Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2008, 01:22 PM   #381
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Peter, is it OK to temporarily use the JVC supplied 12v transformer with your PSU board? I cannot afford the new torroidal transformer just yet

Do I need to make any changes to the PSU board, or will the JVC transformer work without any problems?

Many thanks.

- John
Old 15th April 2008, 01:35 PM   #382
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
JVC transformer should work properly.
I didn't try the original PS at all so can't comment how good it is.

And I'd rather use EI transformer with digital, not toroid.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th April 2008, 01:36 PM   #383
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Audio1st. Thanks for that. I have just got to connect up the Dig Out and give it a spin. I will certainly see what it is like as standard before "killing" it (echoes of early Sonic Impact malarkey !)
Old 15th April 2008, 01:51 PM   #384
diyAudio Member

Cheers Peter.

I'll have a look into EI transformers to

Thanks also for the parts which arrived today - now things are getting interesting!!

- John
Old 15th April 2008, 02:49 PM   #385
diyAudio Member

If anyone was thinking of swapping the magnetic puck for the Playstation clamp, don't, the shaft is to short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaft.jpg (47.6 KB, 2254 views)
Old 15th April 2008, 02:59 PM   #386
diyAudio Member

Aw bug*ger! Good on you for trying though. I guess you could alway file away some of the outside circumference until it's clear of the laser sled?

I'd like to post some pictures of how my JVC is progressing, but have lost the lead that connects the camera to the PC - aghhhhh! I'll have to wait for a bit.

- J
Old 15th April 2008, 03:02 PM   #387
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Peter, is it OK to temporarily use the JVC supplied 12v transformer with your PSU board? I cannot afford the new torroidal transformer just yet

Do I need to make any changes to the PSU board, or will the JVC transformer work without any problems?

Many thanks.

- John

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
JVC transformer should work properly.
I didn't try the original PS at all so can't comment how good it is.

And I'd rather use EI transformer with digital, not toroid.
I can't see it causing any problems short term. I was using the one that came with my boom box both with the stock supply and the one that replaced it, and it seemed adequate. I could be wrong but I suspect the biggest bang for the buck comes from a much improved psu and less from the transformer.

Incidentally in terms of toroid vs. EI type you can achieve similar or superior levels of line noise rejection if you use a good common mode choke ahead of the toroid.. Overall of course a small EI will be less expensive than the choke+toroid combo.

I'm going to look at my existing controller board and see whether or not it is irreparably damaged tonight. I plan to make some changes to the power supply in order to reduce the possibility of damage due to high line. (Basically regulate the 12V to the LCD, and reduced the voltage to the LED back to the original 6V by using another cheap regulator running off of the switched 12V. (This to provide protection in the event of wiring errors, etc., at the display board.) I have another RCEZ32 on the way and believe me I will be extremely careful with both the display and controller. Even minor mechanical shock apparently can damage the display.
Old 15th April 2008, 03:04 PM   #388
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Aw bug*ger! Good on you for trying though. I guess you could alway file away some of the outside circumference until it's clear of the laser sled?

I'd like to post some pictures of how my JVC is progressing, but have lost the lead that connects the camera to the PC - aghhhhh! I'll have to wait for a bit.

- J
The surface of the disk is likely too close to the optical assembly - a malfunction (power failure for example) could cause the optics to hit the disk even if it worked.
Old 15th April 2008, 03:05 PM   #389
diyAudio Member

Folks, I have the choice between an Elna Silmic ARS 100uF/63V for C939 (original JVC value is 100uF), or a Black Gate N 47uF / 50V.

Due to the fact that the traces seem to lift easily on the board I only want to install once - no room for experimenting (plus I want to get it soldered up today ).

What would you choose, and does it matter that much in this position?

Many thanks.

- John

P.S. Thanks Kevin I'll use the JVC unit for now then, and upgrade to a better unit at a later stage. Saves something for later tweak-wise
Old 15th April 2008, 03:14 PM   #390
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Folks, I have the choice between an Elna Silmic ARS 100uF/63V for C939 (original JVC value is 100uF), or a Black Gate N 47uF / 50V.

Due to the fact that the traces seem to lift easily on the board I only want to install once - no room for experimenting (plus I want to get it soldered up today ).

What would you choose, and does it matter that much in this position?

Many thanks.

- John

P.S. Thanks Kevin I'll use the JVC unit for now then, and upgrade to a better unit at a later stage. Saves something for later tweak-wise
I'm just wondering what sort of soldering iron you are using? I imagine that the RCEZ32 pcb are similar to those in yours and I have not had any problems with lifting traces even when removing smd parts with a conventional iron. Use "soder wick" to remove the solder from the pad (through hole parts) and then remove the part. Make sure you tip is sized appropriately for the work.. I use a 40W temperature controlled Weller running at 700 degrees F.. (~370 C)

Hide this!Advertise here!