Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2011, 09:34 PM   #5001
diyAudio Member

47 labs must have a source of chips like these - any hope of being able to reverse engineer from a shigaraki or flatfish?

Fran
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:52 PM   #5002
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I bought an older boombox, a Matsui CD33, at a charity sales since I sort of recogniced the transport from my SG project. Yes, it has a sanyo transport and the chips are quite the same but they are all on the main board :-(

The main difference to the JVC is that it has no clamp but the 3 balls.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:43 PM   #5003
diyAudio Member

Hi Woodturner-fran
You keep stick on a chip set. I believe it is basicly the power-
supply what matters. If you watch around on several audio forums,every good sounding diy project have a good power supply. And much more things influence the sound. And why going it wrong with the jvc?, the service manual is not correct.
So I think it is not nescessary to stay on a boombox, every lowcost cd player is a possibility.. And first, a correct sevice manual is mandatory., second, prefer a device which parts are easely available. And here we need the aid of people who working in the audio electronics, they can named a few candidates.
If I wrong with this statement,please correct me.
regards
zjaakco
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:14 PM   #5004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjaakco View Post
Hi Woodturner-fran
You keep stick on a chip set. I believe it is basicly the power-
supply what matters. If you watch around on several audio forums,every good sounding diy project have a good power supply. And much more things influence the sound. And why going it wrong with the jvc?, the service manual is not correct.
So I think it is not nescessary to stay on a boombox, every lowcost cd player is a possibility.. And first, a correct sevice manual is mandatory., second, prefer a device which parts are easely available. And here we need the aid of people who working in the audio electronics, they can named a few candidates.
If I wrong with this statement,please correct me.
regards
zjaakco
No, you are 100% correct - I agree with all of that. Power supply is a huge contributor to good sounding audio - everywhere, but especially with digital stuff.

The question though, is what player etc etc!! We are all waiting and watching!
Old 25th August 2011, 03:56 PM   #5005
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had my clone running for a while now on a quickly thrown together power supply. I know this is limiting the the best sound as it sits. I have looked for a source for the ALWSR and have found nothing but the pdf about it. Does anyone make boards or sell the completed regulator? Is there another regulator that would be comparable? I keep seeing things about the Bobken regulators and have found many posts about them but I cannot seem to find one that actually shows one. I don't have a problem building it myself I just need something to go on. Can anyone help me out.

Also, I see that there are three voltages on this board. Would it be best to use three separate regulators to get the best performance?
Old 25th August 2011, 04:12 PM   #5006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
I've had my clone running for a while now on a quickly thrown together power supply. I know this is limiting the the best sound as it sits. I have looked for a source for the ALWSR and have found nothing but the pdf about it. Does anyone make boards or sell the completed regulator? Is there another regulator that would be comparable? I keep seeing things about the Bobken regulators and have found many posts about them but I cannot seem to find one that actually shows one. I don't have a problem building it myself I just need something to go on. Can anyone help me out.

Also, I see that there are three voltages on this board. Would it be best to use three separate regulators to get the best performance?
lots of info on salas shunt and bobken regs on diyaudio, just do a search. Bobken may be hard to build since the bsp129 is out of stock everywhere.
Im using Peter Daniels 8v reg with uncle leons suggested Elna Starget/Oscon caps and a Salas 5v reg.
Old 26th August 2011, 01:06 AM   #5007
diyAudio Member

@apoopoo999 - What do you think about that capacitor combination? I obviously know it sounds good to my ears, but I'm curious how other people find it. Are you also using OsCon for C916?

You can buy BSP129 from this eBay seller. Here is a link to the auction. It's decently priced, too.

@c12mech - I have a similar problem... I would really appreciate if someone posted some sort of guide on how to make a Bobken reg (with pictures).
Old 26th August 2011, 02:10 AM   #5008
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I posted the info how to implement Bobken regulator in a transport here: Company Store

More info on those regulators can be found also here: Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

This is a relatively simple circuit that can be built on a proto-board.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 28th August 2011, 04:18 PM   #5009
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter, I read the DAC thread (many times ), but would you be able to post a picture of an actual regulator? That would really help me a lot.
I couldn't find any related info on the Company Store website...
Old 28th August 2011, 04:27 PM   #5010
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The "Company Store" was a misprint, the actual link should be this: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I don't have any regulator handy at the moment to provide better pictures.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!