Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 333 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2009, 02:47 AM   #3321
diyAudio Member

Hi Sparhawk
I'd be interested in one. E-mail me with the cost
Old 18th April 2009, 11:30 PM   #3322
diyAudio Member

So I picked up my EZ31 today from Fergus (about 40 minutes drive from me). They have 4 left in stock. I'm willing to buy up the remaining 4 units if people are interested. The cost was $60 (Canadian), and I would ask an extra $15 each to cover my time (and to make my wife happy, since she isn't convinced why I needed to buy a crappy-looking portable stereo), plus the cost of shipping.

If anyone is interested, let me know asap. Kierownik gets first dibs.

-Dan
Old 18th April 2009, 11:49 PM   #3323
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk
So I picked up my EZ31 today from Fergus (about 40 minutes drive from me). They have 4 left in stock. I'm willing to buy up the remaining 4 units if people are interested. The cost was $60 (Canadian), and I would ask an extra $15 each to cover my time (and to make my wife happy, since she isn't convinced why I needed to buy a crappy-looking portable stereo), plus the cost of shipping.

If anyone is interested, let me know asap. Kierownik gets first dibs.

-Dan
Thanks for your response Dan.

Regards,
Dan
Old 19th April 2009, 02:51 AM   #3324
diyAudio Member

Hi Sparhawk
Thanks for the offer, but I'm already getting one off of ebay
Good luck with your shiga project
Old 19th April 2009, 09:22 PM   #3325
Malvin is offline Malvin  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Sparhawk

I would get one if the thing is still available.

Thanks,
Old 19th April 2009, 10:36 PM   #3326
diyAudio Member

Hi there!
I bought me a Sony SCD555 ES SACD player. It sounds very, very good, but it can't reach the sound of the shigaclone. The sony sounds sterile and more bloomy where the shigaclone sounds more open, fragile and pinpoint. It also lets you get more involved in to the music, and thats what it is all about. The sacd part of the sony comes close to the shigaclone, but still not good enough. So again a claer winner. Still happy! Teake
Old 20th April 2009, 10:32 AM   #3327
diyAudio Member

Nice to read it is still going strong...

A bit surprised to read that even the sacd part is no contest...given an sacd-disc against a normal cd-disc....
Meaning that although it gets a worst source it still performs better...

BTW
What kind of test did you do ...

I know the Krall sacd (Girl in the other room) hybrid is horrible when you play the cd layer....but when you buy the same Krall but normal cd-version it's layer sounds a lot better while actually being cheaper....how is that for customer-manipulation towards sacd...!!!!!

I had that experience a year ago and was amazed....
Old 20th April 2009, 01:55 PM   #3328
Zim is offline Zim  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Fran,

Here's a picture of the internals, it's a fairly straightforward build as I pretty much went for a transport based on Peter's first design.

The controller board is mounted fron left to right underneath the mechanism. It was a tighter fit than I had planned but it all goes in. I removed the little push buttons from the board and ran wires up to the buttons on the top plate. The mech is mounted on two rigid supports.

The top plate was polycarbonate which I can recommend highly over perspex. Although it costs quite a bit more it's a much tougher material and thus there is much less chance of cracking when drilling or cutting holes.

The power supply is offboard so this is slightly different to Peter's setup. It's in a cheapo plastic box so I like to keep it out of sight

The fancy stainless push buttons were from Schurter and cost as much as the boombox. The black gates were even more than this but all in I think it's cost under 200 so not a bad effort.

The cost isn't too bad when you spread it over a few months. The main thing for me is the enjoyment from making something yourself, and if you end up with something that sounds better than what you could buy for 3 or 4 times the price, that's just a bonus.

I'm listening to it through a Megalampizator that I built from the details given on the Lampizator web page. Although the designer doesn't recommend this as one of his best efforts I've got to say I'm very happy with the sound. Very unforced and natural and works well with the pace and detail of the Shigaclone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict1172.jpg (85.5 KB, 1618 views)
Old 20th April 2009, 02:04 PM   #3329
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nice bit of kit..
Old 20th April 2009, 09:33 PM   #3330
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello, I like this project and want to build one too.

Stupid question from a newbee:

Is the JVC RC-EZ51 regarding the CD part identical with the JVC RC-EZ31 that is normally used for this project?

I can easily buy a 52 in Holland but thye 31 is obsolete!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!