Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 473 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2011, 03:48 PM   #4721
c12mech is offline c12mech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
Will do.....and if you ever tire of your JVC Boombox, keep me in mind....!

(Got to ask--do you maintain the C-12 Huron? I'm a retired AF Colonel, who has some cockpit experience with that airframe.....)
That is correct sir. I work on the Navy birds here in GTMO. We have the only planes stationed here permanently. Some days I wonder about my choice of profession but for the most part it is an easy plane to maintain. The only Air Force planes I know of now are either embassy or testbed platforms. I know quite few of the guys who maintain them all. It is a rather small community of people who deal with these planes.

Back on topic, if by some chance things don't go as planned for the JVC you will be the first person I contact. I've seen them pop up from time to time in different places so don't give up hope.
Old 26th April 2011, 05:40 PM   #4722
diyAudio Member

Maybe a bit sickening but I tuned the display with resistors just until I got the best matching colour with the cocobolo....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th April 2011, 06:56 PM   #4723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c12mech View Post
That is correct sir. I work on the Navy birds here in GTMO. The only Air Force planes I know of now are either embassy or testbed platforms.
Considering you're in GTMO, you DESERVE the boombox more than I do! Enjoy it, and the mods.....

As for the C-12, we had two outfitted with "special sensors" for data collection. I doubt if you'd recognize the tail numbers (we used to change them--and repaint the planes--often)....

P.S. my "operative term" is RETIRED, these days. I go my Ken. I'll keep an eye out for you in the Forums.....
Old 26th April 2011, 06:57 PM   #4724
diyAudio Member

Looks nice Erik.....
Old 26th April 2011, 07:11 PM   #4725
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Looks nice Erik.....
Thanks Fran,

The idea is to give it a "2-box-operation" look but practically on one board.
The player part will be ebony and copper with a Slim-Look.

All in all a PiTbull look ....but in the end its younger brother.....since there can only be one (to quote Highlander)

Now I know why it is useless to build these things for a living....too many hours when you are passionate....even if it outperforms a lot of high-end transports....

Last edited by Erik van Voorst; 26th April 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add
Old 26th April 2011, 08:24 PM   #4726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post

As for the C-12, we had two outfitted with "special sensors" for data collection. I doubt if you'd recognize the tail numbers (we used to change them--and repaint the planes--often)....

P.S. my "operative term" is RETIRED, these days. I go my Ken. I'll keep an eye out for you in the Forums.....
As far as I know, those planes do not exist. My boss has seen all the Navy and AF C-12's out there. He used to be in the rep at the facility that did all the 5 year depot level inspection work. There are some interesting configurations scattered around.

GTMO is not as bad as people make it out to be. I've been here a little over 2 years and will sign another 3 year contract a the end of this year. It's all in what you make it.

I'll be sure to post pics of all my mods on here about this project. I can't wait to get started.
Old 27th April 2011, 02:38 AM   #4727
diyAudio Member

Sorry, this will hopefully be my last question on connecting the shiga to the dac.
If I buy a 75 ohm RG-59U cable terminated with BNC connectors, cut in half solder 1/2 to the inputs of the dac
solder other 1/2 to the resistor network (and grnd) of the shiga
Then I have to use a female to female connector to connect the two BNC's
male ends.
Is there a better way or is this it?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 27th April 2011, 07:53 PM   #4728
diyAudio Member

Yes that work fine. You could also fit a bnc socket to both the shiga and dac and then not have to cut the cable. You can buy bnc terminations and there's loads of videos on youtube on how to do it. That way you would only need some 75r coax.
Old 29th April 2011, 01:15 AM   #4729
diyAudio Member

Hopefully next week sometime I will have an ez-31 in hand. It should leave Canada today or tomorrow headed for Florida for pick up next week.

Can someone point me in the direction to the post about the dimensions for the screw on clamp? I remember seeing it but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for. I have a lathe and the ability to turn my own just need the dimensions. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2011, 01:28 AM   #4730
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
You will find it here: robimy shigaraki transport / CD Flatfish - Audiostereo.pl - strona 52
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!