Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2008, 11:57 PM   #341
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Coolio - thanks.

Do you mean the 0.1uf position? I'm using Auricap for that.
Old 14th April 2008, 12:01 AM   #342
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Okapi, Count me in for one of those clamps. (still)

My RCEZ32 is sounding really nice now.. I have figured out what I need power supply-wise in order to elminate the audio board. Quite simple really.. I need a 6V supply that is always available, a 12V and 8V supply which are controlled by the micro-controller and I will do this via relay.

The only thing now running on the 8V supply is the mechanism and board..

I'm keeping the electronic power switching, and I am debating having a separate winding for the 12V and 6V supplies, but probably won't..
Old 14th April 2008, 01:20 AM   #343
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default clamp

at this point i think i have enough material for 4 clamps - leftover from another project.

the first is going to peter and i hope to have it done before the end of the week. i will take one of the three remaining clamps but it does not have to be the next one made.

construction of the remaining 3 clamps (mine included) will have to wait until may as i will be heading out of town until then. the "extra" clamps will go to those who requested first - can't really think of a better way.

this batch of clamps will be given free of charge (not including shipping). after the first run i will need some sort of compensation for a clamp as i will be bored with the project by then. please keep in mind that getting these done professionally would likely double the cost of the project - a price i don't think anyone should or would be willing to pay because it defeats the spirit/goal of this project - a low cost, great sounding cd transport.
Old 14th April 2008, 02:25 AM   #344
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
Put me on the list and let me know price and when available later on.
Old 14th April 2008, 02:50 AM   #345
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hayenc
Put me on the list and let me know price and when available later on.
me too.. thanks
Old 14th April 2008, 04:45 AM   #346
quan is online now quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default shigaclone

Hi Peter ,just a question regard transformer-would 2X9V dual secondaries be OK?
in regard to wiring-from your power supply board-is there any advantage of going full bridge rectifier. Iam still confused and unsure regard the CT transformer and dual secondaries wiring- Do i need four diodes then instead of two?. Sorry a Noob question.
Old 14th April 2008, 04:55 AM   #347
Richard is offline Richard  Australia
diyAudio Member

After following this excellent thread for a week and struggling to get in on the act, I finally managed to procure a RCEZ31A. Iím still in the early stages of modding and havenít built the power supply yet. Iím using the original psu but with a larger 10V transformer.

Johnm, you can use a XF with a single 10V secondary, but youíll need a 4 diode bridge rectifier, similar to the original psu.

Iíve also found the BYV26C fast, soft recovery diodes to perform very well, better than the Schottky xDQxx series (tried the 11DQ04 and 31DQ04). Itís not easy to get the MUR860 diodes here.

Regarding caps I agree with Oneyedk, the Rybycon ZL & ZA series are great, cheaper than Black Gates and available from RS. I had good success with these caps in Philips swingarm player mods.

As for performance I didnít think it would match my Philips CDM 2/10 transport which has managed to embarrass several high end units (including CD Pro based ones), but Iím surprised how close the 31A comes in its current state.

The Philips still has the edge detail retrieval, low bass, tone and image placement. But the soundstage and highs initially appear better with the EZ31. Iíll do the cap mods and have another listen on the weekend and report back.

Cheers,

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcez31a stage 1a.jpg (79.4 KB, 2671 views)
Old 14th April 2008, 05:03 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

quan,

you can use a XF with dual secondaries, either use 1 of those secondaries or connect them parallel (you may have to look at the XF datasheet for this).

Cheers,

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: gif power supply.gif (2.5 KB, 2267 views)
Old 14th April 2008, 05:18 AM   #349
diyAudio Member

Here is a pic of my Philips CDM 2/10 based transport, itís still work in progress.

I have used a hard wood & MDF base as I have found that Ďwood is goodí as a mass loaded platform in vibration reduction and itís also cheaper than brass and copper. A hagclock is just visible in the top right.

It can be a bit temperamental at times. Overall itís not as good as my beloved CDM1 but better than the CDM 1 Mk II....

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philips cdm2_10 transport.jpg (79.9 KB, 2611 views)
Old 14th April 2008, 10:06 AM   #350
quan is online now quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question shigaclone

Hi Richard, will you be using rubycon ZA/ZL entirely for Shigaclone?
The only source for BG from Oz is Soundlabsgroup and they are twice the cost from US!!!
I may order the rubycon and give it a go-still not deciding.
I don't want to destroy the board from changing components several times.
Where do you buy your transformer from OZ?

Hide this!Advertise here!