Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2010, 09:13 PM   #3991
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW850 View Post
Jvc-rcez31 jvc-rcez32 jvc-rcez51
The EZ32 is not entirely compatible - apparently it takes a lot of extra work. See the posts by kevinkr.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:41 PM   #3992
diyAudio Member

As jonners said: you can make the EZ32 work but it ain't easy. Go for the 31 or 51 only.

Fran
Old 16th March 2010, 06:28 PM   #3993
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Whilst waiting for parts to arrive so I can build the re-clocking board mentioned a few pages back in this thread, I stumbled upon this review of a CEC TL-1X transport:

CEC TL-1X

Looks to have more or less than same digital output board as Peter's TL0, but with the addition of an optical receiver too.

Scroll down about halfway and you can see the awful trace put out by the SPDIF signal from this board - this guy gets far better results from using the digital output 'direct' from the board and bypassing the output board.

Has anyone experienced a lack of bass who's DIY'd version of the CEC style digital output?

Cheers,

- John
Old 16th March 2010, 07:34 PM   #3994
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The Lampizator was wrong: Suggestions please: Improving motor CEC (Mabuchi)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th March 2010, 09:01 PM   #3995
diyAudio Member

I did the mod and the bass is actually far far better - as are the highs. Well worth doing, one of the best mods of all.

Fran
Old 16th March 2010, 09:34 PM   #3996
diyAudio Member

Just read that thread - whew! Nice to know this was just a case of a faulty test then (one hope's he'll update his pages to reflect this...).

Looking forward to trying out this CEC-style reclocking board on my Shiga once the chips arrive. Only difference is I'll do it without the pulse transformer and instead use the 300/100 resistors. There's already a pulse transformer on the input of my DAC at any rate. Have heard many people don't like using pulse transformers, so I guess this is another avenue to experiment with.

- John
Old 17th March 2010, 12:11 PM   #3997
diyAudio Member

Yes I also prefere mine with the added re-clock circuit.. No pulse transformer with mine and I changed the output resisitors to 150/150 because the output was lower with the extra circuit..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg re-clockold2+.jpg (99.7 KB, 712 views)
Old 17th March 2010, 12:15 PM   #3998
diyAudio Member

Wow I love that diagram - you must be a whiz at Photoshop? I'm currently doing an evening class studying beginners Photoshop actually, though will be a while before I produce work like that! Really helpful and makes it near enough foolproof to put one of these boards together - thanks!

Just curious why there's only one 33uF cap providing decoupling to both chips, whereas on the CEC circuit diagram I believe there is one cap per chip?

- John
Old 17th March 2010, 02:23 PM   #3999
diyAudio Member

P.S. I've probably missed a post somewhere that explains this, but according to Peter's circuit, plus Audio1st's, the digital output comes from pin 9 of the 74AS74. However according to the original CEC schematic it appears to come from pin 8...

Have I missed something?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by johnm; 17th March 2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 17th March 2010, 03:08 PM   #4000
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I went with the actual CEC board, and the output comes from pin9, see post #12: The CD Transport
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!