Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Here is the schematic I am currently working on. It also works without changes with LM317.

Guys I have to say... The impact in the sound was really big. Everything is more "right there". Bass is a bit shy still, but I expect it to come back as the caps break in.

Oh and the transport... The smoothest, fastest and most silent movement I have seen on the shiga so far...

Yes FR

By the way, I tried the tracking preregulator today.

Here is a photo

attachment.php

And here is the schematic.

attachment.php

I built the load reg exactly like my previous schematic, and just added the input prereg LM117.
Input and output caps are the same. Voltage reference stuff are the same. For C2+R I used a sprague 10uF capacitor.

The result was a vastly smoother sound. Everything seems to flow out of the space in the room, and highs are WAY clearer. With the LM117 itself I was thinking that the Muse 1000uF was too dark, but now I really like where this is going...

In the photo I have not included the reference capacitor. Again I used 220uF panasonic FR.

Tommorrow I will build a 5V one and power V1 and V2.

I just have to remember to buy some nylon screws because the insulators I got for the TO-3 were wrong.

Attachments

• mc-tpr.jpg
    mc-tpr.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,276
  • DSCF0656.JPG
    DSCF0656.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,193
By the way, for the led reference cap it might be a good idea to use a polymer electrolytic. Like Sanyo Oscon or Nichicon CK for their ultra low ESR (7mOhms vs 190mOhms for the FR). I will get some with my next order.

The difference in the output impedance should be devastating making the psu much better...

Nope you got it in the wrong place. The leds replace R4 and you put in parallel to them a low ESR 220uF electrolytic.

C2 and the purple R can be both replaced by one cheap NON low ESR 10uF capacitor.

I will post the complete schematic later today when I get home from work

Last edited:
that would be nice,thanks

There you go

attachment.php

The important bits are:

C3 is NOT low ESR
C2 IS low ESR
C4 is NOT low ESR

Also note that since I am running a big cable I also added a big filter cap right on the diodes, effectively creating a small CLC with the input capacitor and the long wire. This does not significantly affect the character of C1, especially if it is low ESR which means that more or less it will dominate the supply with its speed.
I tried a CRC but it significantly affected the sound adversely and the reference leds blinked just a tiny bit during big power pulls (speed up or breaking for example)

Anyway, as you can see in my scope view there really is no need for further filtering.

Attachments

• 117_tpr.jpg
    117_tpr.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 3,354
By the way, the prereg with this reference seems to give 8.25V output. This is quite ok as it seems, since my shiga is working perfectly for days now, and I think Tibi had said that you can use a bit higher voltage with just a bit more heat on the bridge chip.

Anyway, If you still want to get it to a straight 8V, the recipe is

2 red leds, 2 IR leds and one 1N4002

Thank you,dimkasta
The formula for reference voltage is the same?
I've worked for small board with 3 smd leds and two byw27 diodes and forward voltage for the board is 6,67V.
6,67+1,25=7,92V
Hope that is OK

Attachments

• 20140604_202541.jpg
    20140604_202541.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 566
  • 20140604_202552.jpg
    20140604_202552.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Yes the formula is the same.
It should be ok but Tibi should verify this.. The transport worked with even 5V. I learned this the hard way mixing my 7808 with a 7805.

By the way, did you measure it in circuit, or with a random battery and resistor? The forward voltage drop increases a bit with current, so I would try it in circuit with a dummy load of about 10ohms. If it is still below 8V, you can try using a bit smaller R1 to increase the current through the leds, although, 5mA is their sweet spot for minimum noise.

Last edited:
Yes the formula is the same.
It should be ok but Tibi should verify this.. The transport worked with even 5V. I learned this the hard way mixing my 7808 with a 7805.

By the way, did you measure it in circuit, or with a random battery and resistor? The forward voltage drop increases a bit with current, so I would try it in circuit with a dummy load of about 10ohms. If it is still below 8V, you can try using a bit smaller R1 to increase the current through the leds, although, 5mA is their sweet spot for minimum noise.

LA6541 will work fine between 5.6V and 13V. However above 9V a heatsink is required for both LA6541 and 2SB764.

Regards,
Tibi

I haven't been looking at this thread for a year or two and am amazed just how far the original Shigaclone (EZ31) has evolved with the Shiga MK2.

Is there a thread/site that has kept up with the tweaks/upgrades for a stock EZ31 unit? I have found Uncle Leon's web pages at Studio Zèy. Would this be the latest updated info on mods (including the MK2 tweaks/upgrades where applicable) for the original Shigalone (EZ31)?

Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't been looking at this thread for a year or two and am amazed just how far the original Shigaclone (EZ31) has evolved with the Shiga MK2.

Is there a thread/site that has kept up with the tweaks/upgrades for a stock EZ31 unit? I have found Uncle Leon's web pages at Studio Zèy. Would this be the latest updated info on mods (including the MK2 tweaks/upgrades where applicable) for the original Shigalone (EZ31)?

Thanks

Marcus,

You want to read Shiga MKII construction thread. It is still readable. :D
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/255887-shigaclone-mkii-black-builders-thread.html

And here is one modification who made me name it "WOOOOW effect" which can be implemented to any EZXX:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...kii-black-builders-thread-21.html#post3948117

Regards,
Tibi