Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 507 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2011, 10:25 PM   #5061
takili is offline takili  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Dreaming is half the fun in my book and I do think there is a lot of mileage in finding what you like and sticking with it.
With pictures, when you get the reply box at the bottom, You can go advanced. you will find further down that page an additional box that gives "additional Options". One of these is "Attach files" with the title "Manage Attachments" and gives a series of boxes to allow images to be entered. One box per image. It allows you to search your computer for your image much like you can for emails. Hope that helps?
Regards
Trevor L

Last edited by takili; 15th October 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 15th October 2011, 11:20 PM   #5062
diyAudio Member

The JVC boxes are extremely hard to find. Can anyone suggest an available alternative???
Old 16th October 2011, 12:57 AM   #5063
diyAudio Member

Ray hi,
All my reading so far of this thread, (currently up to page 240), has indicated that there are two JVC models only that are suitable for the mods presented here. Those models are the RC-EZ31 and RC-EZ51. (I just received my EZ51 from Amazon UK). It is possible to use the EZ-32 but the guys that did so were a bit out on their own. Some replys also mentioned another JVC compact sterio as having similar components but after 240 pages of this I am a bit fuzzy as to where! Other players will use different chips with additional features that make the mods detailed here problematic. The beauty of this boombox apparently is its relative simplicity.
Regards
Trevor L
Old 17th October 2011, 05:17 AM   #5064
diyAudio Member

Why don't anyone try raise a group buy with JVC, buying the transport only? I think even the boom box discon., not means the transport also discon., even yes, JVC should have keep stock as repair spare parts, they willing to sell or not should be depends on quantity.
Old 17th October 2011, 08:08 AM   #5065
diyAudio Member

Not so much the transport itself even, just the PCB that sits under it. The transport is available separately. In the UK Ebay has them, (it's actually a Sanyo drive), just do a search on SF-P101N and a load come up, cost about 8. If anyone can come up with the board or a direct equivalent, you're in business. The display is basic and only really consists of a wiring job to the display itself and the remote sensor.
Old 17th October 2011, 08:13 AM   #5066
diyAudio Member

has anyone replaced original oscilator part with better one say Tent XO or other
any improvements ?
Old 17th October 2011, 09:06 AM   #5067
diyAudio Member

Trichord no 4 was done as was Kwak Clock and one DIY off ebay and others. This guy "Erik van Voorst" did an amazing build with top class components, (cost like 3000 Euro's or more in the end). The crystal alone was replaced with Citizen 300-8441 oscillator with mixed results, some returned to original, some loved it. Best upgrades seem to have been the PSU, the circuit Mods as per the .pdf, and the originally suggested mounting configuration with sollid mounting on metal and a heavy wood base. The Peter Daniels NOS DAC has also resulted in a noticeable benefit, others also.
Try some searches on this thread and you will come up with alternatives others have tried. Not all made an improvement...
Old 17th October 2011, 08:19 PM   #5068
diyAudio Member

I have come across a very interesting substitute. It is a Lenoxx Sound CD-101.

The chip set is:

LA9250
LC78602y
LA6541

Also, it already doesn't have the choke and filter cap. It operates on eight volts and is whisper quiet. I think I will give it a listen as is tonight to see what it sounds like. I have two of these and they are the same model number and have different transports inside. One has a Sony chip set and then the other has this chip set. Any thoughts on this from those who know much more about such things?
Old 26th October 2011, 10:08 PM   #5069
Nomdi is offline Nomdi  France
diyAudio Member

Default CHEAP BUT EFFICIENT CLOCK UPGRADE

@all

Hello,

Sorry if this mod has ever been mentioned by someone else but this thread is long
I am not sure I remember everything...

I've been very disappointed trying to replace the stock ceramic oscillator with a super clock or even a simple cristal...

In theory a cristal is much better than a costless ceramic oscillator...
But a oscillator has 3 pin and a crystal only 2.
I measured the integrated capacitors between the central point of the oscillator and with the 2 output legs : exactly 39 pF.
If you look at the pcb there are 2 unused places for SMD capacitors close to the oscillator...
I was not able to find quality SMD 39pF capacitor so I ordered 2 regular Silver Mica (5%).
I soldered and extra wire on the top of the new cristal (regular low profile with metal case) and replaced the stock one.

I soldered the silver mica capacitors on the solder side.
To me the result is much much better than with the regular oscillator !

Thats just my two cents... please experiment.

Cheers !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shiga pcb cristal upgrape.jpg (12.4 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg shigaclone quartz mode.jpg (32.5 KB, 472 views)

Last edited by Nomdi; 26th October 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:50 PM   #5070
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdi View Post
I soldered and extra wire on the top of the new cristal
what exactly do you mean by "new wire on the top of the new cristal"?

Hide this!Advertise here!