Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 404 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2010, 10:15 AM   #4031
diyAudio Member

Working on a shigaclone myself, I would like to know which c906 replacements have been done and which ones sound better than the original? A Wondercap 0,01 uF is used by Erik, but what would also be a nice replacement (can't find a wondercap)?
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:41 PM   #4032
wdoerr is offline wdoerr  United States
diyAudio Member

Ready! Go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4529.jpg (244.5 KB, 857 views)
Old 4th May 2010, 10:28 PM   #4033
TICUL38 is offline TICUL38  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Are you in need of a EZ31B ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertaz View Post
Hi!

It's a massive thread! Any new word on sources for the EZ31/51 preferably in Australia? Or other appropriate models?

Thanks!
Taz.
Well not in Australia, but how about in Canada?
I would be willing to assist those of you having great difficulty locating this model and do a group purchase of 5 or 6 units (Model JVC RC-EZ31B) and then ship to destination. Now this entails certain risks that I am not willing to assume. All you would get is new in the box. My cost here is $68 Canadian, including both Provincial Sales Tax and GST at the pickup depot (I have to pay the taxes). Your cost would be $85 Canadian plus shipping. Participant would have to select shipping method and assume all risks that package may not arrive. You will have to accept shipping in the original box without extra packing (I will tape up the box)... so pick shipping method wisely! I ship on receiving your payment.... and you propose a safe method of payment which I need to approve (no PayPal ).
Now one rule: Be fair and No hoarding and first time purchase only!.. I am doing this to encourage DIY'ers that would otherwise be left out from this project, and want to proceed with the EZ31B version.
To start off, let me have your suggestions to make this safe/secure for me, and we then start the sale... remember 5 or 6 units available (I have mine).
Sorry for making this seem so difficult a process,
Louis
Old 5th May 2010, 01:27 PM   #4034
diyAudio Member

Hi

I have a new and unopened JVC RC-EZ31B boom box for sale at the following link.

Shigaclone - Donor JVC RC-EZ31B boom box

I thought I would post it here as these are quite hard to get hold of.

Regards
Old 5th May 2010, 01:42 PM   #4035
Havoc08 is offline Havoc08  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Havoc08
Yep, me too (E51 model). Search the sales forum. Brand new in box.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:10 AM   #4036
TICUL38 is offline TICUL38  Canada
diyAudio Member

OOPS!... did not realize there were EZ31's easily available at the sales forum.
I am removing my offer to supply.
Louis
Old 6th May 2010, 07:40 PM   #4037
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijke308 View Post
Working on a shigaclone myself, I would like to know which c906 replacements have been done and which ones sound better than the original? A Wondercap 0,01 uF is used by Erik, but what would also be a nice replacement (can't find a wondercap)?
I am also interested in the C906. The following capacitors are tested in my Shigaclone:

1. the original electrolytic, 0.1uF
2. Black Gate NX 0.1uF
3. MKP 0.1uF from a local dealer
4. WonderCap 0.068uF (aluminum foil/PP film)
5. RelCap PPT 0.01uF (tin foil/PP film)
6. Mundorf MKP 0.1uF (white)
7. Ceramic disk 0.22uF

Overall, I like the no. 1 and the no. 2, and both of them are electrolytic.

The strangest sound comes with the no. 5. Though the RelCap PPT is considered a good capacitor, placing it at C906 the sound is thin, bright, and unfocused. The no. 4 is also leading to a bright sound.
In the other side, with a large capacitance (no. 7, 0.22uF) the sound is thick, solid, and slow. The original value 0.1uF seems well-balanced.

Maybe the capacitance is a critical factor. However, Peter prefer the 0.01uF ERO and someone also prefer the 0.01uF MultiCap.

How do you guys think about the replacement of C906?
Old 6th May 2010, 08:39 PM   #4038
diyAudio Member

I just tried the recommended MultiCap RTX (0.015uF) and like it. The capacitance is small but the sound is not as bright and thin as the 0.01uF RelCap PPT. However, this result makes me more confused. What are the key characteristics for choosing the replacement of C906?
Old 11th May 2010, 11:56 PM   #4039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I am also interested in the C906. The following capacitors are tested in my Shigaclone:

1. the original electrolytic, 0.1uF
2. Black Gate NX 0.1uF
3. MKP 0.1uF from a local dealer
4. WonderCap 0.068uF (aluminum foil/PP film)
5. RelCap PPT 0.01uF (tin foil/PP film)
6. Mundorf MKP 0.1uF (white)
7. Ceramic disk 0.22uF

Overall, I like the no. 1 and the no. 2, and both of them are electrolytic.

The strangest sound comes with the no. 5. Though the RelCap PPT is considered a good capacitor, placing it at C906 the sound is thin, bright, and unfocused. The no. 4 is also leading to a bright sound.
In the other side, with a large capacitance (no. 7, 0.22uF) the sound is thick, solid, and slow. The original value 0.1uF seems well-balanced.

Maybe the capacitance is a critical factor. However, Peter prefer the 0.01uF ERO and someone also prefer the 0.01uF MultiCap.

How do you guys think about the replacement of C906?
If you have some time and patience you can make copper/cotton capacitor of Alpha Core 12 AWG inductor.You must place a sheets of copper and cotton in between two solid nonmetalic blocks and screw them.For 10nF you will need some 2m of foil.My blocks dimensions are 6x9 cm.Look at this white cube on my previous post with photos(third photo, cube under the right side under disc).You will get just natural ,uncolored sound with balanced timbre.I came on this idea after tried polystirene,various MKP from Vima,ERO,Philips etc. and each one got some mistake, to bright ,to soft,to.......So try this.Nice thing is that you have non inductive cap.After that you can make one for s/pdif and you will hear how this transport sings.
Old 12th May 2010, 02:40 AM   #4040
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

do you have any pictures of your homemade cap idea?

Hide this!Advertise here!