Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 478 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2011, 09:22 PM   #4771
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Would those be Stargate, in pics here: The ultimate TDA1543 DAC layout??
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 5th May 2011, 09:54 PM   #4772
diyAudio Member

No, they are from the lab world, so bnc only. Fwiw, its worth changing over to bnc for it. Buy a couple of different values..... and use them instead of the resistors.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:03 PM   #4773
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Peter, did you ever try the RF attenuators or a DIY one on the Shiga?
Old 5th May 2011, 10:18 PM   #4774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Would those be Stargate, in pics here: The ultimate TDA1543 DAC layout??
Yes, they appear to be the same, although labels are not visible on the picture you linked so I can't be sure. Have a look:

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
No, they are from the lab world, so bnc only. Fwiw, its worth changing over to bnc for it. Buy a couple of different values..... and use them instead of the resistors.
Easy for you to say... I have a very good digital RCA cable ("the" Belkin Synapse) and I really want to keep it...

Last edited by uncle_leon; 5th May 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:30 PM   #4775
diyAudio Member

Fair enough I suppose.....
Old 5th May 2011, 10:39 PM   #4776
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
Easy for you to say... I have a very good digital RCA cable ("the" Belkin Synapse) and I really want to keep it...
Good cable uncle & the price for female RCA is awesome

Canare 75Ω BNC & RCA: True 75Ω panel mount female BNC & RCA connectors, to replace the non-75Ω RCA jacks or 50Ω BNC's usually found on digital & video equipment, chassis isolated, available in an R1 style direct chassis mount or RU style bulkhead mount. BNC's have gold plated center pin, RCA's are all gold plate. And, yes, the 75Ω Canare RCA does sound audibly better on digital components than the much more expensive WBT/Cardas/etc. RCA male or female!
Old 6th May 2011, 02:31 PM   #4777
diyAudio Member

Little known fact: C916 is not strictly necessary for Shigaclone operation. I discovered this by accident when I forgot to power off while swapping capacitors in the socket. The player continued to work with no apparent ill effects.

Rather surprisingly, the sound was not too bad, and indeed had something very correct about it. Black Gate N used to sound perfectly natural to me, but in comparison with no cap they do seem to ever-so-slightly overstate certain nuances (like the shouty character of a trumpet). Unfortunately, the bass performance was a bit weak with no cap, and the sound was not as clean as with BG N in place.

An interesting experiment, and cheap to try

Last edited by uncle_leon; 6th May 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 6th May 2011, 03:41 PM   #4778
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

"The best Cap is no Cap" seems to be said a lot sometimes.

It would be nice if at least some of the caps that are recommended were at semi available.

I listened to a little music straight out of the boombox before I ripped it apart. It actually sounded pretty good for what it is compared to others that I have heard. I can't wait to put it together and here it on its own.

I got my box taken apart last night and put it back together sans transport and display board. I tried a little experiment and with an LOD out of my ipod into the connector left in the box it makes for a pretty good player. As soon as i have a chance to hard wire everything together it will go to work and sit on my toolbox and really throw people off since the ipod will sit where the cd should.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:01 PM   #4779
diyAudio Member

Default Little help here with my Shigaraki transport,, please

It suddenly stopped working.

Symptoms:

The disc when first placed starts to rotate, but counterclockwise, and never recognizes the tracks.

When it stops, it displays 99 99 00 and does not recognize the TOC command nor any other.

Checked the Power supply it is Ok. Disconnected and connected the ribbon connectors, etc.. they seem ok

Do you think it might be the laser assembly or the electronics in the board?

Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 09:16 PM   #4780
diyAudio Member

just a guess check the ribbon that goes to the front display board,check connection,try a different cd,power on and off ,check wires ect. probably something simple,tick the door cd switch,
Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!