Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 431 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2011, 11:36 AM   #4301
diyAudio Member

As promised I started to build PiTbull-Scaled-Down version for a good audiofriend.

This afternoon I will take the contraption to 2 other audiofriends...ohhhh...I am looking forward to the look on their faces when I start the Skeleton up.

at the moment I am listening to it without the 8V ...or is it V8 power supply.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th February 2011, 12:32 PM   #4302
diyAudio Member

Heatsink, anybody?

Old 26th February 2011, 12:39 PM   #4303
diyAudio Member

Love the heatsink!!!!

and the Tx!
Old 26th February 2011, 01:22 PM   #4304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Yes, pretty large difference actually!

My first experiment with this was posted back a page or 2 with just a wooden puck that just pushed on - obviously not good enough. After that made the screw on one, and theres quite a difference. Theres a large jump in resolution - now going back to the stock puck the sounds seems thicker, almost muddy by comparison.

I would say if you had a very "lean" sounding system, then the stock one might be easier to listen to. Each sound is more isolated in its own space - which I suppose is more resolution! It actually took a couple of comparisons to get a handle on what I was hearing. The other thing thats interesting, is that where a recording is sibilant (eg a nina simone or some ella fitzgerald/louis armstrong) that sibilance is not as bad - its still there but maybe sounds more natural.

So its well worth while doing if you can. And I could be corrected here yet, but I would think that a smaller puck will work just as well as a heavier one, so maybe try one that matched the drawing that Erik has first.

Maybe Erik you would link or post that drawing again?

Oh yeah - another thing. If you are going to do one in wood, make sure the grain is very even. I made one last night and there was a grain pattern in it - when I ran it on my spare mech there was a lot of vibration - becuase of the different densities in the wood. Thats one of the reasons why smaller might well be better.

Fran
Hi Fran,

You will not believe this but just a second ago while browsing thru my incredible amount of spares (looking for my friend)........I found your puck !!!!!!

I do not know how it got there but I must have ruined your first one and by throwing that away I mixed things up and forgot all about your second one.......

HAPPY CAMPER
Old 26th February 2011, 02:45 PM   #4305
diyAudio Member

Its a day for coincidences - like you, today I am working on my next shigaclone! This will be a simpler one, basically the same as Peters "the CD transport".

It will be interesting to compare with my more modded one.....

Fran
Old 26th February 2011, 10:43 PM   #4306
diyAudio Member

@woodturner-fran - What modifications you did to your current Shiga?
Old 26th February 2011, 11:58 PM   #4307
diyAudio Member

Ok....

it's sitting on granite which in turn sits on damped springs,
reclocked,
using rf attenuators to knock the ttl signal down,
ero 1837 cap for c906,
ebony screw puck,

that's all I can think of right now! But I did many of the mods through the thread as it progressed.

I have the new one playing now just through headphones and I have one problem. The dac seems to slightly lose lock between tracks, I get a little blip at the start of each new track. I don't remember sseeing this before in previous builds, anyone get this and solve it? The other odd thing is that if you press the toc switch with no cd it searches and instead of the customary 00,this one displays "70". Haven't seen that before either.

Fran
Old 27th February 2011, 01:09 AM   #4308
diyAudio Member

I also tried ERO 1837 in c906 but it sounded clearly worse than the original electrolyte...

Where did you get the ebony puck and how much it cost you? I would love to have a puck made of wood - simply for the looks (regardless of any sonic improvements).
Old 27th February 2011, 11:36 AM   #4309
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

Yesterday I taken apart a new Boombox and is now playing, and this one is not better than my full modification Shigaclone at the moment.
This I have changed look at this PDF file so you know what I talking about: http://tim.cheapo.cc/images/CD%20player%20mods.pdf

R4 and R5 I removed and 2 smd caps 3 and 4
E5 removed and a 2 x 33uF Blackgate N super E-cap there for in place.
No jumper from 5A to 5B the print was intact.

Power supply:
1000uF FK Blackgate LM7808 1000uF FK Blackgate, about the last one I have no more Blackgate STD so I used the BG FK.

Rudy

Last edited by BMW850; 27th February 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:39 PM   #4310
diyAudio Member

Default Incorrect link?

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparatusonitus View Post
This is a very good super-shunt regulator, but you can improve it a bit by spliting 15R resistor in two (like 4R7 for the 1st +10R for the 2nd) in order to make it RCRC filter instead CRC. Also, put lower capacity, lower ESR (in case you use different caps for filtering) closer to diode bridge. You could use, lower noise, constant impedance (thru tens of MHz) 2V5 LED diode or better still 2 x IR diode for opamp voltage reference and BF24x or such J-fet wired as CCS.
Guys - if I click on Peter's original link back to this Bobken reg. circuit it takes me to this page!!

EDIT - sorry guys - just tried it in IE6 rather than my usual Google Chrome and it works fine ........................ bloody Google chrome!!!

Last edited by herewegoagain; 27th February 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!