Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 380 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2009, 02:11 PM   #3791
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Interesting mod Peter. Are all the parts available from the major suppliers?

I often thought about going for one of those chinese clocks from ebay, with the separate power supply etc, but never felt I was missing enough to make me go for it....

BTW, a friend of mine has found a pretty cheap Phillips DVD player (60-70€) and he says it sounds very close to the shiga.... I'll check for a model number with him.
All the parts are easily available from DK, except for Scientific Conversion transformer, but a different transformer can be used as well.

I wouldn't bother with Chinese clock kit, the main selling point for those units is visual similarity to Levinson board, but the circuit would need to be further modified to fit in this specific application here, besides, I have doubts as to PS implementation: http://en.hifidiy.net/Speakers_DIY/2...2157184593.gif I got one of those but never really bothered to put it together, maybe because half of the traces were missing on a clock board

As to Philips player, I noticed someone mentioned AZ1022 on the other forum.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st December 2009, 02:32 PM   #3792
diyAudio Member

Peter, is galvanic isolation (pulse transfomer) really needed?

Last edited by m.massimo; 21st December 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 21st December 2009, 02:40 PM   #3793
diyAudio Member

It's never really needed and I usually remove transformers, but I wanted to try the circuit exactly the same as in my TL0 (which by many is regarded as best transport ever).

So far, I like it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st December 2009, 03:49 PM   #3794
diyAudio Member

I'll give your scheme a try. I've an open order at DK and I've already added the necessary parts. As you said they don't stock SC transformers, but they have a large choice of pulse transformers. I've just read some threads on this forum and many talk about SC944-05 (not available at DK), Pulse 65612 (available at DK but 600pcs minimum), Newava 22083 (available at 6.88€ each)

What do you think of this Murata (available at DK at 1.53€)? It seems to have the same characteristics of 22083 at a reduced cost.
Digi-Key - 811-1280-5-ND (Fabbricante - 76601/3C)
Old 21st December 2009, 03:59 PM   #3795
diyAudio Member

I don't have any experience with transformers, although Pulse Engineering seem to be quite popular and available from https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/...do?tab=catalog
Old 21st December 2009, 06:43 PM   #3796
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default popping noise!!!! need help

hi guys!!!

ive completed my build yesterday and really it sounds great!!! thanks for all your help!!!

the problem is im hearing occasional popping noises. theres a popping noise every time i press play and occasionally during heavy music transients/passages.

im using panasonic tsha caps in PS. and instead of Peter's recommendation on C916 of 47uf or 33uf, im using 30uf motor run as this is my only available cap for the moment.

is this 30uf cap insufficient?

anybody else has had the same problem?

my setup is: shigaclone connected to behringer upsampler then to cs4397 dac.

i have no problem when i use different transport.

thanks guys
Old 21st December 2009, 09:01 PM   #3797
diyAudio Member

M.massimo:

The newava gets the best reviews I think. I have a 65612 if you would like I can send you one.

Pm on its way to you....

Fran
Old 21st December 2009, 10:27 PM   #3798
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo View Post

my setup is: shigaclone connected to behringer upsampler then to cs4397 dac.
Hi tubo -

Have you tried going direct into the DAC without the Behringer?

I used to have the same setup and I seem to recall having a similar problem at one stage, but I can't remember at the moment exactly what I did to solve it! I think it's to do with the interface between the shigaclone and the Behringer. Are you using the recommended resistor values on the digital out? If you are, then try adding a coupling cap as suggested by Peter in post 3780.

Last edited by jonners; 21st December 2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:06 AM   #3799
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
Hi tubo -

Have you tried going direct into the DAC without the Behringer?

I used to have the same setup and I seem to recall having a similar problem at one stage, but I can't remember at the moment exactly what I did to solve it! I think it's to do with the interface between the shigaclone and the Behringer. Are you using the recommended resistor values on the digital out? If you are, then try adding a coupling cap as suggested by Peter in post 3780.

hi Jonners,

thanks for the input..

problem solved!!!! i just replaced the motor run cap in C916 with 47uf.
no more popping noise!!!!

good thing parts ordered arrived today!!!! im so satisfied with the sound quality.

thanks guys
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:06 AM   #3800
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
And this how I did it in my transport. Please see attached edited CEC schematic (according to board layout the RCA output is actually taken from pin 9 of the flip-flop)

I added a small board with two chips and few additional parts (used exactly same chips as CEC, some experimenting here with different types maybe worthwhile and will follow), crystal is Citizen and output transformer Scientific Conversion. I didn't use output coupling cap, it's not really needed here as long the DAC does not show any input DC offset.

I didn't use any additional regulator (TL0 does not use one either) the power, data and ground are simply taken from main board, another wire connects clock signal from output board to main board (use resonator pad which is further away from LC78601 chip)

How does it sound? Well, I didn't find anything wrong with the transport in a first place, with a mod though, it has a bit less of edginess and thin sounding, which some people may find sort of annoying. It produces sounds that are better defined in space and possibly more refined. It's certainly worth trying and I would be interested how others find it.
Peter you are reclocking with a high jitter clock.

Hide this!Advertise here!