Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I've been using the. Duelund cast 0.01 as well for a couple of weeks and have not looked back since.
At first, when the 0.01 was put in place, there was skipping on some scratched cds but now it copes with scratched cds fairly well. I've had no problems with skipping with good cds.

Damn you guys, you got me to remove the FT1 12nF and resolder the FT3 0.1uF back.
Still verified my old opinion... To my ears and system, the loss of frequency extremes and spatial info is severe with the 100nF cap, and the reading ability is not that much better. I will keep it like this for a few days and change it back for a final trial of the 12nF. The winner will receive a wood/wax treatment.
In the meantime, I am also ordering some wet tantalum caps to try. Unfortunately I cannot find them new in ~10nF. Perhaps I will try some mica as well if i manage to spare some money in my incoming order...

Last edited:
Play time :)

I decided to give the wood/wax a try.

The FT1 was so easy to open with a simple pair of thin wire-cutters.

The teflon was clean, dry and tightly rolled on itself.

The side caps are also nice. I might use them somewhere. Like as a thrust pad for my SL1200 :)

attachment.php

I applied the wax without issues, and a simple measurement proved that unless something weird happened that is not easily detected, the capacitor remained intact. Its capacity is rock stable where it was, and the dissipation factor again remained at nearly 0. And TBH I was not even particularly careful with it :)

attachment.php

That's for those that worry that such an operation ruins the capacitor's characteristics. OK it alters them, but the main parameters remain the same.

Oh and if a type is safer for such operation, that is teflon, since the wax temperature does not affect it at all. Other types like electrolytics might be more sensitive.

On to try it now :)

Attachments

• DIM_3594.jpg
    DIM_3594.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 732
  • DIM_3591.jpg
    DIM_3591.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 451
First impressions are rather positive.
Clarity has increased and harshness on highs is reduced.
The cap is fresh though, so it will need a few hours of breaking in to reveal its true colors. For now bass is rather weak and the mids seem to lack bite and power. We'll see in a few days.
Oh by the way SACD readability seems to have slightly increased. I have one that was skipping a lot, and now seems to play more easily. Still no luck with CDRs though...

I am moving my shigaclone into a new chassis, but before doing so I ran a final test vs my modded Theta DATA III, a massive 4 transformer 25kg transport that was also built to play laser discs.
Despite the Theta having standard reclocking (74HCU04, 74HC74), it came second in the assessment!

The Shigaclone had:
More delicate highs
More 3D presentation-this was the biggest difference and a suprise for me. I never expected that a transport, which after all provides a digital data stream, can create a soundstage different to another
More emotive delivery compared with the DATA III's information presentation

The Shig was standard except for
an ALW 5V PS to the 5V line and a simple LM317 based reg feeding 8V
The std four caps (2 SMD) and choke removed

Plans include:
ALW reg to feed 8V line
2.5V line (VREF) to be fed by JohnW reg
reclock scheme try
mini-circuits attenuator try again
try a bybee type filter I've developed

Hi Again :D,

Where do you feed the 2.5 volt and where do you scratch...I would like to have a go..
Did you ever succesfully implemented 2.5-5-8 volt at the same time on the board..:confused:

QFT guys... I would love to see this thread more active...

BTW I have just tried Erik's "antiscate" thingy and I can confirm it makes a significant difference. I an word, the sound has more authority. Especially nice in piano sessions.

I really do not feel comfortable with the weight solution though... if someone moves the transport it can get ugly. Something like a spring or a rubber band would be safer if we can find one that has the right tension and does not alter it in different positions of the sled.

Tried the 2.5V regulator at the C906 position.

Simpler to setup than I initially thought-the 5534 op-amp does not require a dual power supply or any power supply at all!

Shigaclone still works, so no issues there! (Simply removing C906 resulted in the clone not reading the table of contents)

The sound?
Giving it a day or so to burn in and will report back here.....

Can you explain this a bit more ??
Fun to read :D