Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 505 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2011, 05:44 AM   #5041
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
Assuming your wiring IS correct, I think you have a bad NE5534...it should work (as datasheet says) as buffer (unity gain stable) at 5VDC supply min.
You should try another opamp specified for 5V supply, unity gain stable, high speed, low noise.
I switched out my 1a 9v transformer to a 2a 12v and now Im getting 2.34v at NE5534 output.
Old 4th September 2011, 10:14 AM   #5042
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
You are right on for the 5V, Thanks! I have the Salas SSR1.1 reg and a super reg Positive half (see attachment below), which one you think will be more suitable to supply the IC902?
I would definitely use Salas SSR1.1, as it's a non global feedback super-shunt regulator, ideal for your application. You will have to set it for 5VDC output voltage and M-fet CCS in front voltage reference element + shunt element (be it BJT or M-fet variant) for 35mA/IC902 + 35mA shunt element + some for the rest of circuit (of hand I will guess ~15mA, but you will have to read the manual) = 85mA total
Old 4th September 2011, 10:27 AM   #5043
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoopoo999 View Post
I switched out my 1a 9v transformer to a 2a 12v and now Im getting 2.34v at NE5534 output.
Something is fishy in your setup...both transformer are adequate for your circuit...9VAC*1.41 - cca.1V voltage drop over diode bridge gives you ~11V7 before voltage regulator which needs >=2V5 for proper operation and you have 6V7 which is more than enough...the rest of voltage (6V7-2V5=4V2) x current consumtion will be wast as heat over voltage regulator.
Old 4th September 2011, 04:34 PM   #5044
diyAudio Member

Vincent,
A mistake occured somewhere in your intial implementation. The initial transformer was fine for the VREF you were trying to obtain.
9v*1.414 minus the voltage drops on the rectifiying diodes should have provided more than enough voltage to feed the 2.5V reg.
Old 5th September 2011, 03:13 AM   #5045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.H View Post
Vincent,
A mistake occured somewhere in your intial implementation. The initial transformer was fine for the VREF you were trying to obtain.
9v*1.414 minus the voltage drops on the rectifiying diodes should have provided more than enough voltage to feed the 2.5V reg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
Something is fishy in your setup...both transformer are adequate for your circuit...9VAC*1.41 - cca.1V voltage drop over diode bridge gives you ~11V7 before voltage regulator which needs >=2V5 for proper operation and you have 6V7 which is more than enough...the rest of voltage (6V7-2V5=4V2) x current consumtion will be wast as heat over voltage regulator.
I think so too, the 9V transformer I used a bridged rectifier but for the 12v I used two 1N4004 diodes. Not sure what I did wrong because I build power supplies with bridge rectifiers all the time.
Old 5th September 2011, 05:19 AM   #5046
diyAudio Member

I always measure the Vin and Vout of the power supply I'm building. Even in the last implementation of the JohnW reg, I had mistakenly connected the Vout of the reg to the output of the opamp. Fortunatley, it was at 2.5V.

Mistakes happen!
Old 6th September 2011, 03:25 AM   #5047
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

I was looking around online today and found the Burson clocks and regulators. Has anyone tried either of these with the clone? For the price they both have me interested in trying them. I would just like to know if it is worth it or not.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:39 PM   #5048
Nomdi is offline Nomdi  France
diyAudio Member

Hi all !
I m very excited with this project but
I cannot find a " donor" to start...
I ve just seen that amazon.uk has
RC-EZ51 in stock but, unfortunately,
they do not ship to FRANCE :-((
Can someone from UK be kind, order it
and send it to me adding shipping costs
of course. In can pay him very fast with
Paypal.
Thanks a lot !!
Old 14th October 2011, 04:44 PM   #5049
takili is offline takili  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Back onboard

After many years away from the DIY HIFI scene I recently came across this site. Starting with the Playstation PS1 threads. All fired up I found an early PS1, bought that for a song then discovered the Shigaclone thread started by Peter Daniels and proceeded to order an EC51H from Amazon for 40, (as new, used). Well why hang around? So currently I have two potential CD players sitting on my floor. Initial listening tests through a very lo FI set up gave me a preference for the JVC before any mods and I liked the fact that there is no "Sony" tunes on start up... Shigaclone it is then.
Old 14th October 2011, 04:50 PM   #5050
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takili View Post
After many years away from the DIY HIFI scene I recently came across this site. Starting with the Playstation PS1 threads. All fired up I found an early PS1, bought that for a song then discovered the Shigaclone thread started by Peter Daniels and proceeded to order an EC51H from Amazon for 40, (as new, used). Well why hang around? So currently I have two potential CD players sitting on my floor. Initial listening tests through a very lo FI set up gave me a preference for the JVC before any mods and I liked the fact that there is no "Sony" tunes on start up... Shigaclone it is then.
How did you connect the PS1? A/V or RCA?

Brgds

Hide this!Advertise here!