrong one, the chassis was so different.
Turns out I was studying the cassette chassis, don't you just feel like a fool
Old 30th October 2011, 11:47 PM   #5085
jugi63 is offline jugi63  Finland
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Transport tweaking...

Made the transport and have more or less been tweaking/voicing it for over year. Here are my findings (so far, things may change ). Hope it helps someone.

The CD Transport

Last edited by jugi63; 30th October 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:39 AM   #5086
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugi63 View Post
Made the transport and have more or less been tweaking/voicing it for over year. Here are my findings (so far, things may change ). Hope it helps someone.

The CD Transport
Kiitos kaveri!

Yes, thanks. I have just started my shigaclone journey and welcome your input.
To begin with I'm still try to figure out what DAC to use so meanwhile I will use the analog output from the thing... Of course I will move to digital out later on.
Old 6th November 2011, 06:42 PM   #5087
diyAudio Member

Dear Peter.
When indtaling v-cap or an audio note, Jensen, duelund. Do I still mount in the + and ground? It looks like you only have one leg in ground, what about the + . Could you show a photo from the other side. Best Kris
Old 11th November 2011, 11:31 AM   #5088
diyAudio Member

Hi, listened to the as yet naked Shig again last night and I swear it's getting better especially female vocal.
Anyway as other makes have said the motor is quite noisy and it has a definite metal to metal ring to it.
Does anyone think that it may quieten down if a rubber spacer was inserted under the two mounting screws to isolate the outer casing from the metal chassis.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:30 PM   #5089
diyAudio Member

Hello all.
im hoping someone can help- i was given a part finished shigaclone by one of my customers early this year and im just now looking at it and trying to get my head around it.
it has a 24v transformer and a PS which appears to be deisgned following the schematic on this thread- The CD Transport with the exception of the regulator being LM317. they are housed in a wooden cigar box, and i did find out through some googling that this may mean the original maker possibly wasnt competent!

the PS does work and gives up to 24v output by adjusting the trimmer, however with the votage set correctly and connected to the transport the display just flashes "00" once and nothing else happens.
checking the voltage shows that it drops down around 2-3v with the load, even setting the PS output to 18v only gives 4v under load. the transformer outputs read 24v ac regardless.

the transport its self has also been modified as shown in the above thread, but in addition to the 5 components being removed also has c942 removed, as well as 2 cmt components which are next to it.

if anyone has any ideas id appreciate it.
Many thanks,
Russ.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:40 PM   #5090
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakselbo View Post
Dear Peter.
When indtaling v-cap or an audio note, Jensen, duelund. Do I still mount in the + and ground? It looks like you only have one leg in ground, what about the + . Could you show a photo from the other side. Best Kris
If you are referring to this picture: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story I connected one lead to ground, the other lead underneath the board to closest trace, which was more convenient than placing both cap ends into original (electrolytic) footprint.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!