Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 401 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2010, 03:52 PM   #4001
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ahaa! Thanks for that Peter - I guess it's either a mistake on the diagram or a deliberate error to stop people building a successful copy

Best,

- John
Old 17th March 2010, 04:37 PM   #4002
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
The EZ32 is not entirely compatible - apparently it takes a lot of extra work. See the posts by kevinkr.
The end result though was worth it... Definitely a more ambitious project for the more experienced DIY'er.. Follow my recommendations and be careful and you should be successful.
Old 17th March 2010, 05:00 PM   #4003
diyAudio Member

If not using a pulse transformer for the digital output from the CEC 'clone' re-clocking board, what combination of output resistors would be the 'by the book' choice?

Audio1st you mentioned 150/150 combo - was that a 'suck it and see' approach or worked out from looking at the chip specs?

- John
Old 17th March 2010, 10:17 PM   #4004
diyAudio Member

I just used the 300/100 combination I had originally used in the shiga and it works AOK. Like you there are spdif transformers in one of my DACs but not the others.

Fran
Old 18th March 2010, 12:13 PM   #4005
diyAudio Member

I guess it's not too critical then as you're using 300/100 and Audio1st is using 150/150 and both are fine.

The chips just arrived for the reclocker. One is TI SN74AS74N, but the other is a Malay CD74ACT14E - does it matter that this one isn't a TI chip like the one on the CEC board? Or are these manufactured by lots of different companies to the same specs?

Thanks.

Last edited by johnm; 18th March 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 18th March 2010, 01:22 PM   #4006
diyAudio Member

P.S. that last chip is actually made by Harris (in Malay I guess).
Old 6th April 2010, 01:10 AM   #4007
diyAudio Member

Default Any recent word on sources of EZ31/51? (Preferably in Australia)

Hi!

It's a massive thread! Any new word on sources for the EZ31/51 preferably in Australia? Or other appropriate models?

Thanks!
Taz.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:50 AM   #4008
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

Taz,
Not quite in Ozzie-land, but still close to the BE... (heh-heh)

Amazon.ca: Used and New: JVC RC-EZ31 Portable Boombox with CD Player, Cassette Deck, and AM/FM Tuner

Bill
Old 11th April 2010, 06:10 PM   #4009
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone tried JVC RC-EX10?

RC-EX10 is an old model from JVC. It looks similar to RC-EZ31 and has the equivalent functions (reads CD/CD-R/CD-RW but is unable to playback MP3).

Does anyone know the chipset used in this model? Hope it could be used for Shigaclone.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/portable-rad...-10-e/1056849/
Old 15th April 2010, 08:51 PM   #4010
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone, I drew up some plans to have a chassis made for the shigaclone. Its a solid 2" thick milled aluminum chassis. It should be quite heavy and "high-end looking". It is similar to the one made by BMW850 but it will be much smaller (12.5"x12.5"). I am thinking about starting a group buy if I can find others interested. I cant afford to have one custom made (I got some quotes of $260-$300 for material and labor) Hopefully, a group buy can bring down the price. This is for the top section only. There will be a recess and cut out where the JVC mech will fit right in. The lower section will not be custom milled. It can easily be made from aluminum plate so I will leave that up to you guys to make. Please look at my plans and let me know if anyone will be interested. Remember this is only for the top section and I am hoping to find a place that will do it for $150-$200.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!