Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 403 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2010, 06:22 PM   #4021
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about that but I wasnt sure if making one out of aluminum would be a good idea since most cd pucks are made out of some sort of plastic
Old 20th April 2010, 01:19 AM   #4022
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoparleur
Hi, can we see pictures, you seem in heaven? ;0)

Guy

Tomorrow I will take a photo and post it.I was busy with clock suspension and haven't turned on pc till today.

Last edited by nemo1968; 20th April 2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: not completed
Old 20th April 2010, 02:29 AM   #4023
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
Ok, so here's a template I drew up - it's as close as I could get, but I drilled/cut my top plate to it and it fits well. BTW, this is for the mechanism without the plastic cover. Just remember (1) if you lay it out from the backside, reverse the drawing, (2) make sure you print it out at 100% (check it before you cut), and (3) from a mechanical drawing point of view, its over-dimensioned, but this way you can start from whatever reference you want.
Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DriveTemplate.pdf (18.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 20th April 2010, 08:25 AM   #4024
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoparleur View Post
Hi, can we see pictures, you seem in heaven? ;0)

Guy
The two left wheels are not used.That side is placed on air cushion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1034.JPG (114.9 KB, 935 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1039.JPG (100.1 KB, 924 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1035.JPG (111.9 KB, 921 views)
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:21 AM   #4025
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default re-clock

Hey, here's my re-clock circuit.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just need a couple more connections, then I could test it.
Old 22nd April 2010, 05:57 AM   #4026
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1968 View Post
Ingenious and original. I like it! What is considered the "air cushion", the fact that the transport is suspended from the rods or there is a place on the left side (that I don't see) where there are no contact.

I would have so many questions because I'm curious but I'll keep a reserve. Did you isolate the motors or plan onto?

Is this the prototype or final product? If you plan to bring it to a better level, it is a nice challenge.

Keep it up!
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:03 AM   #4027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1968 View Post
Also please explain your puck, is that a self centering magnet system or screw type???

Thanks,
Guy
Old 26th April 2010, 02:12 AM   #4028
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ingenious and original. I like it! What is considered the "air cushion", the fact that the transport is suspended from the rods or there is a place on the left side (that I don't see) where there are no contact.

I would have so many questions because I'm curious but I'll keep a reserve. Did you isolate the motors or plan onto?

Is this the prototype or final product? If you plan to bring it to a better level, it is a nice challenge.

Keep it up!
Thanks, I am glad that you like it.That aluminium angle on the left side is the air cushion but the air holes can't be seen because I have covered unused part with tape to make cushion more effective.Search for Terminator arm to see what kind of cushion it is.Decoupling is made through the rods but vibrations are compensated with wheels and cushion.Don't have plans to isolate motor because I have bonded both with thick layer of teflon tape with good sonic result,but who knows....The metal frame is clamped with two halves of carbon tubes attached together with screws.This is an infinite prototype since the new changes are coming often and I hate boxes because of sound degradation.Most of my system is without boxes.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:42 AM   #4029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also please explain your puck, is that a self centering magnet system or screw type???

Thanks,
Guy
This is a screw puck.It is made of carbon too.The mas of the puck is little bit less than one cd disc.I have removed the metal part on the plastic cd holder and inserted a carbon ring to make holder as rigid as possible.Puck can be made easy.Just cut one 12mm and one 15mm peace of tube and then make a 6mm thread on 12mm part so it can clamp that horizontal 15 mm part.The diameter of the tube is 28mm.You just have to insert a 6mm screw in the plastic holder hole.When you screw it you center it but you can miss some mm because it so light that it can't cause extra vibrations.It sounds better than plexy and magnet that I tried.I think that lower mass is what that transport need.I have tried hi mass transport configuration but I didn't liked it at all.That rod-air version is correct version to me.We can not eliminate vibrations completly so why don't control them here and there to find some intersinergy instead to kill them completly and some music by the way.
Old 27th April 2010, 02:54 AM   #4030
diyAudio Member

Default Call me esoteric,but ...

Hi all,

you probably don't really mind but I read the whole thread from A-Z and at this point I decided I wanted one:

Click the image to open in full size.

Call me esoteric, but I have rarely seen a more "scandinavian" design... you'll have to tell me about that audio1st ... is that an elk ?

EZ's are on order for building 2 clones, one for myself which will be "heavily inspired" by the one pictured above and another one (no decision yet on final design) for my cousin pierre aka WaveFlex in the speaker section.

He made me a birthday present in the form of a kit for some sexy bookshelf cabinets using translam/CNC as for these:

Troels' PMS (multilayer assembly) build thread

My design is more like this one actually but with increased volume to suit the Vifa PL14 (sorry for the forum beeing french, but you get an idea scrolling down having a look at the pics)

Inspiration "SA2K" avec caisses LEGO - Enceintes

Guess what his birthday present will be...

Thanks to Peter for starting this thread and to everybody contributing to it!

Cheers,

Max

Hide this!Advertise here!