Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 412 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2010, 01:21 AM   #4111
diyAudio Member

Well, I am using them and have been for a while. Heres my original post (#4088

Quote:
OK, first up, don't shoot me ok? I'm not looking to derail this thread, or spark a believers vs non-believers argument that goes on for pages. I believe that has happened already on this (or the line level forum).

I have had cause recently to use some SPDIF attenuators between my shiga (fully modded, incl Peters reclock from some pages back) and my DAC. I still have the 300/92R on the TTL output to knock it down to consumer levels, but these attenuators are on top of that. What I have heard is a cleaning up of the sound similar to the reclock, but maybe not as large a difference. But for a few quid each, its well worth it I think.

Anyway, I post it here just because I've tried it in my system and like the effects. I would really like if a few more people tried it just to see. Much easier to try this than most of the other mods people have done here and the effect seem to be well worth it.

The attenuators are here:

http://minicircuits.com/pdfs/HAT-6-75.pdf

I use a 6dB one at either end of the SPDIF cable, but experiments of which level to use are to follow. Also removing the 300/92R completely and using these to knock down the TTL signal.
I'm just sharing my experience. FWIW, using these devices to drop from TTL is a far more precise way to do it than the 300/92 set.

Since the post above I removed those resistors and fitted a higher level attenuator. No much difference than having the 6dB one in place. But the difference between using them and not using them is large. Similar to the reclock circuit posted some time back, but maybe not quite as big a difference as that.

Hey - its worth trying out for the small ££ it costs!

Fran
Old 14th September 2010, 01:33 AM   #4112
diyAudio Member

Ah, I misunderstood your post then
Old 16th September 2010, 10:13 PM   #4113
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

A group of us (about 7) at Fran's heard the effect of using an attenuator on the Shigaclone (& Squeezebox) - it was not a subtle improvement - everybody there said "jeez, am I hearing right"?
Old 16th September 2010, 10:38 PM   #4114
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
FWIW, using these devices to drop from TTL is a far more precise way to do it than the 300/92 set.
Aren't those just resistors in a special package?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg att.jpg (17.0 KB, 697 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th September 2010, 10:52 PM   #4115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Aren't those just resistors in a special package?
Exactly! As a purist point of view, why should one add a resistor to ground in the signal path and also an additional connector?
Old 16th September 2010, 10:52 PM   #4116
Banned

If I can answer on Fran's behalf as I introduced them to him? Yes, Peter, they are BUT I guess they are precision resistors in a precision BNC case - 75ohm.
They certainly improve the sound of the Shigaclone even though there already is a T-Pad in there!

For Leopalour - the reason for using T-pads is to knock down the output voltage to within SPDIF. One side effect of doing this is that any reflections get knocked down by twice this attenuation which helps with a better signal. ( I won't use the word jitter reduction here to avoid controversy).

But again all I can say is that 7 people at Fran's were amazed by the effect these devices had on the sound

Last edited by jkeny; 16th September 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:57 PM   #4117
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
And what digital IC are you guys using?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th September 2010, 11:00 PM   #4118
diyAudio Member

I just read jkeny's post and yours Peter.

The truth is, I don't know what's in there. Logic says there must be some resistors, but they could be filled with rocking horse sh!t for all I know. But I can tell you they make quite a difference. And Peter, as you and others who have been along this shiga road will know, the shiga is already a fine, fine sounding unit. This moves it up another notch.

And for not that much more than the price of the rikens (which you can dispense with and use the attenuators to knock the signal down from ttl).

Peter, I'm using them with a squeezebox into your NOS DAC and its really really nice. You should try 'em.....

Fran

EDIT: home made cable using 75R coax with BNC terminations and the other is 75R coax with RCA terminations and a BNC adaptor.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:02 PM   #4119
Banned

Peter is correct, they are a T-pad according to the datasheet but again it might be the precision of the devices that counts?
Old 16th September 2010, 11:05 PM   #4120
diyAudio Member

Something else I want to add.

These things are the subject of some controversy elsewhere, with circulating arguments etc.

Honestly, I hold no stock in these things, - I don't really care if the world is converted to them or not. But I heard (and others in my house, on 2 different systems with 2 different digital sources and different DACs + a friend who took one home to try out reports the same finding) a very positive improvement in sound - not just a difference, an improvement. These were not just people I pulled off the street, they were people whose ears I trust, but know nothing of DIY. It was not a controlled experiment, they knew I was doing "something" but not what it was. Most of them wouldn't know what a BNC connector was, never mind these attenuators. I just say all this to avoid some huge OT thread crapping - you can see I'm wary of this whole thing!

Just my 2c

Fran

Last edited by woodturner-fran; 16th September 2010 at 11:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!