Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2009, 11:13 PM   #3251
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Here the Trichord clock 4 on the board.

Greetings,
Rudy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010369.jpg (95.7 KB, 1525 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 01:35 AM   #3252
audiojoy is offline audiojoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

MAssimo

you are doing a great job, keep experimenting with those caps. I am gonna have another look at the schematics and follow those power supply caps and the surface mount regulators as my next target. I changed surface mount voltage regs on my DAC for 317's and got excellent results.
Old 31st March 2009, 05:18 AM   #3253
Peter Daniel is offline Peter Daniel  Canada
diyAudio Member

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by brgds
This will be never ending story unless you take a closer look at the boombox schema and LC/LA data sheets and try to understand what's it all about...
Honestly, when I read such reports on juggling with caps and wasting time on completely hopeless efforts, the only thing I can say is: I feel sorry...
Did you already forget your own reports and countless times you've been changing caps yourself? Maybe you should rather say: "I learned my lesson" and let others learn theirs at their own pace.

This is one of the few threads where there is no "Condemnation without Examination" and lets keep it this way.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st March 2009, 10:23 AM   #3254
Erik van Voorst is offline Erik van Voorst  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello Rudy....Wonderfull faceplate.....that makes it a pro player....incredible difference.....
Old 31st March 2009, 04:33 PM   #3255
leoparleur is offline leoparleur  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

The transformer you mention should work fine.

As to reference the measurements I've done:

http://cid-54ea5cde40dc26de.skydrive...%20voltage.jpg

am I correct in hooking up this way. I really not sure about the green and white wire:

http://cid-54ea5cde40dc26de.skydrive...ne/my%20PS.JPG

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2009, 12:13 AM   #3256
diyAudio Member

Might i add also to BRGDS's comments that i fortuitously changed a couple of the caps in the power supply line and got very positive results which has driven me to look harder. I will repeat that cap change and post photos if i get the same very positive audible results again.

Waste of time??? I dont think so, but can get expensive experimenting.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:20 AM   #3257
diyAudio Member

I have now got my puck with two layers one of aluminium and rubber and another of ebony. The combination is the best yet for my set up. Not as overpowering in the upper bass as the ebony was but neither leaner sounding as the aluminium was. A great in between sound.

But i guess supporting structures for the transport will have a lot of say in the final effects retrieved from the many different pucks made for each of us.
Old 1st April 2009, 03:47 PM   #3258
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Did you already forget your own reports and countless times you've been changing caps yourself? Maybe you should rather say: "I learned my lesson" and let others learn theirs at their own pace.

This is one of the few threads where there is no "Condemnation without Examination" and lets keep it this way.
No, I’ll never forget hundreds of hours I spent working on clones with iron and box of caps, listening sessions with my friends, hectoliters of beer drunk, ups and downs, strange comments from my family members. Not counting 7 boomboxes used. That was really funny.
However from time perspective I must say that was blind alley and waste of time.
And yes, maybe I should say: my lesson learned is: there are no miracles when you deal with 20MHz circuits, no miraculous caps even those red ones , and what really counts here and brings best results is regular engineering based on understanding of how this black box works inside.
Old 1st April 2009, 05:28 PM   #3259
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brgds
{snip}
And yes, maybe I should say: my lesson learned is: there are no miracles when you deal with 20MHz circuits, no miraculous caps even those red ones , and what really counts here and brings best results is regular engineering based on understanding of how this black box works inside.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:34 AM   #3260
leoparleur is offline leoparleur  Canada
diyAudio Member

Anyone could spare a little help on post #3255. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone storyHide this!Advertise here!