Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 01:22 PM   #381
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Peter, is it OK to temporarily use the JVC supplied 12v transformer with your PSU board? I cannot afford the new torroidal transformer just yet

Do I need to make any changes to the PSU board, or will the JVC transformer work without any problems?

Many thanks.

- John
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 01:35 PM   #382
diyAudio Member
 
Peter Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
JVC transformer should work properly.
I didn't try the original PS at all so can't comment how good it is.

And I'd rather use EI transformer with digital, not toroid.
__________________
www.audiosector.com
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 01:36 PM   #383
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: U.K
Audio1st. Thanks for that. I have just got to connect up the Dig Out and give it a spin. I will certainly see what it is like as standard before "killing" it (echoes of early Sonic Impact malarkey !)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 01:51 PM   #384
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Cheers Peter.

I'll have a look into EI transformers to

Thanks also for the parts which arrived today - now things are getting interesting!!

- John
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 02:49 PM   #385
diyAudio Member
 
audio1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Foxton, CAMBS..
If anyone was thinking of swapping the magnetic puck for the Playstation clamp, don't, the shaft is to short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaft.jpg (47.6 KB, 2254 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 02:59 PM   #386
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Aw bug*ger! Good on you for trying though. I guess you could alway file away some of the outside circumference until it's clear of the laser sled?

I'd like to post some pictures of how my JVC is progressing, but have lost the lead that connects the camera to the PC - aghhhhh! I'll have to wait for a bit.

- J
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 03:02 PM   #387
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Peter, is it OK to temporarily use the JVC supplied 12v transformer with your PSU board? I cannot afford the new torroidal transformer just yet

Do I need to make any changes to the PSU board, or will the JVC transformer work without any problems?

Many thanks.

- John

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
JVC transformer should work properly.
I didn't try the original PS at all so can't comment how good it is.

And I'd rather use EI transformer with digital, not toroid.
I can't see it causing any problems short term. I was using the one that came with my boom box both with the stock supply and the one that replaced it, and it seemed adequate. I could be wrong but I suspect the biggest bang for the buck comes from a much improved psu and less from the transformer.

Incidentally in terms of toroid vs. EI type you can achieve similar or superior levels of line noise rejection if you use a good common mode choke ahead of the toroid.. Overall of course a small EI will be less expensive than the choke+toroid combo.

I'm going to look at my existing controller board and see whether or not it is irreparably damaged tonight. I plan to make some changes to the power supply in order to reduce the possibility of damage due to high line. (Basically regulate the 12V to the LCD, and reduced the voltage to the LED back to the original 6V by using another cheap regulator running off of the switched 12V. (This to provide protection in the event of wiring errors, etc., at the display board.) I have another RCEZ32 on the way and believe me I will be extremely careful with both the display and controller. Even minor mechanical shock apparently can damage the display.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 03:04 PM   #388
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Aw bug*ger! Good on you for trying though. I guess you could alway file away some of the outside circumference until it's clear of the laser sled?

I'd like to post some pictures of how my JVC is progressing, but have lost the lead that connects the camera to the PC - aghhhhh! I'll have to wait for a bit.

- J
The surface of the disk is likely too close to the optical assembly - a malfunction (power failure for example) could cause the optics to hit the disk even if it worked.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 03:05 PM   #389
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
johnm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hampshire
Folks, I have the choice between an Elna Silmic ARS 100uF/63V for C939 (original JVC value is 100uF), or a Black Gate N 47uF / 50V.

Due to the fact that the traces seem to lift easily on the board I only want to install once - no room for experimenting (plus I want to get it soldered up today ).

What would you choose, and does it matter that much in this position?

Many thanks.

- John

P.S. Thanks Kevin I'll use the JVC unit for now then, and upgrade to a better unit at a later stage. Saves something for later tweak-wise
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 03:14 PM   #390
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Folks, I have the choice between an Elna Silmic ARS 100uF/63V for C939 (original JVC value is 100uF), or a Black Gate N 47uF / 50V.

Due to the fact that the traces seem to lift easily on the board I only want to install once - no room for experimenting (plus I want to get it soldered up today ).

What would you choose, and does it matter that much in this position?

Many thanks.

- John

P.S. Thanks Kevin I'll use the JVC unit for now then, and upgrade to a better unit at a later stage. Saves something for later tweak-wise
I'm just wondering what sort of soldering iron you are using? I imagine that the RCEZ32 pcb are similar to those in yours and I have not had any problems with lifting traces even when removing smd parts with a conventional iron. Use "soder wick" to remove the solder from the pad (through hole parts) and then remove the part. Make sure you tip is sized appropriately for the work.. I use a 40W temperature controlled Weller running at 700 degrees F.. (~370 C)
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2