Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 452 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2011, 08:18 PM   #4511
woood09 is offline woood09  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default separate regs

Hello Dr. H, thanks for your reaction. imo, Slawney suggested that he use separate regs, and his transport works properly. Thus he solved the problem with different regs.

Hello Hotiron, To switch the doorswitch was not working, It seems that the transport was "pissed", it stil didnt work. When return to a single power supply, everything was ok.

Stil I like to know, is it possible to use different regs?
Why? It will increase the sound.
Slawney?
Regards,
Woood09
Old 23rd March 2011, 08:35 PM   #4512
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, it is possible ti use separate regulators and if you connect them as in a picture here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...ry-track5v.jpg everything should work fine.

I also recall that at one time my CD was spinning out of control after powering the transport, resetting TOC brought things to normal.

I keep it on permanently and don't experience any anomalies.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:11 PM   #4513
hotiron is offline hotiron  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It makes lots of sense to feed the driver and digital chips with separate regs
as the motor drivers inject loads of noise back towards the DSPs.
The only way this baby can latch up, is if there is no clock present.
eg: 8v supply to driver chip (supplying 4 motors,Focus,Tracking,Spindle and Sled) And 5V supplying the digital side.
The driver chip as most of you know, has an on chip 5V reg which supplies the whole board. YUK!
Old 24th March 2011, 05:19 AM   #4514
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I am using a separate 8V supply and 5V supply (ALW reg) connected as suggested by Peter's recent pic
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...ry-track5v.jpg

Sounds cleaner than simply using just the 8V supply.

I guess the question remains as to whether there is a sonic benefit in splitting the 5V supply even further and giving each DSP chip that needs 5V a seperate 5V reg. Possibly the benefit will be minimal.

I'd also be very interetsed in the VREF pin on the driver chip. Is that a high impedance node? If it is, there is a JohnW VREF external circuit that could do great magic here!

Capcitor type for Vref
Old 24th March 2011, 07:42 AM   #4515
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Commited
I've only just seen this thread and it looks fantastic! Are the EZ31 & EZ51 the only models that you can use or have more been found?
Old 24th March 2011, 08:28 AM   #4516
diyAudio Member

Nope, they're the only models
Old 24th March 2011, 09:36 PM   #4517
woood09 is offline woood09  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello
Peter Daniel, Hotiron, Dr, H, The picture have I see before. I'am some careful, because I have 2 jvc pcb destroyed, You know,
connect and disconnect, solder and desolder, tracks release from the bord, some can repair with a wire jumper, but not all the mistakes. Still I have some confusion about transistor Q902.
I have read some let him stay, some delete. I believe delete Q902,
because the 5v reg in the driver chip is not a good one. But what to do wiht the reg output if I delete Q902?
regards
Woood09
Old 24th March 2011, 11:38 PM   #4518
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The last few days I have problems with the Shigaclone, only the last numbers no longer play the laser is then outside the cd drive and then stops the cd what can this be?

Regards,
Rudy
Old 24th March 2011, 11:52 PM   #4519
diyAudio Member

Can you check that the CDs are not warped too much? At the outer tracks this will be worst.

Also try some light lubrication on the rails that the laser sled runs on - and check that there is no obstruction to them running smoothly.

Fran
Old 25th March 2011, 04:58 AM   #4520
diyAudio Member

hi BMW850,
First do make sure that disk will work in another machine,Hold it up to the light, if you can see any scratches on it ,get a black magic marker and cover them on the label side,
then here's a starting place Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives
good luck !

Hide this!Advertise here!